• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update on SDSU and D1AA Move.

Congratulations, Jackrabbit fans.

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
      Congratulations and welcome aboard travel partner!!!!!

Will this be SDSU's exploratory (last in D2, first in 5 year transition) year?
      Yes, this is SDSU's exploratory year.

Comment

Originally posted by tony
        Congratulations, Jackrabbit fans.
        Thanks tony, now lets find a conf.

Comment

Thanks to President Miller, and AD Oien, for a hard fought vistory, I cant wait for the new opportunities, and to see SDSU successful at the next level. Props also to NDSU who was instrumental in making this happen, Thanks Bison!
          Go Jacks!

Comment

Did anyone watch the Sioux Falls news last night?  If so how was the "mood" about our move?

Go Jacks!

Comment

Here is the NCC's brave face on the issue.  

http://www.msnbc.com/local/KDLT/M318648.asp

Go State!

Comment

Here is even more stuff about our move from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/sidebar/S...article1.shtml

http://www.argusleader.com/news/Saturdayarticle2.shtml

Go State!

Comment

The Yankton Press & Dakotan is the daily paper closest to Vermillion and does the best job of covering USD had this article about the move to D1.

The first part of the article is boiler plate of the other articles posted but the last part includes comments from Dave Corneman from Yankton who won the D2 wrestling championship at 167 in 1984. Some of you guys probably knew him.

It's Official: SDSU Headed To DI
                  BY RANDY DOCKENDORF
                  P&D Regional Editor

While the remaining NCC schools chart a new direction, former SDSU wrestler Dave Cornemann said he is excited about his alma mater's future. The Yankton resident won the Division II title at 167 pounds in 1984 -- in turn qualifying for the Division I tournament -- and was a two-time All-American.

"With Division I, you have doubled the number of scholarships and can recruit more athletes," he said. "And there is the argument that you rise to the level of your competition. If you go against the best, you become the best."

While some athletes will shy away from SDSU as a Division I school, Cornemann said he thinks the lure of a scholarship and Division I will also draw athletes. And many NCC athletes, such as wrestlers and football players, are already competing against Division I and I-AA opponents, he said.

The SDSU wrestling program has finished in the top five in the nation the last eight years and was national runner-up two years ago, Cornemann said. He expects the Jackrabbits will continue such excellence.

"When a coach comes to your house and asks if you want a full scholarship to come to SDSU, it comes down to dollars and cents. The scholarship is the bottom line," he said.

"Initially, there will be some who don't go to SDSU because they can't compete for a national championship in those first years. But once the school gets through that transition period, the chance to compete for a national championship will pick up interest immensely."

By making their commitment to Division I, both SDSU and NDSU have opened their door for conference membership, Cornemann said. "Other conferences are now going to seriously consider them," he said.

The NCC, particularly SDSU, already draws fan attendance comparable to much larger schools, Cornemann said. SDSU fans will continue their tremendously loyalty and possibly pick up new fans and financial backing, he said.

"There is an excitement of having a Division I team in South Dakota," he said. "I was dead set against it at first, but now I think we need to jump on board and ride this pony and have some fun with it."

If you want to read the entire article here is the link

http://www.yankton.net/stories/08160...30816001.shtml

Comment

Here is an excerpt from one of the Article1 of the Sioux Falls Argus which did not surpise me at all.

"The move will end long-standing rivalries with NCC schools, and not everyone is content with the decision. Jim Marking, a former SDSU basketball coach from 1965 to 1974, called it "a sad day."

"It's a very disappointing day for all alums and friends of South Dakota State," he said. "Everybody's very, very disappointed. I haven't talked to anyone all summer who's for the move."

Gee Jim, who have you been talking to besides guys your age?

Comment

I see Jim Marking just can't let this go. Talk about sour grapes. He seems to imply the whole state is against this move, who has he been talking too. If he keeps this up I believe he will taint the positive things he has done for the SDSU.

Comment

Jack Guy

Agreed, I think Jim is close to 75 or maybe older, though in good health, I think he kind of feels he is being forgotten. Most young alums would not generally know much about him unless they did some research on his coaching years or read posts from an old guy like me.

Jims old assistant at Watertown and a player I saw play in 1953 at the Barn, and a SDSU ALUM, Lyle "Bud" Belk also wrote some negative letters to the editor in the Brookings Register last fall. Bud was once the head BB coach at NDSU and won one of their NCC titles. Bud letters also attacked NDSU.

Between these two guys there has been some noise, but I think its the younger alums, especially the out of state ones that will make a difference in the long run.
                        We believe and should put our money where our mouth is and thats something some of the locals have not done and some will probably not.

People in Brookings and surrounding areas have grown accostom to going on the bus to Mankato, and Omaha and many have taken trips to Greeley via Deadwood. They never went with an empty bus.

I think with newer conferences, the travel agencies in Brookings and Sioux Falls have a real opportunity here. They will have prepare new packages and offer them to fans and alumni. I think this will help out a great deal.

