X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Hobo day "THE THREAD"

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
    Some quick thoughts on Saturday...

1) We have a pretty stout defense that will give a lot of teams fits the rest of the season.
    2) Christon is going to be a really special quarterback. I started to see a lot of good thing from him passing-wise. We just need to be able to shore up our line.
    3) Stig making the call to go for it it on 4th and 1? I was one of those people in the stands saying go for it... Of course hindsight is 20/20.
    4) It was a fantastic weekend... over 100 of us gathered this weekend for the Pride of the Dakotas Alumni reunion weekend. When I was playing on the 35 yard line during pre-game, I said to my self, "Self, you better enjoy this experience. You never know what will happen five years from now." (our next reunion). Pretty special weekend.
    I didn't find out about it till after the sign up weekend to join the alumni band. Wish the alumni drumline wiuld be able to play at the game like half time or pregame.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      I didn't find out about it till after the sign up weekend to join the alumni band. Wish the alumni drumline wiuld be able to play at the game like half time or pregame.
      Alumni band made its way out to tailgate lot and played.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
        ^THIS^ times a thousand!!!!!!

We can be unhappy about failed split second decisions and second guess all day. Stig is a man of character with few equals. He recruits, coaches, teaches and develops young men of character and the program is the epitome of scholar athletes. We are very fortunate and blessed as a fanbase.
        Never said he wasn't any of these things. He's a great man and a good coach. None of that changes why I think SDSU lost that FB game yesterday. I'm not asking for a change I'm just stating my opinion about where the program is right now and why it's there. Being a top 20 program in the nation is nothing to be ashamed of.

I think SDSU can be even better. I'm not sure if that will happen with Coach Stig or not. I'm certainly not saying he shouldn't continue to get that chance. Its certainly not my decision.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          You might lose some money. A certain team that wears red, and I don't mean USD, will be ripe for an upset on Nov 7.
          I'm not sure if we have an O-line good enough for that upset but I think we will for sure beat the other three teams. WIU is good but our D is shutting everyone down right now. There is a chance the offense puts it together and we beat ISUR but it will be a long shot. If The Wizard needs time to heal this is the week to give him that time.
          This loss is upsetting but if we finish 8-3 or 9-2 I assume everyone here will be happy especially with all we lost from last year. I'm in the camp where I think some games get to be too big for Stig and he will always come up short but he isisnt leaving until he wants to so we may have to get used to it. I do think the recruiting is getting as can be seen by a lot of true freshman playing this year. Hopefully that continues and the guys wearing white shirts on our sideline yesterday are as talented as we hope.

Comment

From the "on to youngstown" thread:

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
            Huge game next week. Huuuuge. (if your reading that as Jimmy Fallon doing Donald Trump, you're doing it right.)

Scary too, because it's just the type of game SDSU is notorious for failing to show up for. SDSU coming in 5-1 and warming up if not hot, typically tough but struggling UNI team that's 0-3 in conference that needs to win out. Looking forward to going 1-0. Can't wait!
            Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
            I disagree entirely. The type of game we sometimes don't show up for happened yesterday. We will show up for UNI. I think the bigger question is which UNI team shows up. They are beat up, physically; and it looks like emotionally. Hobo Day, big crowd, a chance to go 6-1, a chance to beat a team we don't like much, a chance to knock UNI out of the playoff picture. This is a big game, we will show up.

Like I said, I think it is a bigger question as to whether UNI shows up. Something is going on over there. I have to wonder how long Farley lasts.

Do you still disagree?
            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by gobigblue View Post
              I'm not sure if we have an O-line good enough for that upset but I think we will for sure beat the other three teams. WIU is good but our D is shutting everyone down right now. There is a chance the offense puts it together and we beat ISUR but it will be a long shot. If The Wizard needs time to heal this is the week to give him that time.
              This loss is upsetting but if we finish 8-3 or 9-2 I assume everyone here will be happy especially with all we lost from last year. I'm in the camp where I think some games get to be too big for Stig and he will always come up short but he isisnt leaving until he wants to so we may have to get used to it. I do think the recruiting is getting as can be seen by a lot of true freshman playing this year. Hopefully that continues and the guys wearing white shirts on our sideline yesterday are as talented as we hope.
              I concede the OL was not up to snuff on Saturday, but handled th LOS in the SUU ISU-B and Youngstown games. I think UNI took time to study the game tapes and took advantage of our let down. ISU Red is a different game and is as winnable as any other game.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                From the "on to youngstown" thread:

Do you still disagree?
                Nope, he was right.

Though I still think we lost the game when our coaching staff decided to screw around with our offense by starting Lujan. Our D is where I think most thought it would be at the beginning of the year, very very good. Because our offensive line is performing poorly right now I think we need a another option for our running game, TC is that option.

