Kardoes or Berry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kardoes or Berry?

My little birdie tells me that Andy will get the start again this week. It also looks like Reed Burkhardt will be moved into the #2 spot. Maybe things looked different on film when the professionals looked at it than when us armchair qb's looked at it from our position in the stands.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up
      Kardoes deserves another shot. You can't bail out on him after one game in terrible playing conditions. (Does any other D-1 school in the nation share a football field with a high school team? The La Crosse fans were surprised by that.) Berry has potential is likely to be the man next year.
      Maybe we need to remind our fans...thanks to Brookings High School we have
      lights at SDSU so we can play night games...and the deal was the high school can play up there too. (The La Crosse team play on the same field conditions).

Comment

Originally posted by JackTwice
        My little birdie tells me that Andy will get the start again this week. It also looks like Reed Burkhardt will be moved into the #2 spot. Maybe things looked different on film when the professionals looked at it than when us armchair qb's looked at it from our position in the stands.

Or maybe we need some new professionals.

Comment

WOW! PHD aren't you the one who is always defending the newspapers in the area basically letting us all know that we don't know what we are talking about. I keep forgetting all of your years you spent playing and coaching the game of football qualifies you to know more about what should be going on on the field than anyone the university has hired to do that job.

I am not against questioning the coaches, because I have even done that this week. But, there is a reason I don't like the Vikings and that is because all of their fans in this area overreact after a loss and bail on the team. This is one loss. It is a bad loss but it is only one. If we go 3-8 this year I would suspect certain aspects of our program should be looked at a little more carefully. But I still beleive that the culture has to change before the football team will. We have been waiting 3 years to raise 20 milllion and a month or two ago NDSU got a donation of 8 million in one shot. They have the culture to have the expectations. We do not.

Comment

Oh I think you should take it easy on the good professor.  After all that one loss you are talking about, is what some believe, is the most embarrassing lose in program history.  It is akin to the famous "Dewey Defeats Truman" gaffe that the Chicago Tribune had in 1948.  If the Sioux Falls Argus Leader had such an embarrassing performance I think you would find jackphd calling them out.   At least that is my take.

I pretty sure you won't find many takers who want to argue that our football culture/funding currently is what it needs to be to win regularly when playing the highest level I-AA teams, however it should be sufficient to beat a D-III school with zero scholarships.  One of the reasons I have been so optimistic about our last two 6-5 seasons is because we are usually playing at what I thought was a significant scholarship disadvantage.  I have been very pleased with our progress up to Saturday.    Those who know me know that I am usually able to find the silver lining in any situation.  I am struggling with this one.

The other thought that comes into my mind is that two out of the three years that we have been in I-AA we were embarrassed in our opening day game (UC-Davis in '04 - UW-La Crosse '06).  This is concerning.

I hope this is just a glitch and that the team bounces back.  I will be at the next home game to cheer them on (heck I am even making the trip to UNI), but unless the Jacks win the Great West Championship I think it will be difficult to overlook the stain that this loss has already placed on this season.

Best of luck to the team and coaches, prove to me that last Saturday was just some sort of cosmic anomaly and that we are making strides that will lead to major I-AA success in the coming years.  I want to believe, I need to believe, I need to find that silver lining.   I will always support you, because you are my team.  Go Jackrabbits!

Go State!  

Comment

WOW! PHD aren't you the one who is always defending the newspapers in the area basically letting us all know that we don't know what we are talking about. I keep forgetting all of your years you spent playing and coaching the game of football qualifies you to know more about what should be going on on the field than anyone the university has hired to do that job.

