Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kansas in 2012

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Charlie Weis is built for the NFL, not college.

A college athlete is also a student, so the time you get to spend with them as a coach is much less than someone who is paid to do nothing other than play football. Weis used up too much of this time trying to teach the kids the scheme, and not enough on developing their fundamentals, technique, and execution.

Also, to say he doesn't have anything to do with player development on the defense end is crazy. As a head coach he hires the coordinators/position coaches and he manages the practices.

Here is a good article about the differences between Brian Kelly and Charlie Weis when the coaching change was made:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ish/index.html

Unless Charlie learned from his mistakes (which I doubt this being how arrogant he is), Kansas made a horrible hire.
    What he said.

Golden Tate was stellar in college because all he did was run drag patterns and go routes, since he's been in the NFL, they've had to actually teach him how to run routes. Not something that should be done in the NFL.*

*He was converted from running back to wide receiver in college so his route running abilities was already non-existent and the offensive guru and his schematic advantage didn't teach him crap.

Comment

His fingers covered in Super Bowl rings is going to get a lot of recruits attention. You can rip on his Notre Dame experience all you want, but the academic standards just got lower for him and the potential to recruit went through the roof. I'd be more than excited if I was a Kansas fan. Will he be able to scale back his NFLness enough to successfully implement a system into college? He can't do any worse than Callahan did at Nebraska.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
        His fingers covered in Super Bowl rings is going to get a lot of recruits attention. You can rip on his Notre Dame experience all you want, but the academic standards just got lower for him and the potential to recruit went through the roof. I'd be more than excited if I was a Kansas fan. Will he be able to scale back his NFLness enough to successfully implement a system into college? He can't do any worse than Callahan did at Nebraska.
        Charlie Weis was able to recruit plenty of talent to Notre Dame, regardless of the schools academic standards.

Here are Scout.com's rankings of his recruiting classes while at ND compared to the rest of college football:

2005: #27
        2006: #5
        2007: #11
        2008: #2

Charlie can flash those rings all he wants, but unless he changes his ways, he is just going to have physically gifted players with an underdeveloped understanding of how to play football.
        Last edited by Kemo; 12-09-2011, 04:02 PM.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
          He can't do any worse than Callahan did at Nebraska.
          Well....I guess that bodes pretty good for us then.
          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            Charlie Weis was able to recruit plenty of talent to Notre Dame, regardless of the schools academic standards.

Here are Scout.com's rankings of his recruiting classes while at ND compared to the rest of college football:

2005: #27
            2006: #5
            2007: #11
            2008: #2

Charlie can flash those rings all he wants, but unless he changes his ways, he is just going to physically gifted players with an underdeveloped understanding of how to play football.
            How did that #27, #5, #11 and #2 recruiting rankings work out for Charlie? It is well known in recruiting circles that all of Notre Dame's recruiting classes are rated higher than they actually are because it sells subscriptions and magazines.
            Charlie's recruiting power has slipped significantly, and any coach worth a crap can beat any pitch he has. Not one player in all his vaunted recruiting classes is of any significance in the NFL. Weis is a NFL guy, which was proven again this year at Florida, where that offense was woeful. I personally think Kansas whiffed on this pick and would have done better if they went with a Phil Fulmer.

All I care about it that next year, we get to play a team with sub-par talent, that is built for Turner Gill's offense, with a coach who doesn't actually know how to coach college kids.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
              How did that #27, #5, #11 and #2 recruiting rankings work out for Charlie? It is well known in recruiting circles that all of Notre Dame's recruiting classes are rated higher than they actually are because it sells subscriptions and magazines.
              Charlie's recruiting power has slipped significantly, and any coach worth a crap can beat any pitch he has. Not one player in all his vaunted recruiting classes is of any significance in the NFL. Weis is a NFL guy, which was proven again this year at Florida, where that offense was woeful. I personally think Kansas whiffed on this pick and would have done better if they went with a Phil Fulmer.

