SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SDSU/NDSU to Gateway???

Saw this new story on Gateway expansion over on the Bison board. It seems some in the league are a little afraid of NDSU and SDSU.

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2...3726421891.txt

2008 Gateway population in question

By Randy Reinhardt
    rreinhardt@pantagraph.com

NORMAL -- The Gateway Conference will feature seven football teams in 2007 courtesy of Western Kentucky’s November move from the NCAA’s Championship Subdivision to the Bowl Subdivision.

Gateway membership is discussing whether the league population will be seven, eight or nine teams in 2008.

The conference has requested information from North Dakota State and South Dakota State.

“We’ll be at seven next year,” Gateway associate commissioner Mike Kern said. “I don’t see a scenario where we would have another member for next season. We’re sad to see Western Kentucky go. We wish them well.”

Remaining at seven teams is possible. But scheduling nonconference games, which several Gateway members already find difficult, would become more so.

“If we were at seven we would have to find a way to have a scheduling partnership with another league,” said Kern. “The key for us is to have strong I-AA (Championship Subdivision) schedules. Everybody would have to find one more quality I-AA game.”

ISU director of athletics Sheahon Zenger said the Gateway has options.

“I think we can make seven work, I think we can make eight work and I think we can make nine work,” Zenger said. “Nine makes it easier on scheduling with four home and away in conference and three nonconference games.”

Concerns over adding North Dakota State and/or South Dakota State include travel costs and further raising the high level of competition in the Gateway.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

Imagine that my Bears are the team that doesn't want it.

Comment

So far, the concerns I've heard are:
        Competitive issues--Missouri State, Indiana State
        Travel distance -- Youngstown State

I guess we'll just have to see if the concerns turn into opposition, or will be overcome by having a balanced 4 home and 4 away conference schedule.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What do you guys think, is it a real possibility for just SDSU to get in. If the plan is 4 home conference games and 4 away conference games whats the point of 9 teams instead of 8.

How expensive could it really be for Youngstown State to come over here and play football?
          "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

Personally I think the Dakotas will get in bc of scheduling issues, just that before anything happens you know all the concerns will be addressed before it goes down.

Comment

I don't think it would be that expensive. All they would have to do is only schedule one of the Dakota schools at home and one away every year. If a school can't afford to fly out here once a year, than they have more serious problems.

Comment

Originally posted by BearsCountry
                Personally I think the Dakotas will get in bc of scheduling issues, just that before anything happens you know all the concerns will be addressed before it goes down.
                Who has Missouri State and Indiana State scheduled out of conference for the last few years? I think it is odd that earlier in the article it says they(Gateway) want quality OOC teams to play but they are concerned about adding two good teams to the conference. I think if they vote to go to 12 games then NDSU and SDSU has a much better chance.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell2006
                  I don't think it would be that expensive. All they would have to do is only schedule one of the Dakota schools at home and one away every year. If a school can't afford to fly out here once a year, than they have more serious problems.
                  yeah agreed, look at how far both of our teams have had to travel for games.
                  "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

SDSU will absolutely not join the Gateway without NDSU- You can bank on it !!! I live just a few houses over from Missouri St.'s A.D. I may have to do some lobbying!!!! ;D ;D

I cant believe these two schools (Mo. St. and Ind. St.) would try and deny admisssion because they are scared of the competition!!! I guess were used to playing the best after being in the Great West the last 3 years.

Comment

Having no inside information whatsoever, I'd put odds at something like 70-30 in favor of NDSU and SDSU getting into the Gateway. But it's never a sure thing until the ink is dry in the contracts.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by tcbison
                        [quote author=BearsCountry link=1161728686/75#79 date=1165852598]Personally I think the Dakotas will get in bc of scheduling issues, just that before anything happens you know all the concerns will be addressed before it goes down.
                        Who has Missouri State and Indiana State scheduled out of conference for the last few years? I think it is odd that earlier in the article it says they(Gateway) want quality OOC teams to play but they are concerned about adding two good teams to the conference. I think if they vote to go to 12 games then NDSU and SDSU has a much better chance.
                        [/quote]

Mo State this year:

Oklahoma State Univ.
                        Univ of Cent Arkansas
                        Southwest Baptist (DII)
                        Sam Houston State

Their only 2 wins of the season came against SW Baptist (DII) and Western Illinois

http://www.missouristatebears.com/13950.htm

Indiana State this year:

Purdue
                        Eastern Illinois
                        Murray State
                        Northern Illinois

Indiana State lost all four games en route to a 1-10 season beating only Missouri State in their homecoming game.

http://www.indstate.edu/athletic/foo...BSchedule.html

Comment

Originally posted by BearsCountry
                          Personally, this is what I like to think because it makes me feel better. In reality, I only know what I have read, the Gatway requested info, we provided it, and now these concerns.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                            So far, the concerns I've heard are:
                            Competitive issues--Missouri State, Indiana State
                            Travel distance -- Youngstown State

I guess we'll just have to see if the concerns turn into opposition, or will be overcome by having a balanced 4 home and 4 away conference schedule.
                            If I were those schools, I'd have those concerns, too. I think the benefits of having the 'SUs in the Gateway will outweigh the concerns. But then, I'm pretty biased . . .
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Ozark_Jack
                              SDSU will absolutely not join the Gateway without NDSU- You can bank on it !!! I live just a few houses over from Missouri St.'s A.D. I may have to do some lobbying!!!! ;D  ;D

I cant believe these two schools (Mo. St. and Ind. St.) would try and deny admisssion because they are scared of the competition!!! I guess were used to playing the best after being in the Great West the last 3 years.
                              I agree with Ozark_Jack on this one. SDSU and NDSU have been partners in this transition since Day 1. One won't go without the other...we are a package deal. The administrations of both schools have been very adament on this point.

I believe there is a Gateway conference meeting in Feb. that we all should be looking very forward to.

Comment

Originally posted by Go_Herd
                                 If the plan is 4 home conference games and 4 away conference games whats the point of 9 teams instead of 8.
                                It takes 9 teams to get 8 games.

Comment

Working...
                                X