X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Year

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
    I was secretly thinking Austin could run and get yards if he took off at the right time,even with his speed ,just waitng to see if someone else thought the same thing.Like the naked boot
    once or twice a game, if they clear out one side of the field for him.
    didnt he run it a bit more as a freshman, he would do a checkdown or too if not there tuck it and run, seemed like he had several or seemed like it. I think since he waits in the pocket more now to see if a WR gets open he looses the space and lanes that open up for him to run.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      They are like Youngstown was last year if i remember right, they started great and just tanked for loosing games that seemed more then winnable. Lets face it, its not like he manhandled um, as much as we made plays to win, UNI had to miss plays for us to win also. A FG and 3 open WRs which 1 of those 4 happens we dont win.

And we didnt have any dropped passed, overthrows that might have changed what happened in a drive? They did it in overtime so it makes it look bigger. They missed a FG on the last play of the game. We missed one earlier in the game. We dont go to overtime if we make that. We missed plays too. That happens in every game. There are missed opportunities in every game. Just because theirs happened at the end, doesnt mean they handed us the win.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        And we didnt have any dropped passed, overthrows that might have changed what happened in a drive? They did it in overtime so it makes it look bigger. They missed a FG on the last play of the game. We missed one earlier in the game. We dont go to overtime if we make that. We missed plays too. That happens in every game. There are missed opportunities in every game. Just because theirs happened at the end, doesnt mean they handed us the win.
        Fair points so basically we just sucked less. UNI wasnt missing wide open WR all game, or missing kicks since they have a legit kicker it seemd like they were playing better, until the last 2 seconds of the game and overtime they fell apart IMHO. Just been a frustrating year and some tough losses, I will give um credit since I didnt think we would beat UNI. to me it felt more like we got lucky to win then deserved to win. I think we win next game rather easily, but I still am worried about the last 2. Hopefully the fear of a losing schedule with the chance of winning out making the playoffs gets them fired up for these last 3.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          This ^ coming from the same poster who wanted Stig put on the hot seat less than 1 week ago.
          Chuckling, Chortling, out right laughing here. Amazing how a W puts me in a better mood.

Of course Stig was on the hot seat for a W last week. And he produced - he got a W!!! As I said - pressure is good in sports.

And Stig will be on the hot seat to produce a W the next 3 weeks. It is D1 sports. Try to get used to it. To whom much is given, much is expected.

But like I said - give Stig and staff credit. The coaches adjusted and did a great job. Ditto for the players. Gutsy play all around.

And as for some of you other guys - They don't give style points for Wins. They just put the Win in the Win column and the L in the Loss column. The Jacks won by 3 which is the home field advantage. Northern Iowa doesn't like outside almost as much as the Jacks don't like those artificial domes. NIU is a great program and it was a great W. Anytime we beat them it is cause for celebration. I've seen too many losses down in Iowa. Again - part of it is getting you to realize that SDSU is playing big time football in a big time conference. It is D1.

Nidaros was spot on with his comments.

I think the Jacks have Youngstown's number and will beat them at the end of the year. If they can't, they won't do anything in the.. playoffs. At least we can still say playoffs.

AND the best thing of all - NO ONE is talking about next year anymore. Everyone now is chatting about THIS year.

GO Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            Fair points so basically we just sucked less. UNI wasnt missing wide open WR all game, or missing kicks since they have a legit kicker it seemd like they were playing better, until the last 2 seconds of the game and overtime they fell apart IMHO. Just been a frustrating year and some tough losses, I will give um credit since I didnt think we would beat UNI. to me it felt more like we got lucky to win then deserved to win. I think we win next game rather easily, but I still am worried about the last 2. Hopefully the fear of a losing schedule with the chance of winning out making the playoffs gets them fired up for these last 3.
            Goon - Enjoy the season.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
              Chuckling, Chortling, out right laughing here. Amazing how a W puts me in a better mood.

Of course Stig was on the hot seat for a W last week. And he produced - he got a W!!! As I said - pressure is good in sports.

And Stig will be on the hot seat to produce a W the next 3 weeks. It is D1 sports. Try to get used to it. To whom much is given, much is expected.

