Update on SDSU and D1AA Move.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Update on SDSU and D1AA Move.

The 18 month rule has kind of ticked me off since it happened. After we announced that we would not move without a conf., the NCC seemed to think that they had us. It seems to me that this new rule was designed to put pressure on us and make us stay. I think it has had the opposite effect, and given us the perfect reason to leave without a firm offer in place from another conf. Which I personally perfer. The sooner we get started down the D I/I AA road the better.

Go State!

Comment

At Depot Radio KJJQ in Brookings they have a audio play of Coach Stieglemeier on the up-coming season. Also it states that a press conference is schedule for tomorrow at 10:00 in the HPER BLDG and the trophy room
      KJJQ is carrying this press conference live and you can listen in

Here is the link:

http://www.depotradio.com/sports.php

Comment

I think the press conference might have something to do about a possible  move to DI   .

Keep us Bison fans updated on the press conference. I can't listen to the radio all day at work.

Comment

Article on the Brookings Register web site:

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?n...2769&rfi=6

Word on Division I decision looms

By: John Andrews August 14, 2003

SDSU athletic director says conference invitation unlikely before Sept. 1 deadline

There's an old saying that no news is good news. That's not necessarily the case for South Dakota State University and its quest to reclassify itself athletically from Division II to Division I.

The university has been engaged in the process of finding and securing membership in a conference for the better part of this year. But according to SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien, it's not likely that a conference will come calling before the university's Sept. 1 deadline for notifying the North Central Conference of its intentions.

"We have told people publicly that we're going to make an announcement before Sept. 1 either way, whether we're going to seek reclassification or if we're dropping the reclassification pursuit for this year," Oien said. "It is highly unlikely at this date, since there have not been site visits, that any conference membership would be offered or extended in the next two or three weeks."

If that's the case, SDSU does have a back-up plan of sorts - an agreement with North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, California Poly-San Luis Obispo, Southern Utah, St. Mary's College (Calif.) and the University of California-Davis to form a football-only conference.

"In principle this June, we agreed that if we were all in need of that setting - because they all have the same problem we do, scheduling problems - if that were to occur, that could begin as early as 2004-2005."

Oien said the university was also looking into a proposed wrestling conference that would include North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Air Force Academy, Fresno State and six schools in Ohio.

He said SDSU would still continue its search for a conference if that situation were to play out.

SDSU has been talking with different conferences, describing SDSU's programs and situation.

"We're doing what we can to encourage people to look at us."

The North Central Conference, SDSU's current Division II league, has a Sept. 1 withdrawal deadline that the university has been working to meet. Should a conference approach SDSU offering membership by that date, SDSU would still be obligated to the NCC for another year. The Sept. 1 deadline is meant to coincide with the NCAA's Dec. 31 deadline for application to Division I status.

Oien said one of the strengths in the university's talks with conferences is its partnership with NDSU, which has already declared its intention to move to Division I.

"There are just some fundamental things about having two schools that are very much alike in terms of their academic program and athletic programs, partnering together for travel purposes. If we joined a conference and a school came this way for a weekend series, we're very close in comparison."

SDSU and NDSU shopped that partnership to the Big Sky Conference earlier this year, but that league's presidents showed some opposition and encouraged the two universities to continue looking.

That may be because of NDSU's declaration of its intentions to move to Division I. That puts NDSU and SDSU at least a year apart on reclassification.

"It really splits our partnership up in negotiations with the conferences. We're dealing with that as we speak."

©Brookings Register 2003
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is the Argus take:

http://www.argusleader.com/sports/Fridayfeature.shtml

SDSU to officially declare intent to go Division I today
            From Staff Reports

published: 8/15/2003

South Dakota State University officials will announce today whether or not the school will move forward with its planned move to Division I athletics.

It is expected that the school will formally say it's ready to make the move to without a conference in place, joining North Dakota State in the ascent to Division I. The press conference starts at 10 a.m. in the Ginn Trophy Room of the HPER Center on the campus.

University President Peggy Miller gave the state Board of Regents "an informational item that this is our position," during the board's meeting last weekend in Sturgis, SDSU Athletic Director Fred Oien said last week. Neither he nor Miller would reveal that position.

SDSU must notify the North Central Conference, the school's current Division II league, of its affiliation plans by Sept. 1. If SDSU officially proceeds with the leap to Division I and notifies the league before that deadline, this season will be the Jackrabbits' last in the NCC.

SDSU leaders previously said the school would not leave Division II unless a Division I league for their teams was in place. However, Miller said last week the school was interested in at least three Division I conferences, but she declined to name them.

The Jackrabbits want to shift to Division I-AA in football, the NCAA's second-highest classification, and Division I in the school's other 19 sports.

KWSN-AM 1230 will broadcast the press conference live.

Go State!

Comment

Oien said the university was also looking into a proposed wrestling conference that would include North Dakota State, Northern Colorado, Air Force Academy, Fresno State and six schools in Ohio.
              That's the first I have heard of the wrestling conference. Sounds like a great idea.

