Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Why don't we get TC on the move? A roll-out pass is much easier to scramble and run out of compared to a traditional pocket pass. If TC is going to succeed, we need to tailor our offense to him.

Also, screen pass anyone? UNI paid very good attention to the NDSU game film, and they executed it perfectly on defense. Stack the box, pin your ears back, get to the QB before Wieneke can get loose, and SDSU's predictable offense won't have a chance to get going. Credit to UNI for putting together a good defensive game plan. Having said that, we should still win that game... Very frustrating.
    I expect to see more TC bootlegs as the season goes on. I would guess that there is concern about executing new plays when we can't seem to get good O-line play on stuff we have practiced for 9 months. Again, just a guess, but when Lujan was #1 I doubt much time was spent practicing bootlegs.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
      Here are my thoughts after having calmed down and collected my senses.
      - Our defense can be great. It's a pleasure to watch those young men fly around on the field with an attitude. They have held teams to 10 points or less in 5 of our 7 games! They need help...
      -There are only a handful of games left in Lally's career and we are witnessing one of the greatest defensive players to represent our university. We should enjoy watching him as he and the seniors close out their careers. Our d-line continues to improve and I am optimistic that this trend will continue, we'll find out more in 2 weeks.
      - Our o-line is inconsistent. They have good games and they have bad games. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this group, but they have to improve and become more consistent in a hurry! If they don't do this, than I will change my initial statement on this group. It is nearly impossible to sustain any success or get in any rhythm as an offense if your o-line is consistently losing the battle up front. How many games have we struggled to rush the ball? In my opinion, the remainder of the season is resting squarely on the shoulders of this group!
      - QB's...Stig and Eidsness need to pick a QB and go with him. I don't care if it is Lujan or Christion. They are both good and I will support both of them, but for the love of all that is holy please do not rotate QB's! The last thing we need is to have 2 quarterbacks looking over their shoulders every time they fumble, throw a pick, take a sack, or even throw an incompletion. Our offense is not dominant/good enough to rotate QB's and expect to get in any rhythm. The coaches get to see these guys every day on the practice field and in meetings. Pick the guy that gives you the best chance to win and stick with him. Leaders get paid to make tough decisions...Stig/Eidsness need to have the fortitude to make a decision and go. Someone will always second guess a decision of this magnitude, but dooming us to the fate of indecision is worse!
      - We are set up for what on paper appears to be a rebound game. This is good, because I fully expect to have to fight for our playoff lives the last 3 games!
      I agree with a lot of this, especially about the need to pick one QB and stick with them. The offense on Saturday just looked a little off timing wise, especially in the 1st half. I think a big part of this is the fact that both QB's are splitting 1st team reps in practice. It is very hard for the players around them to get into any consistency when the QB's are so different from each other. Also, just the way they call plays and signals to snap the ball is different, which makes it harder for the o-line to be sharp off the ball. Our center, Ohnasorge, had 2 false starts. I don't recall seeing him ever have one in his first 1.5 years as the starter.

