Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Originally posted by Jacks99
    [quote author=Go_Herd link=1161728686/75#78 date=1165851726] If the plan is 4 home conference games and 4 away conference games whats the point of 9 teams instead of 8.
    It takes 9 teams to get 8 games.[/quote]

Thanks for getting it, I was starting to wonder if anyone read the post.
    "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
      So far, the concerns I've heard are:
      Competitive issues--Missouri State, Indiana State
      Travel distance -- Youngstown State

I guess we'll just have to see if the concerns turn into opposition, or will be overcome by having a balanced 4 home and 4 away conference schedule.
      Interesting that Youngstown St. is complaining travel after signing a home/home with us for '07/'08 or '09.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
        [quote author=Ozark_Jack link=1161728686/75#83 date=1165862013]SDSU will absolutely not join the Gateway without NDSU- You can bank on it !!! I live just a few houses over from Missouri St.'s A.D. I may have to do some lobbying!!!! ;D  ;D

I cant believe these two schools (Mo. St. and Ind. St.) would try and deny admisssion because they are scared of the competition!!! I guess were used to playing the best after being in the Great West the last 3 years.
        I agree with Ozark_Jack on this one.  SDSU and NDSU have been partners in this transition since Day 1.  One won't go without the other...we are a package deal.  The administrations of both schools have been very adament on this point.  

I believe there is a Gateway conference meeting in Feb. that we all should be looking very forward to.  [/quote]

Actually, the only quotes I've heard from either school's AD's is that they are not locked together in going forward. Now that may just be good public relations and assurances may have been given, but I don't recall either AD stating that the schools were an all-or-nothing deal. My guess is that if the Gateway offered to only one school, that school would move because it is so much in their interest to get in an automatic qualifier conference. While NDSU has been a great partner, it would be a huge mistake for SDSU to say no to the Gateway because NDSU wasn't invited.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

If NDSU was invited to the Big Sky without us..........They would jump on that in a heartbeat, no question in my mind. That being said...I truly hope we go to the Gateway together.

Go Jacks !!!!!!!!
          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

Also remember that any potential conference membership by NDSU would only be temporary anyway, in around 10 years they will be moving up to DI-A, if not sooner. ;D

Comment

Maybe, but I don't believe that thier statium has the minimum number of seats required for Division 1A.  They have to have a minimum number of seats and then there is also a minimum average attendance.

Comment

There is no requirement for stadium size.

The NCAA rule for BS (formerly I-A) attendance is:

"20.9.6.3  Football-Attendance Requirements.  The institution annually shall average at least 15,000 in actual attendance for all home football games.

"20.9.6.3.1 Counting Attendance.  For purposes of computing attendance figures an individual may be counted if any one of the following conditions applies:

"(a) Attendees are issued tickets that are collected upon admission to the game and retained;

"(b) Attendees enter through and are counted by a turnstile accuracy of the count on a per-game basis; or

"(c) Attendees enter through a gate at which a representative of the department of athletics counts them individually with a manual counter, and the representative provides a written statement verifying the accuracy of the count on a per-game basis.

"20.9.6.3.2  Certified Audit.  In meeting the football-attendance requirements of Division I-A, an institution must undertake an annual certified audit verifying its football attendance.  The audit must be conducted by an outside auditing firm.  The audited football paid-attendance figures must be received in the NCAA national office not later than the February 15 following the completion of the football season and NCAA national office staff shall verify compliance with all I-A attendance requirements.  The certified audit and materials (including the ticket manifest) must be available for inspection for a four-year period.

The SDSU Football Media Guide list Coughlin-Alumni Stadiums Cap. as 15,000 with the record crowd being 16,193.

So if SDSU "sold out" all of their games they could technically go BS right now.  I don't know if we will ever go BS but I do know that when we replace CAS it will be built so that it is expandable.  What I think we have to worry about right now is getting attendance over the 10,000 mark avg. for a season then we can worry about 15,000 and beyond.

Go State!  

P.S. for those wondering:

I-A is now D-I Football Bowl Sub-Division or BS for short
                I-AA is now D-I Football Championship Sub-Division or CS for short

Comment

Originally posted by cal_jack
                  Maybe, but I don't believe that thier statium has the minimum number of seats required for Division 1A.  They have to have a minimum number of seats and then there is also a minimum average attendance.
                  And considering there were 19,000+ people at the NDSU-SDSU game this year up in Fargo I think there is more than enough seats. Not that seats has anything to do with this rule.

Comment

Had the right idea, the required number was just lower than I thought.

Comment

• Re: SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Opps I now see that we were talking about NDSU. :-[ Oh well, my info was still good. ;D

Go State!

Comment

I think the Gateway has to be looking at the future. They are down to 7 so now teams have to find 5 OOC games and, they have 2 more schools that could go up to the FBS. If they don't get the XDSU's now, in 5 years when they are looking for teams to replace the teams that have moved up, we could be part of a very strong GWFC and have no reason to move.
                        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
                          Also remember that any potential conference membership by NDSU would only be temporary anyway, in around 10 years they will be moving up to DI-A, if not sooner. ;D
                          I don't mean to sound naive, but is this something that's being actively discussed? I could see the potential for this to happen but 10 years seems aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitinTea
                            [quote author=SD-STATE link=1161728686/90#94 date=1166017723]Also remember that any potential conference membership by NDSU would only be temporary anyway, in around 10 years they will be moving up to DI-A, if not sooner. ;D
                            I don't mean to sound naive, but is this something that's being actively discussed?  I could see the potential for this to happen but 10 years seems aggressive.[/quote]

Some folks over at Bisonville like to talk about the Great West/Gateway being a temporary stop on their road to the Big 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                              [quote author=RabbitinTea link=1161728686/90#101 date=1166066726][quote author=SD-STATE link=1161728686/90#94 date=1166017723]Also remember that any potential conference membership by NDSU would only be temporary anyway, in around 10 years they will be moving up to DI-A, if not sooner. ;D
                              I don't mean to sound naive, but is this something that's being actively discussed?  I could see the potential for this to happen but 10 years seems aggressive.[/quote]

Some folks over at Bisonville like to talk about the Great West/Gateway being a temporary stop on their road to the Big 10.
                              [/quote]

Not those of us who are sane. Most think a Mid Con/Gateway is just fine. Maybe MVC down the road, but who knows how good the Mid Con can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm
                                [quote author=RabbitinTea link=1161728686/90#101 date=1166066726][quote author=SD-STATE link=1161728686/90#94 date=1166017723]Also remember that any potential conference membership by NDSU would only be temporary anyway, in around 10 years they will be moving up to DI-A, if not sooner. ;D

[/quote]

It is also a known fact that "Glue sniffing" runs rampant in North Dakota. The general symptom is delusions of granduere!

Big 10??????? Is Tim Miles going to saddle the entire university on his back?

I can sure see NDSU making that jump down the road! But big 10?

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X