Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
    Offensive line gets no credit when the offense is successful and scores points. The Oline gets all the blame when the team struggles to score, especially by fan forum participants who dont watch the line play but are experts in their mind. Watch the game please and see how many defensive players are in the box playing the run and over pursuing immediately. UNI and NDSU did this often thus no place to run. Oline can only block so many defenders. Play calls must be better and other skilled players must do their part as well. Zone blocking is used and most fans don't have a clue. Sacks are a concern if the line didn't block well. QB is just as important to read, recognize and a quicker release. Receivers must get open, RBs need to pick up blitzes. Play calls must get the ball out quicker, try a roll out, keep a TE in to help with speed defensive ends. You have five Oline and they generally cannot block six and seven players rushing. Keep working hard Oline and win your battles, the season is still in front of you and goals can still be accomplished
    You seem pretty knowledgeable about offensive line play... Possibly a former player? Regardless, since you seem to know what you're talking about, what is your take on the 4th and 1 play and the missed block?

Comment

I think virtually the same as probably most of you during a game. "What a dumb play that was!" "How stupid are these coaches anyway?" "Get someone in there who knows what they're doing--jeez!" Then I try to get back to reality. What we could do is hire coaches from one of the 119 teams that have not make the playoffs ea. of the last 3 years. SD State being 1 of only 6 to do that! I can't imagine how stupid these coaches must be! I just bet most of these coaches in the other 119 teams must be kept in an asylum all week long and then only let out on Saturday to coach--that's how stupid/crazy they must be. Of course this is in jest. We have to be arm chair quarterbacks--it's in the DNA!!!!

Comment

Offensive line gets no credit when the offense is successful and scores points. The Oline gets all the blame when the team struggles to score, especially by fan forum participants who dont watch the line play but are experts in their mind. Watch the game please and see how many defensive players are in the box playing the run and over pursuing immediately. UNI and NDSU did this often thus no place to run. Oline can only block so many defenders. Play calls must be better and other skilled players must do their part as well. Zone blocking is used and most fans don't have a clue. Sacks are a concern if the line didn't block well. QB is just as important to read, recognize and a quicker release. Receivers must get open, RBs need to pick up blitzes. Play calls must get the ball out quicker, try a roll out, keep a TE in to help with speed defensive ends. You have five Oline and they generally cannot block six and seven players rushing. Keep working hard Oline and win your battles, the season is still in front of you and goals can still be accomplished
        I think they got a lot of credit the last 3 years when ZZ was dominating.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Rainbows and unicorns everyone! Stig's character is unquestionable - but to say those who question his decision making in big moments have an agenda against Stig need a reality check.

Let me start a list of incredibly poor decisions that were either made by him or allowed to go through. 1. Fake Punt (no need to say anymore). 2. Kick the field goal! 3. Start Kline, when Sumner is capable of playing in a winnable game against Kansas.

We as fans and donors have every right to question those asinine decisions in big moments.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            Rainbows and unicorns everyone! Stig's character is unquestionable - but to say those who question his decision making in big moments have an agenda against Stig need a reality check.

Let me start a list of incredibly poor decisions that were either made by him or allowed to go through. 1. Fake Punt (no need to say anymore). 2. Kick the field goal! 3. Start Kline, when Sumner is capable of playing in a winnable game against Kansas.

We as fans and donors have every right to question those asinine decisions in big moments.
            Which game was the fake punt? I don't recall.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Which game was the fake punt? I don't recall.
              IIRC, that was a pivotal play in the playoff game vs EWU.
              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                IIRC, that was a pivotal play in the playoff game vs EWU.
                Oh yeah. There is probably a reason I forgot about that one.

Comment

The reality is we probably wouldn't get a coach as good as Stig is even with his short comings,but we don't have to like everything he does either.We are fickle,hard to please fans after all.That's what message boards are for isn't it,a way to express disappointment,rant and rave til our hearts delight.Just kidding naturally,plenty good things are said too,and praise is handed out in accordance. Stig will retire as head of Jackrabbit football is my guess.

Comment

I agree with this, but to let an inside guy go free and block the two players to the outside who are the farthest from where the play is going makes no sense. I guarantee on many running plays the backside d-end or OLB is left unblocked because the o-line downblocks the players that are closest to where ball is going. It really is very simple and for some reason it got messed up. Right after a timeout.

