Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    DONT BE STUPID AND MAKE STUPID JOKES ABOUT BEING HANDICAPPED. There is no excuse for this.
    Lighten up Francis.

Comment

Was librarian for the blind and physically handicapped for the State of Georgia from 72-76, and some of the funniest people I ever met were blind, whether it was pulling a bunch of drunk blind people through a revolving door, or watching an attorney who used to let his guide dog jump into traffic in order to hear brake squeals (the dog was an artist at stunt-dogship and never got hurt).

Also, I could write a book about the escapades of one Crawford Pike, who looked like Colonel Sanders but occasionally packed heat ("they won't convict a blind man for defending his home"), and was the most Southern-gentleman but profane human being I ever met. Could gross me out, and that was pretty hard to do. Assume he's now dead, he'd be in his upper eighties, but I'm throwing his name out there in the chance that someone remembers him and will find this on a random Google.

And everyone in the business forty years ago had to come equipped with at least five jokes relating to Playboy in braille... got that question every time I made a speech.

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Have you ever met a blind person? You would not be making jokes like this if you were blind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyXz2SAXGw0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpCQgCy9To4

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
        Was librarian for the blind and physically handicapped for the State of Georgia from 72-76, and some of the funniest people I ever met were blind, whether it was pulling a bunch of drunk blind people through a revolving door, or watching an attorney who used to let his guide dog jump into traffic in order to hear brake squeals (the dog was an artist at stunt-dogship and never got hurt).

Also, I could write a book about the escapades of one Crawford Pike, who looked like Colonel Sanders but occasionally packed heat ("they won't convict a blind man for defending his home"), and was the most Southern-gentleman but profane human being I ever met. Could gross me out, and that was pretty hard to do. Assume he's now dead, he'd be in his upper eighties, but I'm throwing his name out there in the chance that someone remembers him and will find this on a random Google.

And everyone in the business forty years ago had to come equipped with at least five jokes relating to Playboy in braille... got that question every time I made a speech.
        Grizzled Jack:

Yes if one were blind, you would have to have a sense humor. I think Wayne Sumner part of the Austin Sumner family had graduated and moved on before you came to campus, but I got to know him. Having wit was the best part of Wayne. He knew exactly how many steps to take in walking from Eastman's Hall to Jim's Tap. Jims was a townie bar back then before Donnie Urquart took over. That where I met Wayne.
        JackJD has told me stories about Wayne's brother also blind, who was an attorney in Watertown and used to or still may hunt pheasants. Its amazing how they have manage to over come a major handicap.

TK: I will lighten up, just don't call me Francis.

Comment

Finally cought up reading TVs blog about a few different things and the thing that really jumped out to me that not sure it was really covered was just the fact that Sell made it sound like 6 games at home will be the new norm. thats what i have been saying for years. need to build the culture of SDSU football. Its going to be a sticker shock with the ticket price of a new stadium and the cost of an extra game. But for the long term its what is needed. Now we sell out 1 game ayear(NDSU or USD) and 2 others are good attendance(beef bowl and hobo day), while a couple other games really hurt for attendance. so if we can get those casual fans to come out, the new stadium i think will help draw people out who dont like the crowded stadium with horrible consessions and outdates restrooms with grandstand with out handrails, etc to something that is user friendly and fixes those issues plus if the team keeps on winning and making the playoffs that will get butts in the seats. I know B'gosh isnt the ideal game, its bad on many levels, but the future is bright that is for sure.

I still hate the idea though of it being fake grass in the new stadium..........just seems wrong for an Ag school plus it does have some benefits of a home field advantage as much as some people hate real turf. Sorry for the rant off topic.....I was just happy to see that Sell is really making 6 home games the new norm.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Finally cought up reading TVs blog about a few different things and the thing that really jumped out to me that not sure it was really covered was just the fact that Sell made it sound like 6 games at home will be the new norm. thats what i have been saying for years. need to build the culture of SDSU football. Its going to be a sticker shock with the ticket price of a new stadium and the cost of an extra game. But for the long term its what is needed. Now we sell out 1 game ayear(NDSU or USD) and 2 others are good attendance(beef bowl and hobo day), while a couple other games really hurt for attendance. so if we can get those casual fans to come out, the new stadium i think will help draw people out who dont like the crowded stadium with horrible consessions and outdates restrooms with grandstand with out handrails, etc to something that is user friendly and fixes those issues plus if the team keeps on winning and making the playoffs that will get butts in the seats. I know B'gosh isnt the ideal game, its bad on many levels, but the future is bright that is for sure.

