Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Season Tickets and schedule

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Virtually every FCS team plays a BCS team every year. I don't see that changing unless the BCS teams quit scheduling FCS teams. Even some of the most prestigious FCS programs schedule BCS games out of necessity (See the U of Montana).

As far as staying regional.....we have been. Illinois is the farthest we have traveled as I recall. It's not like we have gone to Oregon.
    BCS are starting to not schedule FCS teams i.e.: The Big Ten. They are receiving too much money now from their expansion, Maryland and Rutgers. They can't get enough conference games scheduled against all of the teams in the conference to begin with. Also, you have Wisconsin discouraging other Big Ten games from scheduling schools. With the TV contracts, they are lacking for money thus eliminating the need for non conference FCS games. Plus they have nothing to win and everything to lose playing FCS schools. Cal Poly should have beat Wisconsin, and look at the losses the Big Ten teams have had. Especially Minnesota. Kill is doing everything he can to avoid playing FCS school. Minnesota bought out North Carolina for fear of a loss. and so on.

The Administration has had to deal with this new reality. I initially was upset about this game but have given it some thought. I am giving them a pass. I think SDSU decided a game was better than not playing a game.

My opinion is the Valley conference should help the teams within the conference with regards to schedules. I also the NCAA, especially those in the FCS division, need to look at scheduling and start working together to help avoid such situations. I'm sure that SDSU is not the only team having this struggle. Let the NCAA start earning some of their money. I think the NCAA and the Valley would have more to offer than most others.

Comment

IIRC when the conference added USD they also stopped playing a full round robin schedule, at least partially because the teams in the far east and far south of the conference only wanted to have to make one trip per season to the Dakotas. If all of the teams in the conference start having schedule difficulties, it may be appropriate to revisit that issue and look for one more team to add and play ten (5 at home and 5 on the road) conference games per season. Of course, that will depend largely on those faraway teams. I don't recall if anyone has mentioned the recent SEC proposal to require each of its members to schedule at least one OOC game against a team from one of the other power conferences. Just one mere nail in the FCS scheduling coffin if SEC games become more difficult to get. But, maybe the SEC isn't a real factor.
      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        1 - Automatic revenue generation through season ticket holder $.
        Honestly TK, sometimes I wonder what world you come from? There are no $$$$$$$ from season ticketholders regarding the playing of this game or having decided not to schedule it. And I know for sure that nobody in the athletic administration or football staff wanted a two-week bye before jumping into the conference season, and the date they wanted to fill was Sept. 20, not Sept. 27. AND, we needed a game for Beef Bowl day, which always brings a large crowd of its own.

Take a deep breath all of you O My Gosh fans (or is that O MY Gosh, Oskosh fans?). I personally am aware of all the difficulties at getting even this game scheduled. Everything will be just fine...and those of you who want to give away your tickets for that game can send them my way. I can make good use of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          Honestly TK, sometimes I wonder what world you come from? There are no $$$$$$$ from season ticketholders regarding the playing of this game or having decided not to schedule it. And I know for sure that nobody in the athletic administration or football staff wanted a two-week bye before jumping into the conference season, and the date they wanted to fill was Sept. 20, not Sept. 27. AND, we needed a game for Beef Bowl day, which always brings a large crowd of its own.

Take a deep breath all of you O My Gosh fans (or is that O MY Gosh, Oskosh fans?). I personally am aware of all the difficulties at getting even this game scheduled. Everything will be just fine...and those of you who want to give away your tickets for that game can send them my way. I can make good use of them.
          I'm somewhere in the middle on this. I don't think its unreasonable to have an expectation that a season ticket holder be able to attend 6 division I FCS level games at home in a year allowing a 12 game schedule. If I am recalling correctly there have been a couple of seasons that hasn't happened or nearly hasn't happened. I will attend the game if my work schedule allows because I support SDSU and Jackrabbit athletics. Beef bowl fans will attend as well and there will be a nice walk-up if the weather is good. So, from a general fan perspective and as a Jackrabbit booster I'm perfectly okay with it. As a season ticket holder contemplating a much larger investment in future season tickets I'm a bit concerned about what it says about future scheduling. I don't think its unreasonable to have some reservations about it.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I would guess that the reservations that some might have about scheduling has been noted as there was reference to a comment about more people getting involved in the scheduling. If there is a game with the school of the blind next year, we might think no lessons were learned. It is not greatly different for the men basketball to have D2 teams coming to Frost since it is not easy to schedule D1 OOC for home games. Meanwhile, we should expect a large effort much earlier to solve these schedule problems. The BCS games are scheduled years ahead. It may take a similar effort to get FCS teams in rotation as well. The schedule plan will need a tweak since last year's game with Butler was a last minute event as well.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              Honestly TK, sometimes I wonder what world you come from? There are no $$$$$$$ from season ticketholders regarding the playing of this game or having decided not to schedule it.
              With all due respect, can you clarify that comment? Are we as season ticket holders paying for a ticket for this game, or are we getting our tickets for free?