But like I said - give Stig and staff credit. The coaches adjusted and did a great job. Ditto for the players. Gutsy play all around.

And as for some of you other guys - They don't give style points for Wins. They just put the Win in the Win column and the L in the Loss column. The Jacks won by 3 which is the home field advantage. Northern Iowa doesn't like outside almost as much as the Jacks don't like those artificial domes. NIU is a great program and it was a great W. Anytime we beat them it is cause for celebration. I've seen too many losses down in Iowa. Again - part of it is getting you to realize that SDSU is playing big time football in a big time conference. It is D1.

Nidaros was spot on with his comments.

I think the Jacks have Youngstown's number and will beat them at the end of the year. If they can't, they won't do anything in the.. playoffs. At least we can still say playoffs.

AND the best thing of all - NO ONE is talking about next year anymore. Everyone now is chatting about THIS year.

GO Jacks!!!
              Would you say the bold if UNI had made the field goal to end regulation? Cause if that's the difference between a coach doing a good job and deserving to be on the hot seat, oofta.

I think my (and others) point is that a good coach doesn't need to be on the hot seat to feel pressure or perform their job effectively. IMO, Stig is a good coach.

I think part of the disagreement on the "hot seat" issue is misunderstanding of the term. IMO, hot seat refers to a coach who must win the next 1-3 games to keep their job, a coach on the verge of being fired. Its like a regular employee going on probation. A person has a set/short time table to correct issues or they are done. Stig is at least a calendar year from being on the hot seat. We could lose the next 3 games, and Stig's job wouldn't be in jeopardy until at least the middle of next year.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                Would you say the bold if UNI had made the field goal to end regulation? Cause if that's the difference between a coach doing a good job and deserving to be on the hot seat, oofta.

I think my (and others) point is that a good coach doesn't need to be on the hot seat to feel pressure or perform their job effectively. IMO, Stig is a good coach.

I think part of the disagreement on the "hot seat" issue is misunderstanding of the term. IMO, hot seat refers to a coach who must win the next 1-3 games to keep their job, a coach on the verge of being fired. Its like a regular employee going on probation. A person has a set/short time table to correct issues or they are done. Stig is at least a calendar year from being on the hot seat. We could lose the next 3 games, and Stig's job wouldn't be in jeopardy until at least the middle of next year.
                Read Mitchell Rabbit's comments. He summarized this already and did an excellent job. You can play the what if game for every football game from Pee Wee's to the NFL. You are really beating a dead horse here. And yes, that is the difference in coaches who get paid ie: college vs. High School coaches. Even D3 coaches have to win. High School Coaches don't have to win to keep their jobs. DI coaches do.

I realize that big time football is new to South Dakota - but get used to it. The program is big time. A W counts the same in the score book. Missing field goals is part of the game.

Lets play the what if game with you about Stig's future. What if Stig lost on Saturday and what if he lost out for the year? I totally disagree with you that Stig wouldn't have been in trouble. Where do you come up with the calendar year? Out of thin air? Stig is honest with his players and tells them if they don't win, he and the coaches jobs are in trouble.

This is a moot argument because Stig Won. And... it keeps showing me that some Jack's fans still are mired in the DII days.

Every D1's coaching job is on the hot seat or should be if they don't win. And you maybe right - it may be semantics. But if a D1 coach doesn't win, they don't keep their jobs long. Plus I also said that if a D1 coaches job is in trouble, the first people who get fired are the coordinators. Or hinted that they should leave.

Umm do you remember Luke Meadows???

Comment

Read Mitchell Rabbit's comments. He summarized this already and did an excellent job. You can play the what if game for every football game from Pee Wee's to the NFL. You are really beating a dead horse here. And yes, that is the difference in coaches who get paid ie: college vs. High School coaches. Even D3 coaches have to win. High School Coaches don't have to win to keep their jobs. DI coaches do.

I realize that big time football is new to South Dakota - but get used to it. The program is big time. A W counts the same in the score book. Missing field goals is part of the game.

Lets play the what if game with you about Stig's future. What if Stig lost on Saturday and what if he lost out for the year? I totally disagree with you that Stig wouldn't have been in trouble. Where do you come up with the calendar year? Out of thin air? Stig is honest with his players and tells them if they don't win, he and the coaches jobs are in trouble.

