X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Year

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
    Honestly, it's time to start planning ahead to next year. There are no playoffs to make with our resume this year. It's a shame Zach Zenner may only make the playoffs once or twice in his career. On the plus side, our offense and defense can hopefully find a way to improve and get better. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get to put the indoor practice facility to use in preparing for playoff games... Maybe one year we can make consecutive playoff appearances, because those hopes appear to be long gone now.

Post your thoughts here....
    Understand but its really a shame that our seniors won't get another shot...

Comment

Isn't that the nice thing about being fans we can cheer for now and talk about the future which is a huge part of what this board does. I'm going to be at the last 2 home games cheering for my jacks but I'm going in with different expectation. I truly gave the team the benefit of the doubt early this year when others were freaked about about the sela and und games. We were leading at nebreaska and zenner had 200 yards on um. We aren't a bad team or bad players but this team failed to live up to expectations. I don't think as a fan there is anything wrong with pointing that out for this year or the prospect of how difficult next year might be. Maybe we will have some underclassmen who work there butts of and are ready to shine next year. At least I would hope they are.

I don't know if some people have a problem with my point of view but I garuntee I am not the only one who is bummed out by a team and coaches who clearly are getting better or fixing mistakes. I watched the msu game and we were hanging our heads and horrible body laungue. Traveras had 1 big penalty 1 should have been and missed a huge coverage assignment unless a safety was suppose to cover over the top.

I was thinking 9 wins were possible this year 8 most likely and 7 or less a disapointment. Right now if we end with a winning record I will be surprised.

We are 4-5 our last 9 games with 2 losses to ndsu and 1 neb and siu and msu. We beat a ok sela and und team and beat a bad wiu and butler team. Maybe I need to just keep perspective that we are just a .500 team with an occasional year we do better.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        How much change in the staff do you think there will be? we have lost at least 1 person for the last couple of years.
        Eidness is the same guy he was last year. Unfortunately, I'm sure the Head Coach will soon be on the hot seat if the losing continues. Coordinators are sacrificed by Head Coaches through out big time college football. Stig needs to start winning for job security. I'd say if this seasons trends continue into next year, Stig will be in trouble. I think Stig has pressure from the administration now. SDSU is going all out for a first class program. It comes down from the AD and the President. They won't stand for losing.

That being said - this year isn't over!!! C'mon.... the Jacks don't need any band wagon fans goon. Jack JD posted an outstanding post. He is dead on. Winning cures all ills for sure. Lets see the character of the Jacks come through. Just win baby.

Goon did have me rolling laughing with the Meadow's red hat club reference. He is right, Meadow's hated red so bad that the kids whose High School colors were red had to watch out. How is Luke Meadows doing? Is he still coaching down in Florida? His wife and kids were some of the Jacks' greatest fans too.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
          Eidness is the same guy he was last year. Unfortunately, I'm sure the Head Coach will soon be on the hot seat if the losing continues. Coordinators are sacrificed by Head Coaches through out big time college football. Stig needs to start winning for job security. I'd say if this seasons trends continue into next year, Stig will be in trouble. I think Stig has pressure from the administration now. SDSU is going all out for a first class program. It comes down from the AD and the President. They won't stand for losing.

That being said - this year isn't over!!! C'mon.... the Jacks don't need any band wagon fans goon. Jack JD posted an outstanding post. He is dead on. Winning cures all ills for sure. Lets see the character of the Jacks come through. Just win baby.

Goon did have me rolling laughing with the Meadow's red hat club reference. He is right, Meadow's hated red so bad that the kids whose High School colors were red had to watch out. How is Luke Meadows doing? Is he still coaching down in Florida? His wife and kids were some of the Jacks' greatest fans too.
          I dont think Stig should be on the hot seat since he got us a playoff victory last year and probably could have had 1 or 2 more had we not had the bizons in round 2. but that being said the cordinators need to get things figured out. Stig needs to hold them all accountable.

Dont worry about me, I havent given up on the team, I will be there to cheer them saturday. It just seems they arent playing fired up. I think the Neb loss took a lot of wind out of their sails and a crushing tough loss to NDSU didnt help either. But there are clearly issues that need to be addressed with the team, play execution, mental mistakes, etc. I said earlier the only fix we have seen is putting Butler and Scheinder back in punt return which appears to be a much much better move.

I agree with JackJD on the game should be a huge game and I would expect to see great effort from both teams, however after the lack of emotion or what ever it was this last game gave me little hope we will be ready for it. As a fan i will be there rain or shine and this game should draw 14k atleast IMHO but will probably draw 8-10K is my guess.

