Re: Southern University Game

Here is the remainder of the article:
    Jacks to play I-AA power Southern
    Chris Solari
    csolari@argusleader.com

published: 6/23/2004

Addition of Jaguars completes schedule

Part 2
    Georgia Southern has won six national championships at the I-AA level since its inception in 1978. The Eagles finished 25th in I-AA at 7-4 last year, the same record the Jackrabbits had in their final season in Division II.

SDSU's game at Montana State, typically a big player in the Big Sky, was changed. It will now be played on Oct. 23, because the Bobcats scheduled a game with I-A Colorado State for Sept. 25. MSU was ranked 21st in last season's final I-AA poll.

Having a Hobo Day game against Augustana is a rare occurence. Since its inception in 1912, the Jacks and Vikings have only met seven other times for SDSU's homecoming, the last time in 2001.

"I'm a sentimental guy. It's going to be unique to have Hobo Day against one of our foes we've played for so many years," Stiegelmeier said. "It adds a little more interest to the game."

2004 SDSU football schedule

Date Opponent Time
    Sept. 4 at UC Davis* 8 p.m.
    Sept. 11 WINONA STATE 7 p.m.
    Sept. 18 WESTERN OREGON 7 p.m.
    Sept. 25 at Southern (La.) 7 p.m.
    Oct. 2 at Cal Poly* 8 p.m.
    Oct. 9 NORTH DAKOTA ST.* 7 p.m.
    Oct. 16 OPEN
    Oct. 23 at Montana State 2:05 p.m.
    Oct. 30 at Georgia Southern Noon
    Nov. 6 AUGUSTANA (Hobo Day) 2 p.m.
    Nov. 13 at Southern Utah* 4 p.m.
    Nov. 20 at Northern Colorado* 1 p.m.
    * Great West Football Conference game

(all times Central)

Weather
    Temp: 57 °F

NEWSPAPER ADS
    Click to enlarge

Customer Service | Terms of Service | Send feedback | Subscribe to The Argus Leader

Copyright 2003 Argus Leader. All rights reserved

USA Today | USA Weekend | Gannett Co. Inc. | Gannett Foundation | PheasantCountry.com

Comment

For those who plan to go to the Southern game (still thinking about it myself) save up your pennies. Southern Football tickets just took a price increase. They range from $28 - $38. Makes Jackrabbit tickets look pretty affordable. I guess that is how they can afford to pay SDSU $50,000 for the game.

Go State! ;D

Comment

Southern got approval to make improvements to their facilities.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/...mford001.shtml

SU wins approval for projects worth $50 million, mostly in BR

Capitol news bureau

A project is planned to add 2,500 seats to A.W. Mumford Stadium at Southern University.  
        The Southern University system got the go-ahead Thursday to spend $50 million  mostly at its Baton Rouge campus  for athletic, dormitory and other improvements.
        The State Bond Commission approved a cooperative endeavor between Southern and Millennium Housing LLC, a subsidiary of the Southern University System Foundation, to do the construction.

Southern's Baton Rouge campus is due $34.4 million worth of improvements, and the Southern campuses in New Orleans and Shreveport will split the rest.

The largest project, costing $10 million, will enclose the north end of Mumford Stadium and add 2,500 seats to the football arena.  

Other projects include:
        Dormitories to house 376 students, which is budgeted for $16.4 million.
        An intramural sports facility, costing $5.7 million.
        Improvements to the field of Mumford Stadium, which is estimated to cost $883,667.
        A $1 million baseball field house.

Higher student fees, dorm rent and higher ticket prices will pay for the work, said Curtis Lee, executive director of the Southern University System Foundation. . . .

That explains the Ticket price jump.    Seriously good for them, looks like they are spending some money to improve their product.  Can't wait for this game!

Go State!  ;D

Comment

Story about the Jag's Offense. Looks like they have a little work to do:

http://www.2theadvocate.com/stories/...ufoot001.shtml

SU rebuilding passing game

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
          jschiefelbein@theadvocate.com
          Advocate sportswriter

The Southern University passing game -- so feared last season -- is being rebuilt during free-flowing summer afternoons on its practice field.
          Soon, there will be escalating tests for the virtually new passing game, headed by senior quarterback Thomas Ricks, a first-year starter: Preseason practice starts Aug. 13, with the season opener Sept. 4. . . .