I think we did show up against UNI. Or should I say our defense showed up. Our offense looked horrible till the 2nd half when we showed some signs of life. Give Christon the first team reps and build your offense around him. Our defense will give us a shot to win, our offense just needs to generate some points. TC gives us that shot against the better teams in the conference, Lujan does not.

Comment

Nope, he was right.

Though I still think we lost the game when our coaching staff decided to screw around with our offense by starting Lujan. Our D is where I think most thought it would be at the beginning of the year, very very good. Because our offensive line is performing poorly right now I think we need a another option for our running game, TC is that option.

I think we did show up against UNI. Or should I say our defense showed up. Our offense looked horrible till the 2nd half when we showed some signs of life. Give Christon the first team reps and build your offense around him. Our defense will give us a shot to win, our offense just needs to generate some points. TC gives us that shot against the better teams in the conference, Lujan does not.
                  Watching the NFL game last evening Carolina vs ??? do not recall, but the commentators made this statement. With a running QB, you have one more blocker. where if you are handing off the ball to a RB you lose a blocker. We need to go more to running QB's like Ted Wahl and TC fits that bill. Lujan somewhat but not enough.

Comment

I haven't read through the entire meltdown but I'm not one who will call for Stigs head. And if I ever had on here shame on me. I do think he gets pretty comfortable at times and allows himself to get talked into a bad idea. I would have preferred we kick it, I think we win an OT game Saturday. That said, going for it on 4th and 1 wasn't the worst decision. The package put into the game was. Put the ball in the hands of the guy responsible for 80% of your offense Saturday. Sneak TC through a gap and we have the 1st down. Very poor play calling. I don't think Stig made that call, I think he let it play out.

Stig has earned the right to stay till he wants to go. He runs a clean program, graduates his players, and he wins more often than he loses. It seems that he is bringing in better and better talent. He is a great guy who is going nowhere.

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                    ^THIS^ times a thousand!!!!!!

We can be unhappy about failed split second decisions and second guess all day. Stig is a man of character with few equals. He recruits, coaches, teaches and develops young men of character and the program is the epitome of scholar athletes. We are very fortunate and blessed as a fanbase.

Comment

I'm super disappointed with the loss Saturday. Very frustrating when we don't know which team is going to show up week/week. As for the end of game decision, it is great that the coaches have faith in our players, but I would have rather kicked the field goal and taken our chances.

I do have to chuckle at a few comments by posters though. Literally every time we lose a game people are here chirping about how:

-there needs to be tough questions (there is tremendous pressure on the coaching staff to win NOW)
                      -this coaching staff has taken us as far as they can (we had our highest ranking ever within the last week)
                      -wildcat never works (it has given us some crucial gains multiple times this year alone)
                      -pop-up kicks never work (it has worked multiple times this year alone)
                      -we always lose big games (we KILLED YSU last week on their home field and got our very first FBS win THIS SEASON)
                      -"I know former players who are furious..." (Were they players who played during the 60+ years of true mediocrity??? If so, STFU, SDSU has accomplished more in the last 5 years than they ever dreamed of.)
                      -one everybody used to use was we lose early season games and have to play with our backs against the wall all season just to make the playoffs. Weird how the people who don't like Stig's style don't bring that up.

I remain optimistic. As far as I know, there is not 1 single preseason team goal that is out of reach.

My biggest concern is offensive line play. We can't run the ball consistently, and we give up a ton of sacks. almost 3 a game, that is 97th in FCS. Oddly, the freshman phenom with running ability is getting sacked much more often than the veteran who supposedly holds the ball too long.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Why don't we get TC on the move? A roll-out pass is much easier to scramble and run out of compared to a traditional pocket pass. If TC is going to succeed, we need to tailor our offense to him.

Also, screen pass anyone? UNI paid very good attention to the NDSU game film, and they executed it perfectly on defense. Stack the box, pin your ears back, get to the QB before Wieneke can get loose, and SDSU's predictable offense won't have a chance to get going. Credit to UNI for putting together a good defensive game plan. Having said that, we should still win that game... Very frustrating.

Comment

So does that mean you want Lujan to start?

I always get the impression that you don't think anyone should criticize the coaching staff. I go back to the early 90s on campus. I recall the lack of interest when Daly was putting together a solid program with some very good talent. I'm thrilled at the passion shown now for SDSU football. If that means some folks are unhappy after Saturday's games and vent some frustration with the coaching staff, good. It means people care. That's a sign of the higher level Stig and our Administration have taken our FB program.

On to MSU. Finally a week where the opponent is not a top 25 team.

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          I'm super disappointed with the loss Saturday. Very frustrating when we don't know which team is going to show up week/week. As for the end of game decision, it is great that the coaches have faith in our players, but I would have rather kicked the field goal and taken our chances.