I really think our offense will be just fine once we pick a starter and stick with them. We will at least then have a true identity as to what kind of offense we are going to run. Right know, it seems nobody on the offense is certain what to expect from the coaches on each series.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
        I expect to see more TC bootlegs as the season goes on. I would guess that there is concern about executing new plays when we can't seem to get good O-line play on stuff we have practiced for 9 months. Again, just a guess, but when Lujan was #1 I doubt much time was spent practicing bootlegs.
        I was going to say the same thing. More an issue of the rest of the offense being able to execute it properly when they havent really had to worry about it much of the year. a lot more to add to the plate of guys who against a good D struggle already. On the other hand they should be smart enough and the coaches good enough to add some new options. heck i wouldnt mind seeing us run the option. that i would actually probably like with TC.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I was going to say the same thing. More an issue of the rest of the offense being able to execute it properly when they havent really had to worry about it much of the year. a lot more to add to the plate of guys who against a good D struggle already. On the other hand they should be smart enough and the coaches good enough to add some new options. heck i wouldnt mind seeing us run the option. that i would actually probably like with TC.
          It has been mentioned that the OL is smaller than it has been in the past and that might help explain why power straight ahead run blocking (especially against the better defenses) has not been consistently effective. Maybe going with some planned roll out/bootleg plays might be better suited to our smaller OL where they might be able to use some quickness advantages as opposed to having all 300 lb plus linemen.
          Last edited by bigticket1; 10-26-2015, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            It has been mentioned that the OL is smaller than it has been in the past and that might help explain why power straight ahead run blocking (especially against the better defenses) has not been consistently effective. Maybe going with some planned roll out/bootleg plays might be better suited to our smaller OL where they might be able used some quickness advantages as opposed to having all 300 lb plus linemen.
            Creativity goes a long ways as well. On UNI's touchdown, they spread us out and it looks like they false pulled the center and right guard to vacate our linebackers. What was left was a wide open middle of the field for their quarterback to sprint untouched between the numbers. We consistently complain about the lack of creativity from our coaching staff. We are not dominant enough to just line up, week in and week out without having new wrinkles and schemes for the other team to worry about and adjust for.

Comment

Originally posted by Bits View Post
              Creativity goes a long ways as well. On UNI's touchdown, they spread us out and it looks like they false pulled the center and right guard to vacate our linebackers. What was left was a wide open middle of the field for their quarterback to sprint untouched between the numbers. We consistently complain about the lack of creativity from our coaching staff. We are not dominant enough to just line up, week in and week out without having new wrinkles and schemes for the other team to worry about and adjust for.
              The other thing that I would like to see if we have 2 legit TEs that are good pass catchers but doesnt seem like we are ablt to get TC to utilize them much either. Often times a TE can be a new QBs best friend. Big target, sometimes has a smaller defender, and usually the last one the D pays attention too. Would love to see the Wizard and Cam and Dallas all line up and say ok, now try to defend this height and ability on the same side of the field. Seems are TEs are being Used because other WRs really arent stepping up yet, but not really to their full advantage.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Just got done watching the jackrabbit insider. Watching that 4th and 1 play, there was actually a pretty good hole there except our backside lineman decided to block the two outside defenders and let an inside guy go untouched. That is something that is so simple, you block the guys closet to where the ball is going to be run. Even more frustrating that we had taken a timeout right before the play, absolutely no excuse for every player to not know exactly where the ball was going to be run and what players need to be blocked

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                  Just got done watching the jackrabbit insider. Watching that 4th and 1 play, there was actually a pretty good hole there except our backside lineman decided to block the two outside defenders and let an inside guy go untouched. That is something that is so simple, you block the guys closet to where the ball is going to be run. Even more frustrating that we had taken a timeout right before the play, absolutely no excuse for every player to not know exactly where the ball was going to be run and what players need to be blocked
                  Wow... I just watched that play too. It's at 12:05 at this link. The Left Guard and Left Tackle really screwed the pooch on this play. How do they not get the right blocking assignment and let a guy run free into the backfield like that? If that guy doesn't run free, they get the first down easily. From my vantage point at the game, it looked like the play was screwed from the start, but you can clearly see that it was going to work, and it got stopped due to a completely blown assignment. Inexcusable. The bad taste was pretty much gone from my mouth, but it's back now. Can't put this one on the coaches. Goes back to the reason why we were in this situation in the first place - sketchy offensive line play. This is clearly our weakness right now, and it will be an issue going forward.

Comment

Wow... I just watched that play too. It's at 12:05 at this link. The Left Guard and Left Tackle really screwed the pooch on this play. How do they not get the right blocking assignment and let a guy run free into the backfield like that? If that guy doesn't run free, they get the first down easily. From my vantage point at the game, it looked like the play was screwed from the start, but you can clearly see that it was going to work, and it got stopped due to a completely blown assignment. Inexcusable. The bad taste was pretty much gone from my mouth, but it's back now. Can't put this one on the coaches. Goes back to the reason why we were in this situation in the first place - sketchy offensive line play. This is clearly our weakness right now, and it will be an issue going forward.
                    Just watched it. DAMN!

