Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    Or the new U of M coach (Brewster) realized he just got beat by NDSU last year and then we beat NDSU and both teams have all kinds of MN kids on their roster. Maybe he's recruiting MN a lot harder than that program has in the past. Just a thought, but there might be something to that if one did some research.
    I have wondered the same thing regarding the lack of Minnesota verbals. I think we will see NDSU will do very well in the state as they always have and the win over the gophers certainly helped. There seems to be a lot of DII level talent in Minnesota/Wisconsin and the rosters of the area DII teams will reflect that. I think many of these DII recruits are borderline FBS players. Augustana is really recruiting the Minneapolis area well and I think they are the biggest beneficiary of the Dakota Teams moving up and they have a lot of positive synergy with the new stadium etc. I'm not sure the expanded number of in-state Minnesota recruits that Brewster has attracted would have come to SDSU. Most were being recruited by other DIA teams and chose to stay home.

Comment

Actually,Minnesota only has 5 in-state commitments scheduled to sign tomorrow.

Comment

I'm pretty sure jake steffen is moving down to the d-line. The D-line is def. something that needs to be addressd with pontrelli graduating and schroeder graduating next year. We need some big guys that can plug the middle and I don't see much from the younger kids.

Comment

By the way,one of the Gophers in-state signees is linebacker Sam Maresh, whose brother was one of the top defensive players for the Bison last season.

Comment

Originally posted by GWFC Champs 2007 View Post
            I'm pretty sure jake steffen is moving down to the d-line. The D-line is def. something that needs to be addressd with pontrelli graduating and schroeder graduating next year. We need some big guys that can plug the middle and I don't see much from the younger kids.
            By younger kids do you mean the guys who were playing last year behind those guys? How about the Redshirts, is there anybody there, that as far as you know has shown some promise?

Comment

I would say out of everyone. not to say that there isn't any talent or anything like that, but I haven't seen anything comparable to a pontrelli or schroder yet...hopefully they prove me wrong! Losing players like that, you can expect a drop off but I see a significant one. With the size of the offensive lines teams like NDSU, UNI and such have, interior defensive lineman are crucial!

Comment

We haven't lost Schroeder yet, he has one more year and Coach Sarvis is pretty high on what is in the cupboard.
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Looks like there is another WR commitment from the Tampa Bay area. Excerpt from the Tampa Tribune:

Middleton senior receiver Jeremy Blount has committed to South Dakota State, Middleton coach Harry Hubbard said on Monday.

Article lists some of his stats - appears to be a returner as well. I like how this class is shaping up, although I would like to see one DL sign tomorrow.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...-dakota-state/
                  Last edited by JackFlash; 02-05-2008, 08:23 PM. Reason: Forgot the link originally.

Comment

Here is a link to Jeremy Blount's game-by-game statistics from last season.

Looks like he was listed at 5'10" and 165 lbs.

I noticed he wore #1 in high school, same as our last Tampa/St. Pete area receiver, Solomon Johnson

I hope he is just as good.

http://www.maxpreps.com/FanPages/Pla..._07-08/Florida

It looks like his decision came down to either the Jacks or Grambling... Nice choice!

http://www.thenewsstar.com/news/blog...my-blount.html
                    Last edited by Jacked_Rabbit; 02-05-2008, 08:34 PM. Reason: Wanted to add this...

Comment

Great find JackFlash...that puts our list to 17 that have been reported:

Originally posted by JackFlash View Post
                      Looks like there is another WR commitment from the Tampa Bay area. Excerpt from the Tampa Tribune:

Middleton senior receiver Jeremy Blount has committed to South Dakota State, Middleton coach Harry Hubbard said on Monday.

Article lists some of his stats - appears to be a returner as well. I like how this class is shaping up, although I would like to see one DL sign tomorrow.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sp...h-dakota-state
                      That puts the list at seventeen that have been reported in the Argus and other credible sites:

So here is the verbal list as we know it.

Tyrel Kool - RB - Yankton, SD
                      Thomas O'Brien - QB - Winona, MN
                      John Fick - OL - Hull/Rock Valley, IA
                      Josiah Fitsimmons - DE - Ames, IA
                      Seth Daughters - TE - Winner, SD
                      Tyler Luethje - OL - Gladbrook-Reinbeck, IA
                      Keegan Nesvacil - TE - Middleton, WI
                      Aaron Rolin - WR - Lee's Summit, MO
                      Matt Holt - SS - Lee's Summit, MO
                      Julian Wagner - CB - Fort Worth, TX
                      Alex Olinger - OL - Ames, IA
                      Bo Helm - RB/DB - Childress, TX
                      Mike Lien - LB - Valencia, CA
                      Kyle Harris - K - St. Louis, MO
                      *Chris Tracy - ? - Inwood, IA
                      *Ross Shafrath - LB - Hampton, IA
                      Jeremy Blount - WR/KR - Tampa Bay, FL

* Has not been substantiated by a media source.

I'll try to keep this list up to date as we receive more verbals. More information on each recruit can be found by reading this entire thread.

Comment

I know we haven't lost schroder yet but looking into the future, when these recruits will make a major impact. I like the looks at defensive end, just a little suspect in the middle. Bazatta and Sheehan have the potential, I guess we will see how it all works out. I actually figured on a few juco players....dt,cb,og to help out right away. Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by GWFC Champs 2007 View Post
                          I know we haven't lost schroder yet but looking into the future, when these recruits will make a major impact. I like the looks at defensive end, just a little suspect in the middle. Bazatta and Sheehan have the potential, I guess we will see how it all works out. I actually figured on a few juco players....dt,cb,og to help out right away. Just my opinion
                          It has been stated many of times on this board that we are deepest on the D-Line now and when the season started. We've recruited hard there the last couple of years and I believe the coaches are plenty comfortable with who will replace the spots left open by Pontrelli and Bonwell. We will be just fine on the D-Line next year.

Comment

I like to hear the news of an exciting punt and kick returner...comparisons to Devin Hester??? lets all hope that's the case!

Comment

I'd like to hear your opinions on who will be filling pontrelli's spot next year and big schroder's next year... and we all know that the d-line rotates a lot so we need a solid two deep to get to where we want to be

Comment

I meant schroder's spot the year after...sorry bout that

Comment

Working...
                                X