With first-team All-Southwestern Athletic Conference receiver Alfred Ard signing with the Cleveland Indians organization earlier this month, Southern is without its top four receivers from last year's record-setting offense. . . .

Last season, the Jaguars replaced the top three receivers -- 1,695 yards and 14 TDs -- from the 2002 season.

The key difference is that the receivers who broke out for career years last season -- Ard, Chris Davis, Drayton Bridges and Lionel Joseph -- all had experience. They had 41 catches, 490 yards and three TDs, in 2002 and 31 catches, 483 yards and one TD in 2001. . . .

LSU transfer Junior Joseph, a freshman who practiced in the spring, takes over at Ard's spot. Walk-on Emile Bryant drew raves from the staff in the spring. And junior Antonio Overstreet, who returned punts but did not catch a pass last season, also excelled in the spring.

With Justin Plummer, a freshman who redshirted last season, not expected to be eligible this season, the offense could possibly rely heavily on its three incoming true freshmen: Gerard Landry, Edward Robinson and Rogers Taylor. Plus, Darren Coates, who did not practice as a nonqualifier last season, could also help out, either at running back or wide receiver.

"Those guys have to step up and integrate themselves into the offense," Oliver said. "We signed those guys expecting to come in and compete for playing time, and we're going to hold them to that."

The concern is the experience factor.

"The main thing I'm concerned about is developing the chemistry with the quarterback and the wide receivers," Southern coach Pete Richardson said. "I think we've got enough talent there. It's just a matter of them getting enough experience they need."

The worry of having a new hand running a no-huddle offense is lessened by Ricks having soaked up Oliver's system the last two seasons, plus three springs.

For his part, Ricks said he is comfortable as far as getting the timing down, after the spring and now with the volunteer throwing sessions this summer. . . .

"We spread it around, which makes us hard to defend. But to achieve that, everybody has to make the defense react like it should. If one guy takes a defender where he's not supposed to be, it's a recipe for disaster.

"The thing about our offensive system is you're almost more important with what you do when the ball's not in your hands. That's a tough lesson to learn for a young receiver. Sometimes, you're the clearout guy for someone else. . . .

"People are going to challenge us early, see if they can rattle the receiving corps, see if they can get some heat on the quarterback and see if he can handle the blitz like we did last year," Oliver said. "To face that challenge, it's nicer to have a line that's talented and deep coming back to lead your offense.

"We're going to build the team around that core of players: the offensive line, the running backs and the tight end. That takes a lot of pressure off your quarterback and young receivers. That's frankly the way I'd rather do it."

Young Defense for us, young offense for them, anything could happen. Should be a good game!

Go State! ;D

Comment

Howdy, y'all

Adding Southern U-Baton Rouge to your 2004 schedule will gain SDSU more national word-of-mouth.

However, I'm surprised that none of you told the fan from SU-Baton Rouge about the Black Hills and and world-famous Mount Rushmore.

Speaking of which, how far is Brookings from Mt. Rushmore and have any of you visited it?

I'll be rooting for the Jacks in 2004 just as long as you all root for Wyoming when we host Ole Miss in Laramie, WY this fall.

Comment

Brookings is about 6-7 hours from Mt. Rushmore...and, sure, we've all been there a few times...it seems I'm in the Black Hills once or twice a year at a minimum for business and some pleasure. The Black Hills are one of the real gems in the USA.

Comment

I was in Baton Rouge this morning and thought I would check out Mumford Stadium. very,very nice..... The pictures don't do it justice. It is big, and impressive. I cant wait for our game with the Jags. That stadium would make a lot of D1A schools envious. One question for the Jag fans... Where is tailgating permitted?  there doesnt seem to be much open space. I may have missed it somewhere - as I didnt go around the North side of the stadium. Jack Fans... try to attend this game, Games like this are why we moved up to D1 (AA)
                I for one am counting the days (66) until we rumble with the Jags in the bayou....

