X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next Year

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    I read a piece on Grantland today talking about Art Briles, the head coach at Baylor. It's a great piece (here's the link for those interested) and it talks about the offense that Baylor runs and how innovative Briles has been as a coach. One particular passage kind of hit home for me as a Jacks fan:

Sums us up almost perfectly. It seems like we do these things (pistol, the flash) that are trendy at the time just to do them and we don't actually do anything new or special out of them.
    Yeah its like we run the pistol to run it for no reason. Might as well have him line up under center and have him and ZZ lined up closer to the line, maybe ZZ could bust through some gaps before linebacks could have a chance to fill those spots.

Thats why we should line the flash up with Jones since he was a HS QB and let him throw it out of it, or run have gandy and ZZ in split backfield just like Konieg and Minnet use to run. Just giving different formations doesnt do anything if you dont utilize them. if ZZ and Gandy are both split in the backfield, it could go either way left or right, or a lead blocker or a play action one way and pass out the weak side etc. in that one formation we hvae as many options for plays as we do with the 7 plays we run now. just my 2 cents.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      I read a piece on Grantland today talking about Art Briles, the head coach at Baylor. It's a great piece (here's the link for those interested) and it talks about the offense that Baylor runs and how innovative Briles has been as a coach. One particular passage kind of hit home for me as a Jacks fan:

Sums us up almost perfectly. It seems like we do these things (pistol, the flash) that are trendy at the time just to do them and we don't actually do anything new or special out of them.

Football is like it is for a shark,unless you're constantly moving forward ,you die.Being stuck in the past is stopping forward momentum in my book.Playing the same way year in and year out,is just begging for people to adapt to it.The type of coach i see doing it,i visualize as old school,had some success early,and thus refuses to deviate from that which brought him success,no matter how well everyone he plays has adapted and prepares for what they know is comming.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        Football is like it is for a shark,unless you're constantly moving forward ,you die.Being stuck in the past is stopping forward momentum in my book.Playing the same way year in and year out,is just begging for people to adapt to it.The type of coach i see doing it,i visualize as old school,had some success early,and thus refuses to deviate from that which brought him success,no matter how well everyone he plays has adapted and prepares for what they know is comming.
        Don't jump the shark!

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          I understand the potential impact new facilities will have on recruiting (although it made no difference to Marlette), but won't it be the same exact fan base sitting in the seats in the new stadium? I don't see how a new stadium changes our culture, per-se.
          My main point was that its the program that us fans follow that matters most. If they're diehards, then the fan base will follow accordingly. CAS just kind of shows that the football program can't be to all in with what they're doing. ... Apparently they are getting jacked up though.

Comment

I think it is time to kill this thread and quit thinking about next year. Anytime you beat Northern Iowa, it is a quality win. A W is a W in this conferance. Great time for the Jacks to make a 4 game run to end the year with a winning streak. Dare I say it, but it is almost time to whisper "Playoffs..." - but 1-0 the rest of the year - Playoffs!!!

Isn't it amazing how the Jacks have no receivers, but Schnieder was leading the Conference in catches and to this threads shock - Hubert is the Valley's player of the week. Suddenly the Jacks have receivers?

Give the coaches credit, they made adjustments. Langer sure has the pedigree.

The team should gain some confidence and build off of this.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post
              I think it is time to kill this thread and quit thinking about next year. Anytime you beat Northern Iowa, it is a quality win. A W is a W in this conferance. Great time for the Jacks to make a 4 game run to end the year with a winning streak. Dare I say it, but it is almost time to whisper "Playoffs..." - but 1-0 the rest of the year - Playoffs!!!

Isn't it amazing how the Jacks have no receivers, but Schnieder was leading the Conference in catches and to this threads shock - Hubert is the Valley's player of the week. Suddenly the Jacks have receivers?

This ^ coming from the same poster who wanted Stig put on the hot seat less than 1 week ago.

Comment

Originally posted by shot_5533 View Post

I don't think I've ever said we "don't have receivers," more so that the receivers we have can't get separation against decent bump and run coverage. Also, without having a speed threat it allows defenses to sit on the short outs and crowd the middle of the field.