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                      I agree with this, but to let an inside guy go free and block the two players to the outside who are the farthest from where the play is going makes no sense. I guarantee on many running plays the backside d-end or OLB is left unblocked because the o-line downblocks the players that are closest to where ball is going. It really is very simple and for some reason it got messed up. Right after a timeout.
                      Lots of times blockers all go to the same guys,when you're short of blockers in the first place, having two blockers on one guy makes no sense at all to me.I should clarify,makes no sense unless a hole is created there and there's no one coming to plug it up for a few seconds,time enough for a quick RB to hit it and grind out some positive yards.It's all coordinated timing,and having the right blocking scheme for what the defense has been showing,demonstating how they are playing the run.To me,change is good,not coaching I'm talking,but blocking schemes have to be re-evaluated when the opposition can dominate and totally take away a huge asset like running the football.If they are loading the box,then we should counter by having extra blockers too.Should end up with two receivers ,one on one,and a dual threat QB who can complete a pass or take off running,ocasionally hand off to RB'S.That should give the defense enough to think about.Anythings better than running into a pile for no gain evry running play.Sometimes, ya.....but it happens too much that way,IMO.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-27-2015, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Stig said it after the game people. He owned it after the NDSU game too. He doesn't have this program in a position to win the most important games. That doesn't mean someone else would. He's the coach. He gets a lot of credit for where the program is and he takes the blame when he should.

When I say I think SDSU can be better on the football field I'm not suggesting a change at head coach. I'm expressing my opinion about disappointing loss after disappointing loss with equal or better talent on the field. There have been a lot of great wins as well.

The argument that "we lost a lot of great players" doesn't hold weight with me. Should have won a National Championship if those players were that great.

Admit it, there's a culture in this program that accepts defeat. It's rationalized in a variety of ways but in the end its tolerated. It's okay to lose if you lose the right way.....I don't like that attitude myself. But hey, that's just me.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Stig said it after the game people. He owned it after the NDSU game too. He doesn't have this program in a position to win the most important games. That doesn't mean someone else would. He's the coach. He gets a lot of credit for where the program is and he takes the blame when he should.

When I say I think SDSU can be better on the football field I'm not suggesting a change at head coach. I'm expressing my opinion about disappointing loss after disappointing loss with equal or better talent on the field. There have been a lot of great wins as well.

The argument that "we lost a lot of great players" doesn't hold weight with me. Should have won a National Championship if those players were that great.

Admit it, there's a culture in this program that accepts defeat. It's rationalized in a variety of ways but in the end its tolerated. It's okay to lose if you lose the right way.....I don't like that attitude myself. But hey, that's just me.
                          I think I'm beginning to understand.

If we win, its not a big game. If we lose, it is a big game. There is no way of knowing whether its a big game or not until the result has been determined.

We aren't USD or MSU, we are literally one of the top programs in the country. Can you or anyone else deny that?

You know what's great? Anytime we lose, you get to trot out garbage about not being able to win big games, we accept defeat, things that are blatantly false. Every single game is a big game, and we are going to lose some of them. That isn't accepting defeat or rationalizing, that is being a realist.
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Basically,you only get 3 downs for a first down,the last saved for kicking it the heck, as far as you can.Downs are gold,any play that fails hurts,dropped pass,incomplete pass,run for no gain,sack,loss of yards, makes no difference.It limits what you can do the other two downs,we have to have the mentality that we have to be a more efficient offensive team,against playoff caliber teams,lesser teams we manage fine it seems.Theoretically ,3.3 yards a down (OK....one has to be 3.4)is all the play has to be good for,except for all three downs if that's all you get.Easy huh.....not.I'm too gabby today....think I'll take a break and quit spouting off the obvious,even to the most casual of observers......carry on everyone.Have an excellent day.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post

Every coach makes bonehead decisions. How often they happen and what happens in between is what defines good vs. bad.

You are right, it is fun to think about how things may have turned out differently.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                                I think I'm beginning to understand.

If we win, its not a big game. If we lose, it is a big game. There is no way of knowing whether its a big game or not until the result has been determined.

We aren't USD or MSU, we are literally one of the top programs in the country. Can you or anyone else deny that?

You know what's great? Anytime we lose, you get to trot out garbage about not being able to win big games, we accept defeat, things that are blatantly false. Every single game is a big game, and we are going to lose some of them. That isn't accepting defeat or rationalizing, that is being a realist.
                                We'll never have an undefeated football team,ever??? Relax,just joking....you speak the truth Kemosabe (sp?)

Comment

Working...
                                X