I do have to chuckle at a few comments by posters though. Literally every time we lose a game people are here chirping about how:

-there needs to be tough questions (there is tremendous pressure on the coaching staff to win NOW)
                          -this coaching staff has taken us as far as they can (we had our highest ranking ever within the last week)
                          -wildcat never works (it has given us some crucial gains multiple times this year alone)
                          -pop-up kicks never work (it has worked multiple times this year alone)
                          -we always lose big games (we KILLED YSU last week on their home field and got our very first FBS win THIS SEASON)
                          -"I know former players who are furious..." (Were they players who played during the 60+ years of true mediocrity??? If so, STFU, SDSU has accomplished more in the last 5 years than they ever dreamed of.)
                          -one everybody used to use was we lose early season games and have to play with our backs against the wall all season just to make the playoffs. Weird how the people who don't like Stig's style don't bring that up.

I remain optimistic. As far as I know, there is not 1 single preseason team goal that is out of reach.

My biggest concern is offensive line play. We can't run the ball consistently, and we give up a ton of sacks. almost 3 a game, that is 97th in FCS. Oddly, the freshman phenom with running ability is getting sacked much more often than the veteran who supposedly holds the ball too long.

Comment

Ya know... as I was starting to become less upset about the game and looking for a silver lining, I thought about the following: Assuming that by losing that game, we essentially just punched our ticket to head up to Fargo once again in the 2nd round... AND assuming that Wentz isn't back by then... I'm not all that upset about the whole situation. Obviously it would have been nicer to win that game, get a seed, and play games in Brookings... but again, looking for a silver lining here.

Comment

Here are my thoughts after having calmed down and collected my senses.
                              - Our defense can be great. It's a pleasure to watch those young men fly around on the field with an attitude. They have held teams to 10 points or less in 5 of our 7 games! They need help...
                              -There are only a handful of games left in Lally's career and we are witnessing one of the greatest defensive players to represent our university. We should enjoy watching him as he and the seniors close out their careers. Our d-line continues to improve and I am optimistic that this trend will continue, we'll find out more in 2 weeks.
                              - Our o-line is inconsistent. They have good games and they have bad games. I'm not ready to throw in the towel on this group, but they have to improve and become more consistent in a hurry! If they don't do this, than I will change my initial statement on this group. It is nearly impossible to sustain any success or get in any rhythm as an offense if your o-line is consistently losing the battle up front. How many games have we struggled to rush the ball? In my opinion, the remainder of the season is resting squarely on the shoulders of this group!
                              - QB's...Stig and Eidsness need to pick a QB and go with him. I don't care if it is Lujan or Christion. They are both good and I will support both of them, but for the love of all that is holy please do not rotate QB's! The last thing we need is to have 2 quarterbacks looking over their shoulders every time they fumble, throw a pick, take a sack, or even throw an incompletion. Our offense is not dominant/good enough to rotate QB's and expect to get in any rhythm. The coaches get to see these guys every day on the practice field and in meetings. Pick the guy that gives you the best chance to win and stick with him. Leaders get paid to make tough decisions...Stig/Eidsness need to have the fortitude to make a decision and go. Someone will always second guess a decision of this magnitude, but dooming us to the fate of indecision is worse!
                              - We are set up for what on paper appears to be a rebound game. This is good, because I fully expect to have to fight for our playoff lives the last 3 games!

Comment

So does that mean you want Lujan to start?

I always get the impression that you don't think anyone should criticize the coaching staff. I go back to the early 90s on campus. I recall the lack of interest when Daly was putting together a solid program with some very good talent. I'm thrilled at the passion shown now for SDSU football. If that means some folks are unhappy after Saturday's games and vent some frustration with the coaching staff, good. It means people care. That's a sign of the higher level Stig and our Administration have taken our FB program.

On to MSU. Finally a week where the opponent is not a top 25 team.
                                I think TC is the future and gives us the best chance at winning now. I just don't think he is a difference maker at this point, and we probably lose as much through inexperience as we gain through his athletic ability. In short, QB isn't the problem or solution for this team.

I have a problem with people who use statements like "mediocre" to describe Stig, the coaching staff, or the program. These things are clearly not mediocre, unless someone changed the definition of the word.

I also have a problem with folks who post things like "that's a fireable offense" or "that is inexcusable." That indicates a change is necessary in the near future.

Lastly, the "there should be some tough questions asked" type of posts. I would prefer if the AD would get the hell out of the coaches way during the season. The last thing (in my opinion) that we want is an administrator micro-managing a very good football program. That goes for no matter who the coach is.

People who post "we never win big games" (when we have), that play never works (when it has), or we have a mediocre program (we don't) have an agenda against Coach Stig. They seem to want a coach who is an intimidating macho-man that swears and wins at all costs. I think that is dumb. We are the envy of 90% of FCS.

It is the same cast of characters that use this type of language anytime we lose, and they are largely absent when we win. To me, I see an agenda from people who don't like Stig, not a criticism.

I see your point about people caring about the program, and maybe I'm reading too much into some posts. I'm extremely proud of our football program, I get the feeling many posters are ashamed. Being ashamed of SDSU football at this point seems insane to me.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X