Beating a bad UNI team is good, but don't forget that USD beat them at home so take this quality win with a grain of salt. There are lots of good things that this team is doing, but don't let that sugarcoat some of of the shortcomings.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Whether we have receivers or not, is not the point. We won Saturday and this means we are still in the playoff picture. One more stub of the toe and we are out plain and simple. Then we start taking next year. I think our receives especially Schnieder and Hubert have shown they are as good as anyone in the league. Wesley, who has the wheels, needs a dose of confidence and we will see some great plays. I think we will be okay, to steal Filberts signature.

Comment

I am sick of u people banging on the receivers. It's the flippn play-calling and has been for the past few years!!!!! When is the last time we have seen a boot, when is the last time u have seen us throw down the field? I could go on and on and on and on

Comment

Originally posted by TailGatr View Post
                      I am sick of u people banging on the receivers. It's the flippn play-calling and has been for the past few years!!!!! When is the last time we have seen a boot, when is the last time u have seen us throw down the field? I could go on and on and on and on

We have certainly had better receivers - specifically ones with speed. But, Tief, Schneider, Hubert are good posession rec'rs. I do like your suggestion about a QB boot. If you watch he running plays Ausin could easily fake the hand off and pickup quality yards. Show it now and than to keep the other defense honest. Go 3 - 0 and we are in the playoffs.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        I don't think I've ever said we "don't have receivers," more so that the receivers we have can't get separation against decent bump and run coverage. Also, without having a speed threat it allows defenses to sit on the short outs and crowd the middle of the field.

Beating a bad UNI team is good, but don't forget that USD beat them at home so take this quality win with a grain of salt. There are lots of good things that this team is doing, but don't let that sugarcoat some of of the shortcomings.
                        How do you figure UNI is a bad team? They beat Iowa St, killed a 7-1 Mcneese St team, lost late to number one NDSU and lost in OT to us, So Ill and USD. This is a tough conference. There isnt an easy game on the schedule. Theyre better than a lot of teams that will make the playoffs. Theyre just finding ways to lose but i wouldnt say they are a bad team. Funny how, even with a win, someone finds a way to downplay the win.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                          How do you figure UNI is a bad team? They beat Iowa St, killed a 7-1 Mcneese St team, lost late to number one NDSU and lost in OT to us, So Ill and USD. This is a tough conference. There isnt an easy game on the schedule. Theyre better than a lot of teams that will make the playoffs. Theyre just finding ways to lose but i wouldnt say they are a bad team. Funny how, even with a win, someone finds a way to downplay the win.
                          A bad UNI team. In other words they have a high standard relatively. I thought it was an accurate analysis.

This season has been crazy on me, I have no idea what to expect the rest of the way.. I like to think we will easily handle Indy State and beat the Yotes. Then Youngstown is a doozy. It is now more interesting though.

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                            We have certainly had better receivers - specifically ones with speed. But, Tief, Schneider, Hubert are good posession rec'rs. I do like your suggestion about a QB boot. If you watch he running plays Ausin could easily fake the hand off and pickup quality yards. Show it now and than to keep the other defense honest. Go 3 - 0 and we are in the playoffs.

GBGBGJ
                            I was secretly thinking Austin could run and get yards if he took off at the right time,even with his speed ,just waitng to see if someone else thought the same thing.Like the naked boot
                            once or twice a game, if they clear out one side of the field for him.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                              They are like Youngstown was last year if i remember right, they started great and just tanked for loosing games that seemed more then winnable. Lets face it, its not like he manhandled um, as much as we made plays to win, UNI had to miss plays for us to win also. A FG and 3 open WRs which 1 of those 4 happens we dont win.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                They are like Youngstown was last year if i remember right, they started great and just tanked for loosing games that seemed more then winnable. Lets face it, its not like he manhandled um, as much as we made plays to win, UNI had to miss plays for us to win also. A FG and 3 open WRs which 1 of those 4 happens we dont win.
                                Now I remember the double OT.
                                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                                X