X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Southern University Game

Originally posted by 89rabbit
    Bluedog,

I must say I am impressed with the amount of coverage your paper gives you.  Looking forward to meeting you before the game.

Go State!  ;D
    So do I Dude

Comment

McNeese tickets move slow

A long-anticipated marquee matchup between two south Louisiana football powers has been greeted, perhaps oddly enough, with slow ticket sales.

As of Wednesday afternoon, Southern University's home and season opener with McNeese State had drawn sales of only 9,800 tickets, Southern Athletic Director Floyd Kerr said. A.W. Mumford Stadium seats 28,400 fans. The sales numbers could be slightly higher, because Kerr said, McNeese, which has "a couple thousand tickets," had not reported sales of its allotment. According to the Lake Charles American-Press, McNeese had sold 1,100 of its 1,400 tickets as of Tuesday.
      Read the story

Comment

Little more on line for Ackley

Even the kicker is amped for this one, with two small-college football powers, Southern University and McNeese State, playing each other for the first time in a long-anticipated, long-debated duel at 7 p.m. today in A.W. Mumford Stadium. "For me, it's going to be a pretty major game," Southern sophomore kicker Breck Ackley, hailing from LaGrange High School in Lake Charles, said. "I know the feeling when I go out there on the field. It's going to be a rush of emotions. I'm just going to have to keep it down a little. Like I learned in the Bayou Classic last year: just to keep it down and channel it toward kicking."
        Read the story

Comment

SU-McNeese game matchup

By JOE SCHIEFELBEIN
          jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
          Advocate sportswriter

SOUTHERN OFFENSE VS. McNEESE STATE DEFENSE
          Advantage: McNEESE

Quarterback Thomas Ricks gets his first start against one of the toughest opponents SU has faced in the Pete Richardson era. We'll find out about Ricks in a hurry. Ricks is going to need help, having his new 1-2 punch at running back, Gerald Holmes and Steel Adams, produce and block well; have the right side of his offensive line answer the call; and have his untested set of wide receivers grow up in a hurry. SU's best, most-proven playmaker is slippery, quick WR James Vernon. McNeese is two-deep in Division I-A transfers at the ends and has preseason All-American John Paul Jones at tackle. The left side of SU's line is the most experienced, with tackle Myniya Smith, so keep an eye on McNeese trying to exploit the right side.

McNEESE STATE OFFENSE VS. SOUTHERN DEFENSE

Advantage: SOUTHERN

McNeese's strength is in fifth-year senior Scott Pendarvis, a graduate student who is 24-5 as a starter, a hulking offensive line with four returning starters and a punishing attitude for running the ball. The Cowboys have to replace their backfield, but there's a lot of confidence in the replacement candidates, Chris Thomas and Steven Whitehead. Southern's line and linebackers are the best SU has had since 1999. Deep and speedy, that front seven will have to stand tall. Southern's secondary lost its top four players from a year ago. Though McNeese isn't a pass-oriented team like SU will face in the SWAC, the Cowboys will take their shots.

SPECIAL TEAMS
          Advantage: EVEN

Southern sophomore K Breck Ackley went 10-for-13 on field-goal tries, making his last eight, as a freshman. A Lake Charles product, he'll have to show some cool tonight. The Jaguars don't have Ezra Landry to return kicks, but KR Kevin Moffett, with 4.3 speed, and PR James Vernon are as dangerous as they come. ... McNeese senior K John Marino is a preseason All-American, making 16 of 21 FGs last season. P Jason Cook averaged a solid 38.2 yards per punt last season.

SOUTHERN WILL WIN IF:
          The Jaguars protect the football. Ricks has to be steady, because McNeese will bring the house to test him, and get the ball to his playmakers. That's where SU was successful last season. If James Vernon is making plays, Southern has a chance to win. The defense, especially the secondary, has to avoid giving up the big play.

McNEESE STATE WILL WIN IF:

Pendarvis can control the game. The Cowboys' front lines have to be better and more consistent than the Jaguars'. Meanwhile, they have to get to Ricks and force turnovers. Plus, their blitz has to be more effective than the ones Southern faced last season, because that's an area SU exploited all year.

PREDICTION
          Southern is playing for the pride of the SWAC. McNeese has beaten SWAC kingpin Grambling the last two seasons (52-20 and 31-20). And the Division I-AA clique says SWAC teams aren't in the class of Southland teams. Both coaches have said all week that this one will be physical, especially with the teams strong on both front lines.

SOUTHERN 21, McNEESE STATE 20

Comment

Good luck Jags!

Comment

Cowboys' power defeats SU

Southern's football team is going to wake up a little sore this morning.

There's a bruise to the ego, falling 35-17 to eighth-ranked McNeese State on Saturday night in the first meeting between the two Division I-AA powers. And there's the bruising the Jaguars took from the constant pounding by the Cowboys at A.W. Mumford Stadium. Southern might be a little sore at itself for its own inconsistent play.
              Read the story

Comment

This game is now the center of our focus. Lets hope for a real good showing. A win would be big. This team has talent and we need to play perfect to win. Its going to be a challenge without a home crowd, so those attending need to cheer loud. ;D

Comment

Well, it is finally here. It is SU game week and I am fired up. I have been looking forward to this game since it was announced. I can't wait to get to Baton Rouge and cheer on the Rabbits! Should be a fun one!

Go State, beat the Jaguars! ;D

Comment

How many Jackrabbits are making the trip to Baton Rouge. For those that come make sure you tailgate.

Comment

Just a guess, but I would say between 300 and 500. I will be there and am planning on getting the full SU experience. Texas_Jacks_Fan and I are even going to head over to the LSU tailgate before the SDSU-SU tailgate. Looking forward to a really fun day! ;D ;D ;D

Go State! ;D

Comment

Southern coaches enjoy switch in game-week routine

Sunday is no longer a day of rest for the Southern University football team.

The Jaguars went back on the practice field Sunday afternoon, as the team has flipped its day off, now taking off Mondays instead. Southern changed its game-week routine because an abundance of players had class conflicts with practice on Monday afternoon.
                        Read the story

Comment

Originally posted by bluedog

Sunday is no longer a day of rest for the Southern University football team.

The Jaguars went back on the practice field Sunday afternoon, as the team has flipped its day off, now taking off Mondays instead.

God won't like it! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

Southern shuffling secondary after early-season struggles

Southern University will have a new-look secondary when the Jaguars take the field Saturday.

Junior strong safety Darwon Hammond, who started the first three games, is now a backup.

Senior Gabe Wallace, who transferred from Mississippi State in August, moves from free safety to strong safety, the most crucial spot because that's the one that makes all the calls for the secondary. Also, senior Victor Phillips moves from right cornerback to free safety, where he played during the spring. And senior Ahmad Treaudo moves up to take Phillips' starting spot at right corner.
                            Read the story

Comment

Well I wish the boys a safe trip to Southern, hope they can stay injury free . (We well need everyone healthy if we want to beat the Bison). Southern will just be to much for the Rabbits this time around.

SU 65 - SD State 10 ???.

On a side note, for those of you that are against the high school playing on our home turf. It's rained here all week and if the Jacks were to be home this weekend it would prove your point.

Coach Stig said there is about a 1/2" of standing water on the practice field and wasn't sure how much they were going to be able to practice on it.

Comment

Here is a link to the Southern web site. Some good info here:

http://www.jagsports.net/SU_Site/dat...kota_State.pdf

Go State! ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X