Or are you stating that because of how much we had to pay Osh Kosh B'Gosh to come play, SDSU will lose money on this game - even with the extra dollars from season ticket holders?
              Last edited by TK22867; 04-30-2014, 12:53 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

With all due respect, can you clarify that comment? Are we as season ticket holders not paying for a ticket for this game, or are we getting our tickets for free?

Or are you stating that because of how much we had to pay Osh Kosh B'Gosh to come play, SDSU will lose money on this game - even with the extra dollars from season ticket holders?
                Yepper 20 bucks.

We will not lose money on the Oskosh game. Even with 8000 tickets sold we have $160,000 in revenue. If we pay them as high as $100,000 in guarantee, there is still $60,000 in margin. The guarantee was not disclosed but 100k would be quite a bit to pay. It could be less.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Yepper 20 bucks.

We will not lose money on the Oskosh game. Even with 8000 tickets sold we have $160,000 in revenue. If we pay them as high as $100,000 in guarantee, there is still $60,000 in margin. The guarantee was not disclosed but 100k would be quite a bit to pay. It could be less.
                  I'll let #1 respond accordingly, but the point I was trying to make is that any home game that is scheduled in Brookings, whether that is against Butler or the School of the Blind, SDSU can automatically count on revenue generation from the season ticket holders because we are forced to buy tickets for that game (much like pre-season games and season ticket holders in the NFL). I'm not sure how you could really debate that my point is not valid - unless we are actually losing money by paying the opponent more than we expect to take in.
                  Last edited by TK22867; 04-30-2014, 12:57 PM. Reason: Clarification

Comment

I'll let #1 respond accordingly, but the point I was trying to make is that any home game that is scheduled in Brookings, whether that is against Butler or the School of the Blind, SDSU can automatically count on revenue generation from the season ticket holders because we are forced to buy tickets for that game (much like pre-season games and season ticket holders in the NFL). I'm not sure how you could really debate that my point is not valid - unless we are actually losing money by paying the opponent more than we expect to take in.
                    A Little thread drift, but wasnt the school for the blind up in Gary Sd till about 1960ish? which has since been turned in to the buffalo ridge resort. Which i have been to and its very nice so if your looking for a nice weekend getaway its very peaceful there. The resturant was pretty good too which is where the cafeteria was and there are tunnels underground to get to and from building on campus due to bad weather and its got a lot of the old charm and character still in tact.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      A Little thread drift, but wasnt the school for the blind up in Gary Sd till about 1960ish? which has since been turned in to the buffalo ridge resort. Which i have been to and its very nice so if your looking for a nice weekend getaway its very peaceful there. The resturant was pretty good too which is where the cafeteria was and there are tunnels underground to get to and from building on campus due to bad weather and its got a lot of the old charm and character still in tact.
                      Yes, it was located in Gary.
                      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Personally, I don't mind the Athletic Department grabbing for some extra cash. Money pays the bills.

I'm more upset with the fact that they couldn't find somebody who would count for a playoff bid. At least find a DII.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                          IIRC when the conference added USD they also stopped playing a full round robin schedule, at least partially because the teams in the far east and far south of the conference only wanted to have to make one trip per season to the Dakotas. If all of the teams in the conference start having schedule difficulties, it may be appropriate to revisit that issue and look for one more team to add and play ten (5 at home and 5 on the road) conference games per season. Of course, that will depend largely on those faraway teams. I don't recall if anyone has mentioned the recent SEC proposal to require each of its members to schedule at least one OOC game against a team from one of the other power conferences. Just one mere nail in the FCS scheduling coffin if SEC games become more difficult to get. But, maybe the SEC isn't a real factor.
                          Actually the SEC is going to continue playing a 8 game schedule with one game against power conference school. This allows them to continue playing FCS teams,which their commissioner reaffirmed.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            I would guess that the reservations that some might have about scheduling has been noted as there was reference to a comment about more people getting involved in the scheduling. If there is a game with the school of the blind next year, we might think no lessons were learned. It is not greatly different for the men basketball to have D2 teams coming to Frost since it is not easy to schedule D1 OOC for home games. Meanwhile, we should expect a large effort much earlier to solve these schedule problems. The BCS games are scheduled years ahead. It may take a similar effort to get FCS teams in rotation as well. The schedule plan will need a tweak since last year's game with Butler was a last minute event as well.
                            The schedule is set for 2015,so if SOB is going to reappear it would be the following year.

Comment

​This thread needs some drift!

For those who aren't familiar with the Buffalo Ridge Resort, here's a link to its website.

http://www.buffaloridgeresort.com/

It's a great place...if you're in the neighborhood or looking for a nice drive on a summer weekend, check it out. Good food and, as goon noted, peaceful surroundings.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                ​This thread needs some drift!

For those who aren't familiar with the Buffalo Ridge Resort, here's a link to its website.

http://www.buffaloridgeresort.com/

It's a great place...if you're in the neighborhood or looking for a nice drive on a summer weekend, check it out. Good food and, as goon noted, peaceful surroundings.
                                Oh yes the Old School for Blind. I had a temporary job at EMS, they do repair and maintenance for wind towers. The owner Joe Kolback had just sold his company and had bought the grounds for the school for the blind. I believe this gentleman was originally from Howard SD. How is that for thread drift.

Comment

Working...
                                X