All I care about it that next year, we get to play a team with sub-par talent, that is built for Turner Gill's offense, with a coach who doesn't actually know how to coach college kids.
              While all that is most likely true, I have no doubt he will have more success than Turner Gill. None whatsoever.
              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post

The problem wasn't getting the talent to South Bend, it was doing something with it. Yes, Notre Dame's recruiting classes are usually ranked higher for the reason you mentioned but he got plenty of talent there. He recruited the No. 1 QB in Jimmy Claussen one year and had a No. 1 QB in Dayne Crist the following year until Pryor excelled in his senior season and bumped Crist from the top spot.

He was also able to get Michael Floyd and Manti Te'o. The guy can recruit, just doesn't know how to make the kids better once he has them.

I have a feeling at least one of his the players he recruited will have a significant in the NFL in the next year or two. Actually, it will probably be two in Floyd and Te'o.

Comment

I'd argue that he can make people better when they get there, at least on offense, he made Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen look good. He had good offenses, good offensive lines. The problem was defense and his attitude. He was not a guy cut out to coach at a place where not only is the local media there every day but the national media is there. I think at Kansas he will do alright, he won't have all the pressure he had at ND, I think he will get a good DC and will be able to recruit.

Did Turner Gill recruit well? I'm just wondering what type of talent Kansas has.

Comment

the interview;

the press "how do you feel about Lawrence. Kansas?
                    charlie weiss "who's he?"
                    press "not he, where."
                    weiss " wheres he"
                    press "Kansas"
                    weiss "what's he doing in Kansas?'
                    press "he's not in Kansas, it's in Kansas"
                    weiss "whats in Kansas?"
                    press "Lawrence"
                    weiss "I know he's in Kansas but why is he in Kansas?"

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      I'd argue that he can make people better when they get there, at least on offense, he made Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen look good. He had good offenses, good offensive lines. The problem was defense and his attitude. He was not a guy cut out to coach at a place where not only is the local media there every day but the national media is there. I think at Kansas he will do alright, he won't have all the pressure he had at ND, I think he will get a good DC and will be able to recruit.

Did Turner Gill recruit well? I'm just wondering what type of talent Kansas has.
                      Turner recruited a lot of athletic guys in the last two years, mostly at skill positions from what I can gather. There is an excellent stable of running backs and other skill players. The QB, Jordan Webb, is not good. That's why there is some talk of Dayne Crist. Additionally, KU's defense sucks. There will have to be wholesale changes there for KU to have any success in the Big 12. You don't have to shut opponents out in the Big 12 but you sure need to at least slow them down some. KU's offense will be fine. The defense? TBD.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

His offensive lines were absolutely terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                          the interview;

the press "how do you feel about Lawrence. Kansas?
                          charlie weiss "who's he?"
                          press "not he, where."
                          weiss " wheres he"
                          press "Kansas"
                          weiss "what's he doing in Kansas?'
                          press "he's not in Kansas, it's in Kansas"
                          weiss "whats in Kansas?"
                          press "Lawrence"
                          weiss "I know he's in Kansas but why is he in Kansas?"
                          If I knew how to give rep points.....I think you'd get some. That's a nice riff off of Abbott and Costello
                          With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Former Notre Dame starting quarterback Dayne Crist is transferring to Kansas. It the Jacks can get a pick or cause some mistakes early, Crist should get rattled. Saw that too often as an Irish fan

Comment

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...er-to-kansas/1

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                                Former Notre Dame starting quarterback Dayne Crist is transferring to Kansas. It the Jacks can get a pick or cause some mistakes early, Crist should get rattled. Saw that too often as an Irish fan
                                I think his big problem at Notre Dame was his knees. It seemed like his picks were because he couldn't follow through and then he'd start thinking about his knees and then he would struggle. He couldn't run Kelly's offense either, and I don't know if him and Floyd saw eye to eye as well. I just think it was a bad fit all around.

Ultimately I think he is the type of QB that fits Charlie's system, and I think if he is healthy he will have a really good year. I'd make him leave the pocket, because that is where he struggled.

Comment

Working...
                                X