Comment

Not sure how many people still need a little perspective but I will try.

No one really knew how this season would pan out. We lost 2 all time greats and were picked in the middle pack of our conference to start the year ranked in the top 25. So we peed one down our leg in NDSU and forgot to show up. We lost a game to UNI that was ripe for the taking and coulda woulda shoulda won. But lets look at it closer.

Our starting QB is a freshman. 3 games under his belt, like others said his has some intangibles others dont but the miscues he might make may offset some of that talent to start with.
                      Our Running back by committee is 2 underclassman and a Jr who has been little used till the last few games really.
                      Our best WR and play maker is a Soph who is a bit hampered right now.
                      Our online has some experience on the Right side but the left and back ups are all underclassman.

Our D line has 1 Sr who starts but a mix of upper and lower classman.
                      Our linebackers are a mix of mostly upperclassman, typically the heart and soul of our D. looks that way for the forseeable future.
                      Our secondary is great on the corners but young in the safeties for the most part.

So a very young oline, all new skill posititions really this year aside from the wizard coming back but still only a soph. I dont think we really have much to complain about. If we went 6-5 i dont know i would have been surprised, but we are a 4th down play away maybe from being 6-1.

I know I want this year to get a top 8 seed and move on in the playoffs, which is still in the picture. There are only so many dominate Defenses and Dlines in football and we have played 3 of them so far. UNI, NDSU and YSU. Not sure what to think about WIU yet.

Our D is playing lights out. Our offense is young, I know people are upset, and we should be, it was a tough loss. But 2 more years of the wizard, 3 more of TC, a crazy group of young Oline, who I assume are only going to get better and prove their worth. Our D will loose some talent, but most of the D line is back, the LBs will reload, and we have experience returning in the secondary.

I am not saying to give up on this year or look tofar down the road. But we have a lot to look forward to this year and the forseeable future.

There are only so many great teams in the FCS and winning week in and week out is not that easy regardless of what we saw NDSU do the last few years. their are only a few teams who in the country who will boat race their confrence too the end, but lets face it. the MVFC will probably be great for getting teams ready for the playoffs. assuming we can make the playoffs again, we might not make a deep run, but I would give us a fighters chance anyday of the week.

Comment

I think TC is the future and gives us the best chance at winning now. I just don't think he is a difference maker at this point, and we probably lose as much through inexperience as we gain through his athletic ability. In short, QB isn't the problem or solution for this team.
                        I agree with this. I'm not on the TC bandwagon and don't understand how some posters can be so sure he should be starting. He's flashy and has a lot of potential but that doesn't make him the best QB. This whole situation kind of reminds me of Brock Jensen with NDSU. If I recall correctly, there were some fans who wanted him benched but he led them to what, 3 national championships? He wasn't flashy but he didn't lose them games either. Fans want excitement. Before anyone pipes up I'm not comparing Lujan to Jensen and I don't think Lujan leads us to a national championship. All that said I think they need to pick one and go with him. I'll support whichever way they go.

I have a problem with people who use statements like "mediocre" to describe Stig, the coaching staff, or the program. These things are clearly not mediocre, unless someone changed the definition of the word.
                        Here is our records since 2009

09: 8-3 Lost to MT in the playoffs
                        10: 5-6 No Playoffs
                        11: 5-6 No Playoffs
                        12: 8-3 2nd Round
                        13: 8-4 2nd Round
                        14: 8-4 2nd Round
                        15: 5-2 ????

I see a plateau. Are we better than 90% of the FCS? Probably. More then 90% of the FCS hasn't invested 100 million dollars in their FB program in the last few years either.

I also have a problem with folks who post things like "that's a fireable offense" or "that is inexcusable." That indicates a change is necessary in the near future.

