Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2008 Recruits

Originally posted by FASTjack View Post
    Just wondering how to veiw this video of the recruits. Do you have to have a Jackrabbit Extra video subsctiption, as the registration asks for, or what other ways can you view it. I see that on youtube there is a video of last years recruits. What is the chance that this video is or will be on youtube? Thanks
    I'm guessing that after a few days with this video as "exclusive" we'll be able to post it on YouTube. Let me check that out.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I agree we have a great incoming class and the discussion should be about them. I do recognize that a big change in our immediate area happened when Steve Pedersen AD and coach Callahan were both asked to leave UNL. These two with their actions made recruting in Nebraska possible. They dropped the the Devaney-Osborne-Solich walk on program.

SDSU had more players on the roster last season than we have probably ever had. The article was about a Mo recruit who change is mind about SDSU, but his change IN plans does tell us something. We will have a very difficult time again, competing against UNL walk on program. This problem has existed since John Gregory was the head coach. We got a few but probably did not much chance against the good ones.

Living in Nebraska 20 years, and I dont claim to be an expert, but their legacy is what we at SDSU would like to have. I would be willing to bet if you walked into any 4th or 5th grade classroom anywhere in Nebraska and asked the kids: Who would like to play football for Nebraska Cornhuskers? Hands even those of the female gender would go up and stay up. This what we have to deal with. Its about wearing the wrong color red.

I think in the future we will need to start looking in other areas besides Nebraska. Arizona and California, and even metro Kansas City seems to have an abundance of good athletes such as Matt Holt, its matter of finding them, and its no doubt what our staff has worked very hard on. Hopefully there will be a time when all South Dakota players will want to walk and SDSU will be in a position to allow them to do it.

Comment

Just to clear something up, FBS programs are limited to 105 participants prior to the first day of class and FCS programs are limited to 90. Players who voluntarily withdraw from the team may be replaced however. I'm not sure if there's a limit on participants after the first day of class, but I don't imagine you could make the team if you missed all of the preseason practices.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          Just to clear something up, FBS programs are limited to 105 participants prior to the first day of class and FCS programs are limited to 90. Players who voluntarily withdraw from the team may be replaced however. I'm not sure if there's a limit on participants after the first day of class, but I don't imagine you could make the team if you missed all of the preseason practices.
          My understanding is that walkons (at least incoming freshmen walkons) are not allowed to participate until the first day of class. So they miss most, if not all, of fall camp.
          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
            My understanding is that walkons (at least incoming freshmen walkons) are not allowed to participate until the first day of class. So they miss most, if not all, of fall camp.
            Is that for both FBS and FCS or just FCS?

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
              So that basically means 20 roster spots for "preferred" walk-ons and returning non-scholarship players in FBS and 27 in FCS, right? Not questioning your knowledge on the subject, but what's the source on these numbers Hammersmith? How many non-scholarship returnees does SDSU bring back in a given year. Really limits the number of "preferred" walk-ons SDSU can have I would think.
              Last edited by CatchEmAll; 02-12-2008, 02:30 PM. Reason: I can't type
              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                So that basically means 20 roster spots for "preferred" walk-ons and returning non-scholarship players in FBS and 27 in FCS, right? Not questioning your knowledge on the subject, but what's the source on these numbers Hammersmith? How many non-scholarship returnees does SDSU bring back in a given year. Really limits the number of "preferred" walk-ons SDSU can have I would think.
                Sorry, forgot to give the bylaw number. You can find it in the NCAA manual under 17.11.2.1.2(FBS) and 17.11.2.1.3(FCS). Maybe some will find the following to clear other things up.

FBS
                - Must give out between 77* and 85 scholarships
                - Scholarships can be given out to a maximum of 85 students(scholies may be split if less than 85 are awarded)
                - A maximum of 25 students may be awarded athletic aid for the first time in any given year
                - A maximum of 105 students may practice with the team before the first day of class(fall camp)

FCS
                - May give out between 0 and 63 scholarships
                - Scholarships can be given out to a maximum of 85 students(scholies may be split as desired)
                - A maximum of 30 students may be awarded athletic aid for the first time in any given year
                - A maximum of 90 students may practice with the team before the first day of class(fall camp)

Exactly how many preferred walk-ons a team may have depends on how many scholarships the school gives out and how they break them up. An FBS program could have as few as 20 or as many as 30. An FCS team could have anywhere from 5 to 90(non scholarship). Oh, and preferred walk-on refers to students who don't receive a scholarship but are invited to fall camp. I guess regular walk-ons don't get to practice with the team before the first day of classes.

*not exactly 77; an FBS program must average 90% of the maximum(76.5) over the previous two years

Comment

Sorry Hammersmith, you've lost me with your last post. Shouldn't the part on FCS say a maximum of 63 (not 85)...or are you saying we can have 85 people receiving scholarship aid of some sort? My understanding was that we could split scholarships, if under 63, but only 63 players could have scholarship aid (i.e., a partial scholarship counts against the limit just as much as a full scholarship. Clarify if I'm wrong, of if a mistake was made in the post on FCS scholarship limits. Thanks!

Comment

You can split up the 63 scholarships over 85 students in FCS. At least that has been my understanding of the rule.

Go State!

Comment

89rabbit is correct, you can split up the 63 scholarships among 85 players however you wish. I think most full-scholarship programs give out about 40-45 full rides and 40-45 half rides with 5-10 walk-ons. Exact breakdowns depend on the program and most change from year to year. The one misconception that many people seem to have(myself included for a while), is that FBS programs are required to give out full scholarships or none at all. That is true if the program is at the maximum of 85, but not if it gives out less. An FBS school could give out 75 full rides and 10 halfs for a total of 80 scholarships to 85 players.

Comment

YouTube versions of Stig's comments regarding this 2008 recruiting class:

Part I:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNde4O-BgCg

Part II:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ2UCeWo0qw
                        Last edited by JimmyJack; 02-13-2008, 08:53 PM.
                        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          YouTube versions of Stig's comments regarding this 2008 recruiting class:

Part I:

Part II:

Watch Part II first.

Holy Buckets I am so very excited to watch football now.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                            Watch Part II first.

Holy Buckets I am so very excited to watch football now.
                            Sorry, I put the links in the wrong order:

These are right (and I fixed them above)

Part I:

Part II:

Sorry about that.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Thanks JJ!

Leave them there so in the middle of the summer I can get a slight football fix.

By the way Tyler Merriam has come a long way from doing play by play in the bleachers to himself at his brothers baseball games.

Comment

I watched all the online football highlights from the season tonight. Makes me wish it was September! I still cringe at the hit Brock Gentile put on that NDSU receiver from the game last fall. Blew that kid up!

Comment

Working...
                                X