This is a moot argument because Stig Won. And... it keeps showing me that some Jack's fans still are mired in the DII days.

Every D1's coaching job is on the hot seat or should be if they don't win. And you maybe right - it may be semantics. But if a D1 coach doesn't win, they don't keep their jobs long. Plus I also said that if a D1 coaches job is in trouble, the first people who get fired are the coordinators. Or hinted that they should leave.

Umm do you remember Luke Meadows???
                  LOL, I'm sure Coach Bohl would be on the hot seat if the Bison start out 4-4 next year.

Stig's performance has earned another 12 months worth of leeway from me due to his recent past performance.
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

O yeah - I forgot to address the bold type. If the coaches didn't adjust, and would have lost, yes I would have called them out. I've done it before.

Now that they won - I also CLEARLY pointed it out and gave them credit. They DID adjust and do a great job on Saturday. Proven on the field.

The adjustment I like best is Cole Langer. What a pedigree! I'm sure his Grandfather had/has some tips for him. I respect Jim Langer immensely. What a great person and role model for all of us.

Comment

LOL, I'm sure Coach Bohl would be on the hot seat if the Bison start out 4-4 next year.

Stig's performance has earned another 12 months worth of leeway from me due to his recent past performance.
                      Bohl was on the hot seat a few years ago for all of the DUI's or did you forget? Even Bisonville was getting concerned.

Now if you want my opinion, I'd rather have my son play for Stig vs. playing for Bohl. I have much more respect for Stig as a person.

Comment

Bohl was on the hot seat a few years ago for all of the DUI's or did you forget? Even Bisonville was getting concerned.

Now if you want my opinion, I'd rather have my son play for Stig vs. playing for Bohl. I have much more respect for Stig as a person.
                        Bohl was on the "hot seat" because the team was bad before he had a chance to earn enough goodwill to let a bad season or two slide. At that point in time, Bohl hadn't even won a DI conference crown (SDSU had), and they had one of the worst seasons in 50 years. And DUI's. And speeding tickets. And issues with player behavior. And ticket sales were waaay down.

Completely different scenario with present day Stig, IMO.

I understand opinions can differ, but your posts have an unnecessarily snarky tone.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          That is an inaccurate correlation. The missed FG was at the end of regulation in a tie game that would have ended it. The overthrown wide open WR was in overtime. Both plays would have ended the game at that point. The mistakes that SDSU made would not have ended the game as soon as they were completed successfully.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            That is an inaccurate correlation. The missed FG was at the end of regulation in a tie game that would have ended it. The overthrown wide open WR was in overtime. Both plays would have ended the game at that point. The mistakes that SDSU made would not have ended the game as soon as they were completed successfully.
                            I dont think its inaccurate but each play that happens next is more important and has a bigger impact on the outcome IMHO. Sure a lot of things have to happen before we get to the last 2 seconds waiting for a potential game winning FG attempt, but the holding call on Zenners long run was more costly to us then a dropped pass earlier in the game, the next play Sumner throwing a INT was more costly then they holding on the ZZ run etc, so even though every play affects the game, the plays at the end of the game obviously determine the final outcome. Probably didnt make any sense but atleast thats how i view it.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

And in basketball, the missed free throw with 2 seconds to go, loses you the game and is that players fault for not making it. The missed free throws during the rest of the game, mean nothing.

Comment

I'm siding with Goon and SFR on these issues. Stig being anywhere near the proverbial "hot-seat" (which is defined in every circle as on the verge of losing his job - not just winning a single game week to week) is outright laughable. As #1 said, we went 2 games deep into the playoffs just last year and would have gone even further had we not run into the Bison so early.

I understand Mitchell's point - I just don't agree with it. I think a fantastic kicker missing a chip-shot field goal to win at the end of regulation means a lot more than missing a normal field goal attempt during the course of regulation. It is all perception as he stated, but when I left CAS on Saturday I felt like I had just witnessed our team pull off one of the biggest bank heists in history. While we played well, based on what happened at the end I felt like we stole it from UNI.

Comment

Working...
                                X