Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
    89rabbit is correct, you can split up the 63 scholarships among 85 players however you wish. I think most full-scholarship programs give out about 40-45 full rides and 40-45 half rides with 5-10 walk-ons. Exact breakdowns depend on the program and most change from year to year. The one misconception that many people seem to have(myself included for a while), is that FBS programs are required to give out full scholarships or none at all. That is true if the program is at the maximum of 85, but not if it gives out less. An FBS school could give out 75 full rides and 10 halfs for a total of 80 scholarships to 85 players.
    That's correct, 85 total scholorships....like BB it is a head count sport...give an athlete $1 counts just like a full...in the head count sports, you rarely see anything but a full
    Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
    Muhammad Ali

Comment

Any updates on additions to 08 Jacks recruiting class?

Comment

Saw this is Terry V. blog

SDSU football recruit Andy Mink won the Nebraska Class C wrestling tournament at 215 pounds, his second consecutive state title.

Comment

Originally posted by sf_jackster View Post
          Saw this is Terry V. blog

SDSU football recruit Andy Mink won the Nebraska Class C wrestling tournament at 215 pounds, his second consecutive state title.
          Nice to see Andy wearing blue already!!! He will fit in well at SDSU. Just wish we could double him in wrestling as well!

Comment

Is there a published report on athletic scholarships and the amounts given to the individual student athletes? I would imagine not but thought I would ask in case anyone knew.

Comment

I am sure that is not available. I can just see the athletes looking it up to find out how much each player got!

I do know that a full scholarship for an athlete is budgeted at around $12,000 for the year by the department (or was the last time I heard a figure).

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                I am sure that is not available. I can just see the athletes looking it up to find out how much each player got!

I do know that a full scholarship for an athlete is budgeted at around $12,000 for the year by the department (or was the last time I heard a figure).
                I think this is where the admin would run into a host of privacy laws that have come into being the last few years. As a person who has a perpetual scholarship in my name, I do get a report from the SDSU Foundation that details how much the individual athlete received for the past year. Otherwise I can not say I am privity to any other information. I know this one figure simply because I made monetary contributions to the fund in my name.

Another reason not to publish individual data might be that people could use it the wrong way especially among coaches from different schools in a head to head recruiting battles.

I believe Jack#1Fan is correct on the full ride amount of $12,000 per year. If you go to the Offical SDSU webpage, there has been financial aid information which discloses what each enrolled student would expect to pay at SDSU. It has gone up a every year so 12k is probably about where SDSU is at for a full ride scholarships for in-state athletes. Seems like in the past one thing that keep SDSU from hitting Wisconsin for recruiting was the out of state tuition cost, and there was no agreement between SD-Wi like have with Minnesota and other states.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  I think this is where the admin would run into a host of privacy laws that have come into being the last few years. As a person who has a perpetual scholarship in my name, I do get a report from the SDSU Foundation that details how much the individual athlete received for the past year. Otherwise I can not say I am privity to any other information. I know this one figure simply because I made monetary contributions to the fund in my name.

Another reason not to publish individual data might be that people could use it the wrong way especially among coaches from different schools in a head to head recruiting battles.

I believe Jack#1Fan is correct on the full ride amount of $12,000 per year. If you go to the Offical SDSU webpage, there has been financial aid information which discloses what each enrolled student would expect to pay at SDSU. It has gone up a every year so 12k is probably about where SDSU is at for a full ride scholarships for in-state athletes. Seems like in the past one thing that keep SDSU from hitting Wisconsin for recruiting was the out of state tuition cost, and there was no agreement between SD-Wi like have with Minnesota and other states.
                  There is no more out of state tuition any more.... actually it cost more to go to SDSU if you are from minnesota now because when the board of regents changed it they kept the same deal with Minnesota so South Dakota would keep there kids instate and Minnesota would keep theres in state.....

Comment

In today's sports brief section of the Argus...it has been reported we've filled one of the scholarships we left open. Not a DB they said they were looking for but I'm guessing they are still searching for one of those:

Defensive end headed to SDSU
                    FOOTBALL: Junior college defensive end Mao Lefiti said Monday that he will sign to play football at South Dakota State. The 6-foot-5, 220 pound Hawaii native has spent the past two seasons at Palomar Community College in San Marcos, Calif. He earned all­conference honors as a junior, amassing 22 tackles. Lefiti said that he had a scholarship offer from Nevada that fell through prior to national signing day and was receiving inter­est from Youngstown State.
                    That puts the list at twenty that have been reported in the Argus and other credible sites:

So here is the signee list as we know it.

Tyrel Kool - RB - Yankton, SD
                    Thomas O'Brien - QB - Winona, MN
                    John Fick - OL - Hull/Rock Valley, IA
                    Josiah Fitsimmons - DE - Ames, IA
                    Seth Daughters - TE - Winner, SD
                    Tyler Luethje - OL - Gladbrook-Reinbeck, IA
                    Keegan Nesvacil - TE - Middleton, WI
                    Aaron Rolin - WR - Lee's Summit, MO
                    Julian Wagner - CB - Fort Worth, TX
                    Alex Olinger - OL - Ames, IA
                    Bo Helm - RB/DB - Childress, TX
                    Mike Lien - LB - Valencia, CA
                    Kyle Harris - K - St. Louis, MO
                    Chris Tracy - RB/LB - Inwood, IA
                    Ross Shafrath - LB - Hampton, IA
                    Andy Mink - DE - Ashland, NE

Signed after national signing day:
                    Mao Lefiti - DE - Palomar Community College, San Marcos, CA

Blue Shirts / Walk-Ons
                    Will Castle - OL - Brandon, SD
                    Dan Schmidt - WR - Brookings, SD
                    Joe Kennedy - DL - Wall, SD

Comment

He must move extremely well because that seems pretty light for a J.C.transfer at D-end. It must also mean we're a little thin right now in D-ends (depth-wise) I have not seen that many J.C.'s even recruited by SDSU.

Comment

Hopefully this guy turns out like Bonwell did. I believe he was also a JC defensive end recruit out of California wasn't he?

Comment

Talked with a couple of the guys that have met Mao....they said he looks bigger than 220, they guessed over 240, closer to 250. Another great find by Coach Sarvis. Looking forward to hearing more about him and seeing him on the field.

Just guessing, but I assume he will not be able to participate in Sping drills if he has not been attending classes here? Anyone know about that?

Go Jacks !!!!!
                          http://members.cox.net/geauxcolonels...t/SDSU_bar.png

Comment

So will Mao bring to SDSU the Great Leap Forward? Is the Long March to the National Championship now assured? Will there then be a Cultural Revolution where a Hundred Flowers bloom?

OK, I'm out of Mao jokes now.

Sorry about that.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Some more info about our latest recruit from Terry's blog post.

More about the newest SDSU football recruit, pass rushing defensive end Mao Lefiti. Like his older brother, Soli, a two-year starter at Utah, Lefiti won all-conference honors at Palomar (Calif.) Community College after a standout prep career at Castle High in Hawaii. Yes, that Hawaii. Lefiti said that he was intrigued by the vast differences between his homeland and his future college. He met with Jacks volleyball coach Andrew Palileo - who is also from Hawaii - during last week's campus visit.

(read more) - there are some other interesting things posted here - check them out!

Comment

According the newest Jack is Lance White of Freedom High School in Oakley California. He is #9 in this picture and a CB. http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Pla...-07/California

Comment

Working...
                                X