I am not against questioning the coaches, because I have even done that this week. But, there is a reason I don't like the Vikings and that is because all of their fans in this area overreact after a loss and bail on the team. This is one loss. It is a bad loss but it is only one. If we go 3-8 this year I would suspect certain aspects of our program should be looked at a little more carefully. But I still beleive that the culture has to change before the football team will. We have been waiting 3 years to raise 20 milllion and a month or two ago NDSU got a donation of 8 million in one shot. They have the culture to have the expectations. We do not.
              Sure, I've expressed an informed opinion about the media. But I've never told anyone that their opinion about the media was invalid because they don't have a Ph.D. I have never tried to silence anyone as you are with that post. I have just disagreed agreeably and dealt with the substance of their critique of the media. Apparently what you're saying is that I'm not entitled to an opinion about our starting quarterback or about the coaching staff because I don't have the right resume to do so.

After tearing me a new one for daring criticize the coaching staff, you say you're not against questioning the coaches. What a muddled message. Which is it, JackTwice? Can we be critical or not?

I nominate JackTwice for UberMegaGlobalModerator so he can decide who is qualified to post on a given topic.

Comment

WOW!  PHD aren't you the one who is always defending the newspapers in the area basically letting us all know that we don't know what we are talking about.  I keep forgetting all of your years you spent playing and coaching the game of football qualifies you to know more about what should be going on on the field than anyone the university has hired to do that job.

I am not against questioning the coaches, because I have even done that this week.  But, there is a reason I don't like the Vikings and that is because all of their fans in this area overreact after a loss and bail on the team.  This is one loss.  It is a bad loss but it is only one.  If we go 3-8 this year I would suspect certain aspects of our program should be looked at a little more carefully.  But I still beleive that the culture has to change before the football team will.  We have been waiting 3 years to raise 20 milllion and a month or two ago NDSU got a donation of 8 million in one shot.  They have the culture to have the expectations.  We do not.
                I agree with you JackTwice, I am wanting to let our coaching staff work it out, as they are probably doing as I write. They may be in their offices, but I am sure they are having problems blacking out last week. No doubt their are focusing on Montana and we should too.  

I also agree about the culture point you made. Saturday night as every home game I see the same thing. People at half time are glued to their seats as long as the Pride is on the field. So as the Pride is done their half time thing, they all rush to the watercloset. As much as I respect the Pride, it gulls me that they seem to at times be the main attraction. Sometimes I think we should just have Pride Concert and play football during the concert intermission. Something has gone wrong when we seem to be in this position.

As much Coach Stig has done a very good job hiring qualified assistants, we have a tough time hanging on to them more than three or four years. Unless they become real attachted to SDSU, they are gone when the first good offer comes.

Football when I was growing up was really king at SDSU. That was a long time ago and even before CAS. Ralph Ginn seemed to find good kids from SD,IA and Minn and was able to win  several NCC championships. It seemed in the early 1960's there were two big game and winning both usually won the NCC. These two games were UND and UNI. The Bison struggled as did USD and Augie.

When Ginn retired, we hired a Coach Craigthorpe who was a very able coach. I got to know one of the his former players who felt that if SDSU had been able to hold on to him, SDSU would have been okay. Craigthorpe was hired away by a new institution in the late 1960's after one year at SDSU, one we know today as Weber State.  He ended up at Oregan State, so his success went some where else. I dont know but I suspect salary offer by Weber even then could not be matched.

The next guy Conrad lasted two years. Again, a guy who knew how to coach, and an assistant at Kansas before coming to SDSU. He was hired away by Arkansas State and he was a successful coach at Arkansas State. He was the driving force for a 30,000 seat staduim at ASU and he was also their AD before he retired. BTW one of our facilities people went with him to Arkansas and I spoke with his widow recently. Conrad was a great guy. He was way ahead of his time at SDSU.

To many here John Gregory was their coach and he was one of the few that we were able to hang on to. I dont want to go into all the unoffical stories and antedotes I heard about him except to say he had some good years and he had a winning record, which he had when he was fired. He was not on the same page as the AD, from what I been told. It history now.

We  then we hired a loyal alum who could work with the AD, both good and bad but never able to turn the corner. I think Wayne would tell you that he wished he had more financial resources to work with and to make a better program. I dont think we will find a more kinder gentleman than Wayne Haensel, who was a darn good lineman back in the 1950's. His ability as a weights coach in track was excellent.