Lastly, the "there should be some tough questions asked" type of posts. I would prefer if the AD would get the hell out of the coaches way during the season. The last thing (in my opinion) that we want is an administrator micro-managing a very good football program. That goes for no matter who the coach is.
                        I've never called for Stig's head and I agree that there hasn't been a play or "offense" that is grounds for firing. I did however say the AD needs to ask some tough questions. NO WHERE did I say he should be in the locker room after the game or be calling Stig into his office. Those questions come after the season. Questions like: "We've been eliminated in the 2nd round 3 years in a row, what's the plan to advance the program further. We have a fan base who wants more." "Why do we seem to not show up to play NDSU?" If there isn't pressure from the administration they aren't doing their jobs.

People who post "we never win big games" (when we have), that play never works (when it has), or we have a mediocre program (we don't) have an agenda against Coach Stig. They seem to want a coach who is an intimidating macho-man that swears and wins at all costs. I think that is dumb. We are the envy of 90% of FCS.
                        I sure as hell don't have an agenda against Stig. I want a legitimate shot at a National Championship and I just feel like we may never get there with Stig. I don't care that we beat a Kansas team this year that hasn't won a game. I don't care that we have our highest ranking ever (there freaking rankings! USD hasn't failed to receive votes yet.). I care about the end result and right now we are cruising towards barely squeaking into the playoffs and a likely second round loss at a seeded team (NDSU?).

It is the same cast of characters that use this type of language anytime we lose, and they are largely absent when we win. To me, I see an agenda from people who don't like Stig, not a criticism.

I see your point about people caring about the program, and maybe I'm reading too much into some posts. I'm extremely proud of our football program, I get the feeling many posters are ashamed. Being ashamed of SDSU football at this point seems insane to me.
                        I'm here for the victories as well. I'm not ashamed of the program, but I also don't look at it through Yellow and Blue glasses like most. To be the best you have to want to be the best.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          I agree with this. I'm not on the TC bandwagon and don't understand how some posters can be so sure he should be starting. He's flashy and has a lot of potential but that doesn't make him the best QB. This whole situation kind of reminds me of Brock Jensen with NDSU. If I recall correctly, there were some fans who wanted him benched but he led them to what, 3 national championships? He wasn't flashy but he didn't lose them games either. Fans want excitement. Before anyone pipes up I'm not comparing Lujan to Jensen and I don't think Lujan leads us to a national championship. All that said I think they need to pick one and go with him. I'll support whichever way they go.
                          I have to admit I'm a little frustrated with the QB situation. I agree, pick and go. But I also feel the coaches need to prepare for an injury for whomever the starter is, and until we get a backup more in TC's mold both QB's are going to be hamstrung a little, IMO.

Here is our records since 2009

09: 8-3 Lost to MT in the playoffs
                          10: 5-6 No Playoffs
                          11: 5-6 No Playoffs
                          12: 8-3 2nd Round
                          13: 8-4 2nd Round
                          14: 8-4 2nd Round
                          15: 5-2 ????

I see a plateau. Are we better than 90% of the FCS? Probably. More then 90% of the FCS hasn't invested 100 million dollars in their FB program in the last few years either.
                          Maybe it is a plateau, but its a pretty high plateau. I think once you get to an elite level, the last bit of "gains" come the hardest. The facilities are definitely a shot in the arm. I saw the redshirts walking in the Hobo Day parade, and they looked different. Maybe I haven't paid attention, but most looked like they would fit on the field right now from a physical standpoint. Now we are staring down the barrel of FCOA, which is a huge deal when your biggest recruiting competition is offering it. It boils down to a full scholarship offer vs. a 75% offer. We have some great things going, but its going to be a real challenge.

I've never called for Stig's head and I agree that there hasn't been a play or "offense" that is grounds for firing. I did however say the AD needs to ask some tough questions. NO WHERE did I say he should be in the locker room after the game or be calling Stig into his office. Those questions come after the season. Questions like: "We've been eliminated in the 2nd round 3 years in a row, what's the plan to advance the program further. We have a fan base who wants more." "Why do we seem to not show up to play NDSU?" If there isn't pressure from the administration they aren't doing their jobs.
                          Sorry for the misunderstanding, when you called for hard questions due to a specific outcome of a regular season game it seemed to me that you wanted the AD in Stig's office Monday morning. My bad, I agree that the AD should have high standards, and from the rumors I've heard he and Stig have had some very frank discussions centered on exactly the same questions you raise.