Comment

u can tailgate just about anywhere on campus. U will know what area u should not be in because it will be rope off. My advice get there early to get a good spot. The people who have RV's has the best spots. After the work is finish to the endZone area. The stadium will look wonderful. sept 25 is just around the corner. ARE U READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL.

Comment

The SWAC held it's media day. Looks like Southern should be strong again, picked #1 in the West.

http://www.swac.org/04-05/football/04pof-team.htm

Go State! ;D

Comment

Story from Jagland. Here are some highlights.

Richardson pleased with team

Southern starts practice Friday

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
                      Advocate sportswriter

Southern University football coach Pete Richardson said he isn't worried about his team losing its step or failing to have its wind when practice starts. He has that feeling despite, because of the calendar, the break from the voluntary conditioning program and preseason practice is the longest the Jaguars have had in his tenure.
                      "The maturity level of the team is starting to come through," Richardson said. "I'm pleased.

"We did a good job as far as getting them ready, if the conditioning tests are any indication."

Southern, 12-1 and the black college national champion last season, reports Thursday and has its first practice Friday. . . .

On the importance of the strength and conditioning program, Richardson said, "That's when we think we build our football team." . . .

The task for addressing Richardson's mandate fell to strength and conditioning coach Daniel Morris . . .

This summer, the team got up and ran at 5:30 a.m. There was a fifth day added to the workout week. Martial arts sessions, a new facet, helped increase flexibility and hand movement. . . .

Sound very similar to a Story that Chris Solari wrote about the Jackrabbits "Acceleration Program".

Go State! ;D

Comment

Southern loses star players and camp opens today.

Southern's Peoples, George ineligible for entire season

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
                        Advocate sportswriter

Senior running back Lashun Peoples and sophomore free safety Jarmaul George, two first-team all-conference selections, will not play for the Southern University football team this season.
                        Peoples is academically ineligible, SU head coach Pete Richardson said, while George has been ruled ineligible to play by the NCAA.

Richardson said the NCAA "questioned," then disapproved, George's ACT score, which originally was approved by the Clearinghouse prior to last season.

Because George, the Southwestern Athletic Conference Freshman of the Year in 2003, was cleared by the NCAA last season, Richardson said, the Jaguars will not have to forfeit the 10 wins in the 11 games he played. . . .

George will, in effect, be a nonqualifier this season. He will not be able to practice in the fall or in spring drills, Richardson said. George can rejoin the team as a junior next season.

Peoples and George aren't the only players who won't be back when the defending black-college national champion reports Thursday and starts practice Friday.

Redshirt freshman wide receiver Justin Plummer, senior strong safety Gabe LaFrance, sophomore offensive guard Seth Rooks and junior offensive guard Keidrin Davis will not play this season either.

Plummer and Rooks are academically ineligible, Richardson said. LaFrance is also academically ineligible, secondary coach Henry Miller said. And Davis has left the team, offensive coordinator David Oliver said.

Those losses are in addition to the departure of All-SWAC first-team wide receiver Alfred Ard, who signed with the Cleveland Indians last month, and backup tight end Fred Perkins, who left for personal reasons after never catching a pass in his one and only season at SU, Richardson said.

Plus, in another blow, Arnold Sims, a black college All-American at right tackle, has a stress fracture in his leg, Oliver said, and could be out up to six weeks. Sims is on campus, receiving treatment.

"Losing three All-SWAC players in less than a month is tough," Richardson said. "You don't lose that many quality players without it affecting your program. Whether we're strong enough to overcome that ... hopefully, we have some young individuals who I think have some athletic ability. Now, it's just a matter of putting them in position to get the experience they need." . . .

For Peoples, losing this season means his career is over.

With 1,780 career rushing yards in two seasons, Peoples ranks fifth on the school's career totals.

A two-time All-SWAC first-team selection, Peoples was the 2002 SWAC Newcomer of the Year after leading the conference in rushing with 780 yards as a sophomore. He was a nonqualifier as a freshman after spending the previous year in a prep school.