I am 62, but I want SDSU to progress not go backwards.

I think that quote from President Miller indicating that one conference refused to do any more consideration until they filed the petition with NCAA speaks volumnes and kind shuts all the negative talk down. SDSU either had to enter or leave the doorway. We could no longer block the doorway.

So its a good feeling and hopefully things will all fall in place.

Comment

It is so sad to see people who can't take defeat well. Coach Marking has lost all credibility with me by making such ridiculous statements. I am sure some members of the SDSU family are slightly disappointed, however to suggest that no one wanted to make the move is preposterous. Everyone I talk to. . . my wife, my son, my dogs. . .thinks that I should be the next football coach at SDSU

It also makes me very angry when he presumes to speak for me when he said "It's a very disappointing day for all alums and freinds of South Dakota State". > As most of you know I am an alum, and I could not be more delighted with our move.

If coach marking wants to be a true friend of the University he needs to keep his ridiculous comments to himself. It is ok to have your own opinion, it is ok to fight for what you believe in, after all this is America. But please if you are going to make statments to the press be responsible.

My guess is he is the kind of guy that would say the Barn is where SDSU should play its home basketball games. Don't get me wrong the Barn was great for its time, but Frost Arena is a better fit for the University today. Much in the same way the NCC was a great place to play for many year, we have just out grown it as well.

I have said it before and I will say it again. It is a GREAT time to be a rabbit. ;D

Go SDSU!

Comment

[quote author=SDSUFAN We believe and should put our money where our mouth is .[/quote]

I agree with you SDSUFAN. As one who has contributed to the University before on nemours occasions. I will be looking into new ways to contribute to the athletic department in support of our move to D I. Lets back the Jacks!

Go State!

Comment

On a news cast, (don't remember which channel) they interviewed Coach Marking and he said "98% of people around the state are against the move". Most of the people I have talked to are for the move. Everyone knows there are some naysayers out there, but not 98%. His recent quotes just make him sound like a rambling old man.
                              When SDSU first said they were going to look at the move, I talked to a lot of people that were against it, but as they became more educated they changed their minds. There were even some old people that I thought would never be for DI, and they have come around to see the light. Long term this is undoubtedly the best move for SDSU and great news for the state of South Dakota.
                              I wonder if we will loose any doners or season ticket holders over the move. The move to DI is like the war with Iraq. Even if people were against the war, they were still supporting the soldiers. I hope the same applies at SDSU, and people continue to support our athletic programs.

Comment

Here's the article from The Forum- They did have another article strictly about SDSU making the move to DI, but it isn't on their website yet.

Edit again- the other article was listed as a story on 8/15 on the website, and was just the AP story of SDSU's announcement

D-I decision: NDSU played into determination
                                By Jeff Kolpack  
                                jkolpack@forumcomm.com
                                The Forum - 08/16/2003

South Dakota State scored a victory for the school’s Division I proponents Friday by announcing it will leave Division II after this season.

Give North Dakota State an assist on the play.

SDSU athletic director Fred Oien said the school will leave the North Central Conference effective July 1, 2004, and begin a Division I schedule in the fall of 2004.

Oien cited keeping pace with NDSU as one reason for the move.

“If we stayed, we would have been one year out of synch,” Oien said. “It complicates a conference that would want both of us.”

NDSU and SDSU have worked as a team in discussions with the Big Sky Conference last winter. Oien said the fact both are land-grant institutions, have competed against each other since 1921 and are in relative close proximity made it easier to make the Division I move.

“They played a significant role,” Oien said of NDSU. “We admire what North Dakota State has accomplished. We did not want to lose that friendship and spirited competition.”

NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor said SDSU’s decision was good news.

“It is real big to be able to have somebody come in for two games with a fairly easy travel schedule,” Taylor said. “Institutionally, (a conference) now has the opportunity to add two good land grants -- assuming from the president’s standpoint we are attractive.”

NDSU announced its Division I intentions in August 2002, but said it would begin its exploratory year this fall. SDSU, on the other hand, is moving immediately.

Under the exploratory concept, a school remains in Division II, but must begin administrative steps toward Division I status.

SDSU’s decision goes against its self-imposed criteria that it have conference affiliation in place before making the move. NDSU had a similar standard when it began serious Division I discussions in 2001.

After talking with Division I athletic directors and presidents in the past several months, Oien said SDSU had to re-think its position if it was serious about going Division I.

“It became clear to us that without a commitment to Division I, other conference’s interest in us would be minimal.”

The school’s budget, Oien said, will increase from its current $4.3 million to nearly $7 million by 2009. He said a successful endowment drive is giving the athletic department a sense of security.

“If we didn’t have that in place, we would probably struggle financially,” he said.

SDSU’s decision will leave the NCC with seven programs in 2004-05.

Mike Marcil, the NCC commissioner, said in a statement that the league’s Council of Presidents and Institutional Representatives will be meeting in the next few months to discuss expansion. He said the league would like to get back to eight members.

Comment

Working...
                                X