Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
    Students doing dumb things? Wow, who would have thought that something this OUTRAGEOUS could happen. When I was a student everyone behaved... Oops forgot, there was that little riot thing. I'm in agreement with CappinHard, relax; enjoy the show and try to remember when you did dumb things as a student. Pretty sure everyone on here did something really dumb once or twice in life.
    Doing dumb things is one thing. Potentially harming innocent people is quite another. Not going to debate it with you someday you will figure it out.

Comment

C'mon guys, I think we can all agree that it is a blast to get hit in the head with a beer can. Heck, I love a good game of dodge beer whenever I get a chance to play. Just remember, if you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a beer. Just the other day, a buddy threw a full can of beer at my face from across the room, we laughed and laughed.
      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
        Doing dumb things is one thing. Potentially harming innocent people is quite another. Not going to debate it with you someday you will figure it out.
        You win, JACKGUYII, you win...

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          You and MontanaRabbit should become USD fans... I hear their tailgates are definitely more toned down than SDSU's... It was a big group of students acting like students, it's not like they started a riot. Get over it.
          Some interesting reading on wikipedia for those who think large groups of people participating in this type of behavior is no big deal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_psychology

When crowds act like this, all it takes is a catalyst to turn the situation very bad very quickly. Maybe its UPD arresting somebody. Maybe its a dad whose 5 year old gets hit with a can reacting. Maybe its a college kid escalating stupid behavior with more stupid behavior (HEY GUYS, THROWING BEER CANS IS FUN!!! YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE MIGHT BE FUN? TIPPING OVER A CAR!!! HAHAHA, WOOOO!).

None of those things happened in this case, but its the reason rules are in place to kill all the fun.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Are we now charged with knowledge that requires we walk through the tailgate area always looking up so that we can dodge a full beer can? I was leaving the tailgate area when the beers were being thrown and while on one level it was funny to see, I said to my companions "I'd be ticked off if I got hit with one of those or if I got wet with beer just minutes before I go into the stadium." Come on, cappinhard, this subject has nothing to do with political correctness. It has a lot to do with one's preference to not get hit on top of the head with a full beer and to not get wet before sitting in an outdoor stadium in 50 degree weather for a couple of hours.

I predict that because of the beer throwing, you'll see some new restrictions on whether people can congregate on the dirt paths intended for vehicles and walkers going from one tailgate spot to another tailgate spot. I'm not a fan of more rules. But, sometimes it's easy to see why rules occur.

Can I get one of those certificates?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
              So you/someone set up next to college aged kids, during HOBO Day and expected what exactly? Or if the college aged kids came in after and began to behave badly why not wander over, have a beer with them and ask them to stop? Your in South Dakota. Kids actually listen.

As for "figuring it out". Oh, I figured it out a long time ago. I enjoy life, and love seeing others doing the same. As I've aged I have learned to accept that sometimes people do dumb things, especially when they are young. If they cross the line I either talk to them or move on. If it doesn't I can smile and recall my own youth. When I did some really dumb things but had a freaking awesome time.

Life is WAY too short to be uptight.

Comment

I wasn't uptight when I was leaving the tailgate area, watching the beerworks (like "fireworks"?). I just didn't want to get hit with a full beer.

Secondary issue: it was sad to see spilled beer.

Comment

There's a difference between having fun and being out of control.

Boy, can't wait for my kids to tell their elementary school friends that they were doused with beer at the Jacks game. Nothing like washing beer out of little kids clothes.

Maybe we should sell beer in the stadium so that we can bring this party inside!

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    I had a video of it, but that's gone now unfortunately. It was pretty amazing to see. What started it all was a kid getting on top of a porta-potty and using a gopro to get a video of the crowd, someone threw an open beer toward him, he caught it and chugged it, which was pretty epic in a college student way. Then the beers started flying. I bet at the peak there were 40-50 open beers flying all over the crowd. It was literally raining beer. I even saw an open jug of bloody mary mix flying through the air, lol. As you said, dangerous... but hey, it's Hobo Day.
                    Looks like alcohol starts flying around the 2:50 mark of the video...

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                      So you/someone set up next to college aged kids, during HOBO Day and expected what exactly? Or if the college aged kids came in after and began to behave badly why not wander over, have a beer with them and ask them to stop? Your in South Dakota. Kids actually listen.