I guess I dont see anything wrong with pointing out we have serious issues and it doesnt appear much has been done to address them.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Goon - For some reason, I think a lot of people in South Dakota give Stig a pass. Yes he is a great guy. Yes he is a father to the players. But he needs to be judged more on his football acumen. I guarantee you that if these problems keep up, Stig is on the hot seat. You don't build a new stadium and not have the Administration have expectations. And usually, the AD's want their own guy as football coach. Stig is not the AD's guy. Just saying.

The items you mention come down on the head coach, not the coordinators. Execution, mental mistakes, not correcting problems, that is on the head coach to fix. You don't think that Craig Bohl doesn't address his coordinators issues?

You also say we have serious issues and it doesn't appear much has been done to address them. That falls directly on the Head Coach, not the coordinator.

Did Stig even play D1 college football?

I say put him on the hot seat this year. Get Stig to get the team to 1-0 every week and see how this season plays out. Don't give up on the Jacks. Stig can prove his worth with winning. I don't see him in trouble yet, but like I said elsewhere, he probably will sacrifice a coordinator to save his own job for next year. It is just how it works in big time football.

Comment

I'll guess 5000...our fair-weather fan-base is a problem...and it's a huge percentage of our fan-base.
              Another thing...our administration has to start counting tickets sold like everyone else...perception is reality...especially when you're spending $100m on football facilities.
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Football can be weird.

Perspective:

Appalachian State Mountaineers...1-6 after this weekend's loss to Furman.
                U of North Dakota ... 2-5 (remember those guys from D-2 days?)
                Purdue...1-6 after this weekend's 14-0 loss to Michigan State.
                Northern Iowa, with nice wins against McNeese (now 6-1) and Iowa State (okay, maybe not so good -- 1-5 including this past weekend's assault and battery loss of 71-7 to Baylor)

And how about this one: South Dakota 4-3 after winning 1 game last year. 3-1 in the MVFC. Guys, we'll be going to the DakotaDome as the underdogs.

Repeating Stig's mantra, 1-0 this weekend, may be the only way to maintain's one's fan-sanity this year.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Football can be weird.

Perspective:

Appalachian State Mountaineers...1-6 after this weekend's loss to Furman.
                  U of North Dakota ... 2-5 (remember those guys from D-2 days?)
                  Purdue...1-6 after this weekend's 14-0 loss to Michigan State.
                  Northern Iowa, with nice wins against McNeese (now 6-1) and Iowa State (okay, maybe not so good -- 1-5 including this past weekend's assault and battery loss of 71-7 to Baylor)

And how about this one: South Dakota 4-3 after winning 1 game last year. 3-1 in the MVFC. Guys, we'll be going to the DakotaDome as the underdogs.

Repeating Stig's mantra, 1-0 this weekend, may be the only way to maintain's one's fan-sanity this year.
                  I just saw a thread on Panther Nation that said UNI has 18 players that have missed extended game action due to injury.

As far as USD,i'm not convinced. They have a brutal schedule the last 5 games.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                    I just saw a thread on Panther Nation that said UNI has 18 players that have missed extended game action due to injury.

USD really has a hard strech but they have confidence, and made a change and QB seems to be paying off. Any time you go into the unidome and get a win is a big win. Something we havent done yet. We have that same team next week who will not be easy to beat. I know its apples to oragnes and everygame is different but we will really see where we are after the UNI game. hopefully 1-0, but i have my doubts.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      USD really has a hard strech but they have confidence, and made a change and QB seems to be paying off. Any time you go into the unidome and get a win is a big win. Something we havent done yet. We have that same team next week who will not be easy to beat. I know its apples to oragnes and everygame is different but we will really see where we are after the UNI game. hopefully 1-0, but i have my doubts.
                      I agree it appears they have found a QB. I just think they squeaked by a beat up,demoralized team that overlooked the yotes.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                        I'll guess 5000...our fair-weather fan-base is a problem...and it's a huge percentage of our fan-base.
                        Another thing...our administration has to start counting tickets sold like everyone else...perception is reality...especially when you're spending $100m on football facilities.
                        Agree, 5-7K. I am not able to be one of them, Chicago for meetings. The Yankton group with be there. Its a big game, fans should be very disappointed but we need to hang in there. JD has it right. I need to see more from the experienced guys, especially Austin Sumner.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post

i just notice i put this in the wrong thread,meant to put it in the "injuries" one. Sorry.

Comment

Goon - For some reason, I think a lot of people in South Dakota give Stig a pass. Yes he is a great guy. Yes he is a father to the players. But he needs to be judged more on his football acumen. I guarantee you that if these problems keep up, Stig is on the hot seat. You don't build a new stadium and not have the Administration have expectations. And usually, the AD's want their own guy as football coach. Stig is not the AD's guy. Just saying.