Mike Daly, a good coach and was surrounded with a staff of good coaches, but never able to improve on 7-4 season.

And now the current coach who I contaced recently and I asked where my small Jackrabbit Club gifts could be best used to have the most impact. He told me the department was in need of video equipment that allows the staff to break down plays. I am in the process of helping out here and feel proud I can help.

So its about financial resources, we have had good coaches, athletes and what have you, but we can not hold on to good coaches and now we dont seem to be able to keep up with necessary equipment.  Finances have been the reason for not having a significant winning record. We seem to be satisfied with average seasons. I would love to see that expectation end, but it takes financial help and dedication to see that happen.

Where is our 8 million dollar gift? You know 25 bucks from everyone would help too and that should be our focus rather than Berry vs. Kardoes. The coaches will work that issue out with the team.

Comment

phd check your pm

Comment

Lots of talk and little action. 8 million bucks isn't happening this week or this year or maybe not ever. AS FOR THIS FB TEAM THIS YEAR and THIS WEEK, I favor Berry over Kardoes. I guess we will see what the coaches think later this week or when the first snap happens Saturday.

Some nice discourse about the history of FB at SDSU, though. Doesn't really matter this week, but nice discourse none the less. Remember, Kardoes started a game against a non-scholarship DIII team and we lost. Of course, you can't blame one player so I don't need that reminder.

One more time, worst loss ever.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yes I may be full of discourse but it bothers me that so many here seem to be a better coach than our current staff. I bet most of you would not trade your current occupation for a coaching job at SDSU. If you did, it would not be for the dollars.

Perssonally I care less who starts. Worst loss? So what.  The football program has not been disbanded and we still have a season to play. I am done. Bring it on.

Comment

DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

Bring on Montana!

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                          Yes I may be full of discourse but it bothers me that so many here seem to be a better coach than our current staff. I bet most of you would not trade your current occupation for a coaching job at SDSU. If you did, it would not be for the dollars.

Perssonally I care less who starts. Worst loss? So what. The football program has not been disbanded and we still have a season to play. I am done. Bring it on.
                          Why should it bother you that people offer opinions on a discussion board dedicated to SDSU sports? We have one football coach. Is he the only one qualified to evaluate his performance?

By the way, I definitely do not subscribe to the "so what" theory on that loss Saturday. It was a major embarrassment and just provides fuel for the naysayers out there who want to run SDSU down.

Comment

Originally posted by jackphd
                            [quote author=Haldersham link=1157256629/30#39 date=1157562431]Yes I may be full of discourse but it bothers me that so many here seem to be a better coach than our current staff. I bet most of you would not trade your current occupation for a coaching job at SDSU. If you did, it would not be for the dollars.

Perssonally I care less who starts. Worst loss? So what.  The football program has not been disbanded and we still have a season to play. I am done. Bring it on.
                            Why should it bother you that people offer opinions on a discussion board dedicated to SDSU sports? We have one football coach. Is he the only one qualified to evaluate his performance?

By the way, I definitely do not subscribe to the "so what" theory on that loss Saturday. It was a major embarrassment and just provides fuel for the naysayers out there who want to run SDSU down.[/quote]

So am I suppose to ring my hands call for the coaches head too? No thank you. So what, we still have 10 games to play. BTW, I can only controll my actions, not some one else whether they are a journalism professor or a football coach. Neither work for me so why worry what they do or dont do? You have a boss and Coach Stig has a boss. BTW I got a thank you note from Coach Stig for my most recent gift for the video equipment. Some people do have class.

Comment

My little birdie tells me that Andy will get the start again this week.  It also looks like Reed Burkhardt will be moved into the #2 spot.  Maybe things looked different on film when the professionals looked at it than when us armchair qb's looked at it from our position in the stands.
                              This is true about reed moving up the chart. talked to a couple guys who said this happened yesturday. maybe we will do the college version of the miami dolphins qb situation for the last few years.

Comment

Kardoes will start 100% and Berry is not expected to play at all....

Comment

Working...
                                X