I sure as hell don't have an agenda against Stig. I want a legitimate shot at a National Championship and I just feel like we may never get there with Stig. I don't care that we beat a Kansas team this year that hasn't won a game. I don't care that we have our highest ranking ever (there freaking rankings! USD hasn't failed to receive votes yet.). I care about the end result and right now we are cruising towards barely squeaking into the playoffs and a likely second round loss at a seeded team (NDSU?).
                          We still have a legitimate shot at a National Championship this year. Its hard to claim we've plateaued when we are taking small incremental steps forward (FBS win, highest ranking ever, etc). I hope we get another chance against NDSU, we were within a whisker of beating them last year after a pretty sound regular season defeat.

I'm here for the victories as well. I'm not ashamed of the program, but I also don't look at it through Yellow and Blue glasses like most. To be the best you have to want to be the best.
                          Know how many undeafeated FCS national champs there have been in the last 11 years? One. Losing a regular season stinker or two (or three!) doesn't mean we can't put it together and make a run. NDSU barely won the title last year, trailing in the fourth quarter for 3 playoff games, and they got spanked by UNI near the end of the year. We can still put it together and make a run. Or we could lose out and things around here get really interesting...
                          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I see three guys who have four guys to block,poor play call period.The offensive linemen have been taking a lot of heat unfairly in my opinion.When there are more guys to block than you have blockers to do the job,then the blame for the play breaking down goes to the one who called it,and didn't see the problem and get the play changed with a TO.Just hoping a play will work when it can't is just ridiculous.Don't the QB's look at the situation and have a backup play (audible),or does that take two years for a guy to be able to do too.Sorry,no QB in this particular play.The guy who should have blocked was in the backfield,but I'm sure he went where the play dictated instead, and so he didn't help the play succeed at all and his RB got nailed in the backfield.Not players fault if they are blocking the way the play dictates where and who to block.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                              I see three guys who have four guys to block,poor play call period.The offensive linemen have been taking a lot of heat unfairly in my opinion.When there are more guys to block than you have blockers to do the job,then the blame for the play breaking down goes to the one who called it,and didn't see the problem and get the play changed with a TO.Just hoping a play will work when it can't is just ridiculous.Don't the QB's look at the situation and have a backup play (audible),or does that take two years for a guy to be able to do too.Sorry,no QB in this particular play.The guy who should have blocked was in the backfield,but I'm sure he went where the play dictated instead, and so he didn't help the play succeed at all and his RB got nailed in the backfield.Not players fault if they are blocking the way the play dictates where and who to block.
                              I will guarantee that the correct way to block that play is to let the far outside guy run free if they have to, you just can't allow inside penetration. This is the problem with this play call and this formation in general. It is the reason why it was just a fad and most everyone has stopped using it. If they do use it, it's usually not when you absolutely need a yard, it's more of a change of pace formation. Noone needs to stay home, because it's so predictable. Now, with all of that said, this particular play would have worked if we didn't let a guy run free through the B gap.

Comment

Offensive line gets no credit when the offense is successful and scores points. The Oline gets all the blame when the team struggles to score, especially by fan forum participants who dont watch the line play but are experts in their mind. Watch the game please and see how many defensive players are in the box playing the run and over pursuing immediately. UNI and NDSU did this often thus no place to run. Oline can only block so many defenders. Play calls must be better and other skilled players must do their part as well. Zone blocking is used and most fans don't have a clue. Sacks are a concern if the line didn't block well. QB is just as important to read, recognize and a quicker release. Receivers must get open, RBs need to pick up blitzes. Play calls must get the ball out quicker, try a roll out, keep a TE in to help with speed defensive ends. You have five Oline and they generally cannot block six and seven players rushing. Keep working hard Oline and win your battles, the season is still in front of you and goals can still be accomplished

Comment

Working...
                                X