I still hate the idea though of it being fake grass in the new stadium..........just seems wrong for an Ag school plus it does have some benefits of a home field advantage as much as some people hate real turf. Sorry for the rant off topic.....I was just happy to see that Sell is really making 6 home games the new norm.
            I know i read that having a 6th game, 7 out of every 10 years, was used as one of the funding components for the new stadium. Doesn't mean they won't do it all 10 years,tho.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              I know i read that having a 6th game, 7 out of every 10 years, was used as one of the funding components for the new stadium. Doesn't mean they won't do it all 10 years,tho.
              No I doubt it would be every year but if there are 12 games i would assume it would happen and with 11 games probably more 50/50 but a greater push for 6 then in years past.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                With all due respect, can you clarify that comment? Are we as season ticket holders paying for a ticket for this game, or are we getting our tickets for free? Or are you stating that because of how much we had to pay Osh Kosh B'Gosh to come play, SDSU will lose money on this game - even with the extra dollars from season ticket holders?
                My comment came in regards to your earlier post, and I quote "There is no good that can come from having this game on the schedule, other than additional $ from us season ticket holders." There are no additional $$$ from us season ticket holders as the price on season tickets was set long before the schedule was completed. It cost you and me the same dollars, except we get to have a Beef Bowl game...which is in fact, one of the main reasons we needed this game. There will be $$ for the game from non-season ticket holders, of course, and the sponsoring organizations have been very good at getting constituent turnouts for Beef Bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  My comment came in regards to your earlier post, and I quote "There is no good that can come from having this game on the schedule, other than additional $ from us season ticket holders." There are no additional $$$ from us season ticket holders as the price on season tickets was set long before the schedule was completed. It cost you and me the same dollars, except we get to have a Beef Bowl game...which is in fact, one of the main reasons we needed this game. There will be $$ for the game from non-season ticket holders, of course, and the sponsoring organizations have been very good at getting constituent turnouts for Beef Bowl.
                  OMG. I can't believe you, as a large donor, are naive enough to think that. Believe what you want, but at $28 per ticket, you can bet your a$$ that the 6th game was already built into the season ticket price, regardless of whether or not it was ever scheduled.

If it wasn't, as you claim, then our admin is completely inept and has no concept of how to generate revenue.

Comment

TK, who did you want them to schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

OMG. I can't believe you, as a large donor, are naive enough to think that. Believe what you want, but at $28 per ticket, you can bet your a$$ that the 6th game was already built into the season ticket price, regardless of whether or not it was ever scheduled.

If it wasn't, as you claim, then our admin is completely inept and has no concept of how to generate revenue.
                      Isn't that what he is saying? I think you're both saying the same thing,the cost of the sixth game was already built into the season tickets.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                        TK, who did you want them to schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        We've been over this. I thought the consensus was The School for the Blind?

Comment

We've been over this. I thought the consensus was The School for the Blind?

In the world of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Comment

Is it okay if people don't agree with you? I'm offended by the shots you're taking at Jacks#1Fan. Fortunately for SDSU athletics, there are few on this message board who submit posts with the same strident criticism of the athletic department.

When many people buy season tickets, they don't make a per-game calculation. They buy season tickets so that they know they have a guaranteed seat that is the same for every home game, no matter how many home games are scheduled. People also buy season tickets out of support for the athletic department, a contribution to the overall effort to add athletic scholarships, hire coaches, pay coaches more, and continually upgrade facilities. Those are some of the main reasons I buy season tickets and I know many others who are similarly motivated.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              When many people buy season tickets, they don't make a per-game calculation.
                              I guess that I might have to disagree with this part of your post. Some of use on tighter budgets have to spread our Entertainment Dollars around and cost per event is a factor, so is opportunity cost when related to this budget item. I.E if I have X dollars budgeted for Entertainment for the year perhaps I can go to one of George Straight's last concerts or have season tickets at $X per game.
                              And there is always the wife factor, she likes to go, but only to a certain cost level (which is quite quickly worked out to $$/per-game).

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                Is it okay if people don't agree with you? I'm offended by the shots you're taking at Jacks#1Fan. Fortunately for SDSU athletics, there are few on this message board who submit posts with the same strident criticism of the athletic department.
                                Be offended all you want. Some posters choose to be mouthpieces for the admin, and when they are blowing smoke I'm going to call them out on it.

The issue is pretty black and white JD. There really isn't anything to agree/disagree with - it is not an opinion piece. I'm sorry you fail to comprehend that. I don't know how else to explain it.

If you want to "disagree" and pretend that season ticket holders didn't pay a dime for the 6th home game and that we got it "for free", I'll pat you on the back and say "you sure did Johnny, you sure did".

Comment

Working...
                                X