Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
    What a beautiful day to be a Jackrabbit Fan!

I wonder how long it will take for SDSU and NDSU to recieve an invitation to the Gateway Conference!

SUPERBUNNY
    It may not be until early 2007 (January or February) when the conference presidents have their meeting.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I may have missed this earlier, but it looks as if USD is going to decided by January. The Argus had a more favorable editorial recently. I imagine the Gateway will want to lure the 'SU's away before the Great West gets even more cozy.

Comment

I thought I remembered an article talking about how the Gateway didn't want to wait until the meeting and that the only two teams they were looking at were SDSU and NDSU. It made it sound like they wouldn't wait until the meeting in February.

Sorry, too lazy and not good at finding stuff like that and I could sure be wrong to begin with!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I thought I remembered an article talking about how the Gateway didn't want to wait until the meeting and that the only two teams they were looking at were SDSU and NDSU.  It made it sound like they wouldn't wait until the meeting in February.

Sorry, too lazy and not good at finding stuff like that and I could sure be wrong to begin with!

SUPERBUNNY
          That is what I read also. The meeting is in February, but they did not think they could wait that long. Talk on the street is it is pretty much a done deal though.

Comment

Oh Yeah!!! More good news for the Bunnies. The future is bright, I have to put on my shades. 8-)

Can someone pass the suntan lotion ;D ;D ;D
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I thought I remembered an article talking about how the Gateway didn't want to wait until the meeting and that the only two teams they were looking at were SDSU and NDSU.  It made it sound like they wouldn't wait until the meeting in February.

SUPERBUNNY

Here you go from page two of this thread and the Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...42/1002/SPORTS

Gateway takes look at SDSU
              Football conference might lure Jacks from Great West

By Terry Vandrovec
              tvandrovec@argusleader.com
              PUBLISHED: October 26, 2006

Less than three seasons into its foray into NCAA Division I-AA and an affiliation with the Great West Football Conference, South Dakota State has caught the eye of another league.

Gateway Football Conference commissioner Patty Viverito said Wednesday night that her league has requested institutional information from SDSU and North Dakota State as it studies potential expansion in the near future.  .  .  .  

Viverito said Wednesday that she is "not optimistic" that Western Kentucky will remain in the Gateway Conference.

That would leave the league with seven teams: Illinois State, Indiana State, Missouri State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois and Youngstown State.

The conference can and has operated at that number. But for scheduling purposes, nine teams would be "optimum," according to the commissioner.  .  .  .

NDSU and SDSU are in the third year of a five-year transition process from Division II, which means they're not playoff eligible until 2008. Still, according to Viverito, they are the only schools the Gateway is looking at for possible expansion.  .  .  .

The first step is for SDSU and NDSU to compile and submit a packet similar to what they sent to the Mid-Con - information pertaining to missions, academics, compliance and the football program.

Factors like geography also weigh in, but Viverito said she wouldn't see that as an impediment if the schools demonstrate a commitment consistent with the existing Gateway members.

Viverito said she hasn't received a packet from either school. Beyond that, there isn't a timeline for action, and the next Gateway presidents meeting is scheduled for June.

"But chances are we'll need to move more quickly than that," she said. "We see ourselves as having a mutual window of opportunity here."  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Well here's to our brothers in the transition. (We need a bigger selection of smiley's preferably one toasting an adult beverage for occasions like this) It's a great time for the Bison and the Jacks as it looks very promising for us getting into the Gateway.
                Cheer's

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
                  Well here's to our brothers in the transition.  (We need a bigger selection of smiley's preferably one toasting an adult beverage for occasions like this)    It's a great time for the Bison and the Jacks as it looks very promising for us getting into the Gateway.  
                  Cheer's
                  [smiley=beer.gif]

Go State!

Comment

From Steve Hallstrom's Bison Media Blog

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/?blog=4246

. . . By the way, the vibe I'm hearing from some pretty well connected people is that the Gateway thing is very likely. I'd be surprised if it doesn't happen, and probably talks are already being had within the league, despite Patty V's timeframe of January for discussion, February for vote. (read more)

Go State!

Comment

yes!

another great day to be from SDSU!

(we seem to be having alot of those lately!)

Comment

Another great day indeed. Given recent history, Jackrabbit fans have been overdue for some good news.

Comment

And now USD thinks they can waltz right into the Gateway conference if they move up ;D ;D ;D haha silly lil coyotes.

Comment

From the Ft. Wayne paper:

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/newssen...s/15914046.htm

Western Kentucky to make move to I-A football

Associated Press

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - Western Kentucky University's board of regents approved a move from NCAA Division I-AA to I-A football Thursday.

The board voted 7-2 in favor of the switch, with one regent abstaining.

The switch to I-A would take the Hilltoppers out of the Gateway Football Conference, leaving the conference with seven members and possibly opening the door for membership by North Dakota State University and South Dakota State University.

The conference has requested information from NDSU and SDSU in preparation for possible expansion, the league's commissioner has said.

NDSU and SDSU are in the transition process from NCAA Division II to Division I-AA and are members of the Great West Football Conference. They have been accepted into the Mid-Continent Conference in other sports; the Mid-Continent does not sponsor football. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

From the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...06/1002/SPORTS

Western Kentucky will leave Gateway
                              Talks with SDSU could begin at season's end

By Terry Vandrovec
                              tvandrovec@argusleader.com
                              PUBLISHED: November 3, 2006

News on Thursday that Western Kentucky will move its football program to the NCAA Division I-A level next fall and thus leave the Gateway Football Conference did little to immediately advance the possibility of South Dakota State and North Dakota State joining the I-AA league.

The yes vote by WKU's board of regents - final tally of 7-2 - was a formality. Gateway commissioner Patty Viverito said she'd long expected the Hilltoppers to jump; that was the reason her league sought institutional information from SDSU and NDSU regarding potential expansion.

"Western Kentucky gave us the heads up in August," Viverito said. "The action today is no surprise. Back when we got the news, we entered into some discussions and started conversations. The interest, I think, is mutual between those schools and the Gateway." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

From the St. George paper (Southern Utah):

http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs...ORTS/611030327

Great West Football in for some changes
                                By BEAU EASTES
                                beastes@thespectrum.com

CEDAR CITY - Changes are a coming for fans of the Great West Football Conference.

As expected, Western Kentucky's board of regents approved the school's move from I-AA football to I-A on Thursday with a 7-2 vote. The decision means the Hilltoppers will leave the I-AA Gateway Football Conference for the I-A Sun Belt Conference, a league the rest of Western Kentucky's athletic programs already participate in.

Like any move in college athletics, the move has ramifications beyond just the Gateway. The loss of the Hilltoppers leaves the conference with seven members, one school more than the minimum six teams required for an automatic bid into the NCAA's I-AA football playoffs. With that in mind, Gateway officials are expected to invite Great West Football Conference members North Dakota State and South Dakota State to join the Midwest-based league. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                                X