The items you mention come down on the head coach, not the coordinators. Execution, mental mistakes, not correcting problems, that is on the head coach to fix. You don't think that Craig Bohl doesn't address his coordinators issues?

You also say we have serious issues and it doesn't appear much has been done to address them. That falls directly on the Head Coach, not the coordinator.

Did Stig even play D1 college football?

I say put him on the hot seat this year. Get Stig to get the team to 1-0 every week and see how this season plays out. Don't give up on the Jacks. Stig can prove his worth with winning. I don't see him in trouble yet, but like I said elsewhere, he probably will sacrifice a coordinator to save his own job for next year. It is just how it works in big time football.
                            80% of FCS teams would be ecstatic to have the success SDSU has had for the last 5 years. 31-24 in the last 5 years, including 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win. 22-14 against the MVFC. For comparison's sake, back to back national champion NDSU is 25-12 against the MVFC during the same stretch.

The list of DI football coaches who never played is looooong. Jimbo Fischer and Brian Kelley are a couply you may have heard of. Former NFL head coach Todd Haley never played a down of organized football (he golfed in college).

Your post is at least 12 months early, assuming we are worse next year. IMO, no matter what happens, Stig is coach until we get into the new stadium unless things really go south. Then if the team isn't up to snuff, he will "retire" with appreciation for what he accomplished in his career.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

[QUOTE=SF_Rabbit_Fan;237344]80% of FCS teams would be ecstatic to have the success SDSU has had for the last 5 years. 31-24 in the last 5 years, including 2 playoff appearances and 1 playoff win. 22-14 against the MVFC. For comparison's sake, back to back national champion NDSU is 25-12 against the MVFC during the same stretch.

The list of DI football coaches who never played is looooong. Jimbo Fischer and Brian Kelley are a couply you may have heard of. Former NFL head coach Todd Haley never played a down of organized football (he golfed in college).

Your doing a great job of proving my point that people in South Dakota give Stig a pass.

You are Ok with a slightly above .500 record and a couple of playoff appearances? Try to dream big. If NDSU can win championships, SDSU can too. I remember 5 years ago when SDSU was beating NDSU.

What is wrong with demanding that Stig win now, this year, in the present? Lets look at his weapons - Young proven QB with a ton of previous awards, one of the best RB in the FCS and BCS, large, veteran O-line. Ok defense. That is a winning group. It is his job to get them to win.

When you are ranked #6 to begin the year, you either live up to your rankings or you don't. Right now they are 25th. I'm not sure how but they are.

2009 was a while ago. After such a great year last year, returning so many players, how do you justify them falling on their faces Saturday?

I didn't say fire Stig. I just said put him on the hot seat. Pressure is good in sports. I'm hoping Stig turns this around starting Saturday.

And yes - I agree with you. Stig will never be fired. He would gracefully retire. And yes Stig has been a good coach, but I'm with the Administration. I want a National Championship.

At least Jimbo Fischer and Brian Kelley played college football.

Comment

Your doing a great job of proving my point that people in South Dakota give Stig a pass.

You are Ok with a slightly above .500 record and a couple of playoff appearances? Try to dream big. If NDSU can win championships, SDSU can too. I remember 5 years ago when SDSU was beating NDSU.

What is wrong with demanding that Stig win now, this year, in the present? Lets look at his weapons - Young proven QB with a ton of previous awards, one of the best RB in the FCS and BCS, large, veteran O-line. Ok defense. That is a winning group. It is his job to get them to win.

When you are ranked #6 to begin the year, you either live up to your rankings or you don't. Right now they are 25th. I'm not sure how but they are.

2009 was a while ago. After such a great year last year, returning so many players, how do you justify them falling on their faces Saturday?

I didn't say fire Stig. I just said put him on the hot seat. Pressure is good in sports. I'm hoping Stig turns this around starting Saturday.

And yes - I agree with you. Stig will never be fired. He would gracefully retire. And yes Stig has been a good coach, but I'm with the Administration. I want a National Championship.

At least Jimbo Fischer and Brian Kelley played college football.
                                I don't think its giving him a pass. SDSU has accomplished more than 80% of FCS since joining, like it or not. Obviously championships are the goal, but to insinuate he should be on the hot seat is silly, IMO.

5 years ago, any good team could (and did) beat NDSU. Today the best teams in the nation can't.

Our perception and mindset are altered living next to Fargo. Not necessarily a bad thing, but putting a successful coach on the hot seat would be very reactionary. A reactionary Athletic Director could have fired Craig Bohl after 2009. I would prefer not to have a reactionary Athletic Director.

As I hinted at before, I will probably agree with you if we are having the same conversation this time next year.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X