Peoples ran for 1,000 yards and six touchdowns last season. He also caught 18 passes for 52 yards.

Without Peoples, senior Gerald Holmes is the leading returning rusher, after running for 267 yards and one TD last season. He also caught 10 passes for 38 yards. . . .

Holmes, at 5-foot-5, 165 pounds, is a scatback, like walk-on sophomore Jamaal Huff (5-10, 165), who worked out at quarterback last season before having a spring that impressed the offensive staff.

"(Holmes) is not the big-type back Peoples (5-11, 210) is, but we just have to do the things who utilize him best," Richardson said. "Of course, we have some others who are large. Hopefully, they can supplement that role." . . .

"I still feel we can have a pretty good team," Richardson said. "Experience-wise, you lose some guys who meant a lot to your program, but it opens up to give a younger individual an opportunity. Hopefully, we have some individuals who can step forward and play well for us.

"We have some young individuals who have a lot of skills. Experience-wise, that's what's going to kill them (early in the season). Hopefully, we'll be able to get through it."

Comment

Wow, I thought SDSU was having problems with off season attrition, but SU has more than their share. I think with a solid program, you can regroup and some other person in the depth chart is going to get a shot that he would not otherwise have. I think Coach Richardson is a class guy and will have a very tough team for the Jacks to face on Sept 25. If for not getting my house in order for resale, I would attend this game.

If Texas Jack says Mumford is a real deal, it is. ;D ;D

Comment

Just a thought on this game. I'm wondering if the young men on the team are disappointed to be playing in front of 25,500-30,000 fans or would they rather play in front of 936 people in St. Cloud on the same day? Can anyone help me ... bigjake do you understand the question? If not I'll try to draw some pictures (I'm really good at sketching stick men running the statue of liberty play) and send PDF files.

Comment

Here is an interesting paragraph in today Baton Rogue paper.

SU runs a no-huddle offense. In that scheme, signals from the sideline dictate where players line up and what formations to run. Plus, there are adjustments based on how the defense is lined up.

I can see this as a way to wear our defense down. It could be a long night if we cant make our defensive substitutions.

Comment

SU's "little engine that could" got interviewed at Jags media day.

http://2theadvocate.com/stories/0815...tUpaLEVt0xpmDt

Holmes up to challenge as starting tailback at SU

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
                                Advocate sportswriter

The smallest of the Southern University football team, Gerald Holmes, stands to have the biggest impact this season.
                                The 5-foot-5 Holmes, a former walk-on now on scholarship, is taking on the role of No. 1 tailback in place of the ineligible Lashun Peoples, a two-time All-Southwestern Conference pick.

"I've been ready to go since last year," said Holmes at the school's media/picture day on Saturday in A.W. Mumford Stadium. "Of course, I'm ready to go.

"Give me that weight. Put it on my shoulders. Let's roll with it."

The shoulders may seem small for that load. But the body is ready.  .  .  .

Not since the 5-7 Ryan Lewis blazed through the 1999 season (1,105 yards) will the Jaguars have such a small tailback.

The advantage of a Holmes is he can be a home-run hitter in the spread offense, something Southern really hasn't had since Lewis either.  .  .  .

"The offense, ideally, is suited to a guy who is what the NFL calls a third-down back, a guy who is equally dangerous catching the ball as he is running," Oliver said. "Gerald has great versatility, good hands and is pretty dangerous in the open field after he catches the ball."

Holmes said he played tailback and slot receiver at Carver High in New Orleans.

Holmes overtook Peoples by the end of last season. Now a fifth-year senior, Holmes started the last three games of last season.

He finished with 267 yards and one touchdown on 55 carries, averaging 4.9 yards per carry (better than Peoples' 4.6).  .  .  .

Apparently, the big void left by Peoples will be filled by a smaller -- in size only -- man.

"We always grade our players on three criteria: effort, toughness and knowledge of assignments. None of those grade talent," Oliver said. "That's where I think he personifies what we're looking for. He gives great effort. He has great toughness. He always knows what to do.

"He's a little guy, but you'd never know it in the way he plays."

Go Jacks!  

Comment

Working...
                                X