As for "figuring it out". Oh, I figured it out a long time ago. I enjoy life, and love seeing others doing the same. As I've aged I have learned to accept that sometimes people do dumb things, especially when they are young. If they cross the line I either talk to them or move on. If it doesn't I can smile and recall my own youth. When I did some really dumb things but had a freaking awesome time.

Life is WAY too short to be uptight.
                      It would be more accurate to say the college kids set up next to someone in the tailgating area. It was very difficult to leave the north tailgating area for the young people. The area where the sign for the student tailgating was not where the action was taking place. Great statement if your geography was accurate.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I've been hard on the UPD in past posts for being ever too present in the tailgate area. Things were out of control on Hobo Day and could have easily gotten way out of hand. My kids were scared. They holed up in the truck while I tried to prevent nearly full if not full beer cans from shattering a window, denting the hood or cracking somebody in the head. You have to be an idiot to throw a full beer can much less into a crowd of unsuspecting people. Add drunk to idiot and you get what you see in that video.

We contacted administration with our concerns. We need to work together to make the tailgate experience right for everybody. They need to find an area where the students can enjoy tailgating and so that those of us purchasing private sites can continue to enjoy what has previously been a very good experience.

Otherwise, I'm not tailgating on Hobo Day for sure, maybe not at all.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I've been hard on the UPD in past posts for being ever too present in the tailgate area. Things were out of control on Hobo Day and could have easily gotten way out of hand. My kids were scared. They holed up in the truck while I tried to prevent nearly full if not full beer cans from shattering a window, denting the hood or cracking somebody in the head. You have to be an idiot to throw a full beer can much less into a crowd of unsuspecting people. Add drunk to idiot and you get what you see in that video.

We contacted administration with our concerns. We need to work together to make the tailgate experience right for everybody. They need to find an area where the students can enjoy tailgating and so that those of us purchasing private sites can continue to enjoy what has previously been a very good experience.

Otherwise, I'm not tailgating on Hobo Day for sure, maybe not at all.

So it was MUCH bigger than I was thinking. Watched the video and you can see a UPD officer in the mix. Probably smarter to try and control that crowd by isolating them to start. I was off, from what I read on here I thought it was a few dumb college kids playing around, this is a bit bigger than that. I stand corrected in my remarks. The school and UPD need to figure that one out next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                            Some interesting reading on wikipedia for those who think large groups of people participating in this type of behavior is no big deal:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowd_psychology

When crowds act like this, all it takes is a catalyst to turn the situation very bad very quickly. Maybe its UPD arresting somebody. Maybe its a dad whose 5 year old gets hit with a can reacting. Maybe its a college kid escalating stupid behavior with more stupid behavior (HEY GUYS, THROWING BEER CANS IS FUN!!! YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE MIGHT BE FUN? TIPPING OVER A CAR!!! HAHAHA, WOOOO!).

None of those things happened in this case, but its the reason rules are in place to kill all the fun.
                            Just talk to the Emergency Responders staff and see how funny all that stuff is. Any people on scholarship should have them revoked. What stress is there in college compared to what rest of life is like, anyway? Drunk and disorderly is drunk and disorderly even though there is a mob doing it.

Comment

I'll second (or third) the motion that something needs to be done about the giant crowd of students in the open area. I think the designated "student area" with the live band on hobo was an attempt, but it failed miserably.

I should have known better, but thank God I navigated my wife and 4 year old through there before the beer started flying, we should've just avoided the area all together and exited more to the north.

A couple weeks ago when heading to the stadium my dad ended up having some wasted dude hanging on him, and then some other wasted dude throwing around the f-bomb at him because he bumped into him and spilled his beer while trying to navigate the crowd..who would've thought that same dude probably willingly threw his beer wildly into the air.

Now when we head in, we do so on the east side of the softball field and avoid the crowd all together.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Sorry, young, dumb and drunk are rarely acceptable excuses in the real world. I was up by the SJAC and saw this and thought what kind of dumb **** thinks this is acceptable behavior. Additionally the administration has went out of their way to make a student tailgating section. But the majority of the students do not use this. Perhaps the band was a bad idea? Personally I thought it was brilliant. I'm fairly certain the intent was to keep the crowd from blocking all access to people like the Yankton JACKRABBIT club. If I were part of that clan I would be more than a little upset. I can't see how tailgating during hobo day could have been enjoyable for jackMD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X