Comment

WNAX-yankton will also cover the press conference live, but I dont think that will be on the internet. Radio freq is 570 AM.  They have had limited their live broadcasts to sporting events.

I listen to Steve Emming this morning 6:35am, before he jumped in the car and headed to Brookings. Steve seemed to think that it is a green light. Mr. Emming is generally very careful in what he says so thats a good sign.

Yes good news on the wrestling  conference. Its amazing what will fall in place when schools start looking to move up in competition.

Comment

It is offical, South Dakota State University will be moving up to D I/I AA! Yahoo!!! ;D

Lets Go Rabbits!

Comment

Congratulations and welcome aboard travel partner!!!!!

Will this be SDSU's exploratory (last in D2, first in 5 year transition) year?

Comment

Originally posted by bisonguy
                      Congratulations and welcome aboard travel partner!!!!!

Will this be SDSU's exploratory (last in D2, first in 5 year transition) year?
                      Thank you very much bisonguy! ;D It was my understanding from listening to the news conf. that this will be our last year in D II. So yes I think this is our exploratory year. I am sure the newspapers will be full of stories and will clairify this matter further. One of the reasons given for SDSU move now was to stay in step with NDSU, so I think so.

Go SDSU!
                      Go NDSU!

Comment

In the press conference Dr. Oien expressed that it became clear that conferences that SDSU and NDSU are persuing would not take SDSU seriously until they declared their intentions formally. It also came down to giving student athletes,coaches and fans a clear message of where we are heading. He also was very confident that the money is there with sponsorships and the endowment fund continues to grow. This is a monumental decision for SDSU and the state of South Dakota and I believe the school will distance itself from the other state schools in terms of excellence in both academics and athletics and enrollment.

Comment

Back in 1963, after SDSU won the College BB National championship and I was still a student, I thought the coach at the time Jim Iverson, would eventually lead us to D1 basketball. Several things happen in the subsequent years, and it did not happen.  Now 40 years later its going to happen. I am tickled s***less.

Comment

I would be very interested to hear how people in the SDSU family who have been opposed to this move will now react. Some of these people have figured very prominatley into SDSU. I would hope they can move beyond their differences and realize this is new era of opportunity. I realize old traditions and relationships are sometimes hard to leave behind, but I firmly believe this move is for the long term benefit of SDSU. Does anyone have that attitude or do you people that will not be able to move past leaving the NCC?

Comment

Of all the SDSU alums, who is best known and vocally opposed the move is former BB coach Jim Marking. I was very sad when he spoke out in vorciferous manner at the Board of Regents hearing in Sioux Falls.

Jim is such a likeable guy and he was a very good coach.
                              He had a hard time getting a high school coaching job after graduating from SDSU that he took a job working for the Railroad and coached Bruce High School in his spare time for one season.

Although his precessor at Hayti, had put a lot effort in building a basketball program at Hayti, his first season Hayti went to finals of the Class B state Tournament, and he had a freshman, player Garney Henley who went on to the CFL and was a great running back.

After 4 appearence in the State B tournament winning the championship once, Jim moved on to Watertown and was very sucessful. When I was attending Brookings High, Jim was coaching at Watertown.
                              Those Brookings vs Watertown games all went Jim Markings way, and I got tired of his broad smile each time he called time out and talked to his players.
                              One of his great players at Watertown was Doug Peterson who was on the 1963 national championship.
                              After Watertown, he became an assistant to Jim Iverson and was a excellent support coach especially in 1963.

He ended up head coach in 1965, when Iverson was fired due to a player scandal that is way too old to air out on this board. If you want to know the goory details send me a message and I will do that off the board.
                              Jim like to play D1 opponents, and one his great players was the late Lee Colburn, who I never saw play, but had great records and some still stand at SDSU
                              What got Jim upset about the move to D1 is beyond me. I hope he will come around as he is a very loyal SDSU alum besides being a winning BB coach at SDSU.

I know some of my close friends have indicated that moving to D1 was suicidal, but I thinK many are starting to come around.  I guess they feel that somehow the classification should be on the ballot, but its the president' decision, and many have had a hard time accepting that fact.

I am sure its going to change, as we start to move forward with new opponents and new conferences, those doubters will start to see the good.  

There are a lot of fans that love to travel and once they get a chance to see St George Utah and the beautiful surronding area, they will not miss the stinky stockyards of Sioux City Iowa.

That just my feel.  I think this board is just great and it appears most of the posters are SDSU alums living out of state. We have been very positive in our postering and maybe sharing rumors and takes etc. It is a lot of fun thats not quit now.

I glad that this opportunity has been a chance to make acquaintences and friendships with NDSU alums and fans.  The worst Hobo Day I have watched was the one in 1986, when the Bison demolished the Jacks. NDSU won the D2 national champ that year.

Comment

My hope (and feeling) is that like a hard fought primary election the party (in this case the SDSU family) will pull togehter now that it is all over with. This is a great op. for SDSU as well as the State of South Dakota! I have been waiting for this day for so long. Lets enjoy it. I would like to offer up my congratulations to President Miller, Fred Oien, and all who worked so hard to make this dream a reality. Nice job folks! ;D

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X