Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League to Visit USD

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    they said that the Summit League has been contacted by 6-7 teams that have shown interest..

Here is what I have
    USD
    UND
    Utah Valley University or whatever they are called
    University of Texas Pan America (I think thats what it is called)
    Chicago State

who else?
    Houston Baptist
    Denver(maybe)

I agree with Sec310 that the WCC would take Seattle long before Denver, but that doesn't mean that Denver doesn't want in. It's like us and the Valley; we(NDSU/SDSU) would love to get in, but the Valley is unlikely to want us anytime soon. I put Denver near the bottom of the possibilities for the Summit because I can't imagine Denver "stooping" to our level. I think they'd rather be independent than associate with us. Heck, their basketball program stinks bad enough that it's not like they'd be contending for an autobid anyway. But, who knows, stranger things have happened.

LA Tech is an interesting possibility. I can't imagine they's consider the Summit even if they were encouraged to leave the WAC, but, again, stranger things...

I also agree with Sec310 about SUU. I don't think they'll get a Big Sky invite, but some things have changed. When SUU made their last big push for membership, their football program was a joke and their sports profile didn't match up. Since then, SUU has added sports to match the Big Sky(volleyball and ???) and brought their football team up to a respectable level. Will it be enough to turn the Big Sky's head? Who knows?

Comment

Of the schools that have contacted the Summit League office only one has had a site visit and I don't think any other site visits are scheduled right now. Unless the noted some major deficiencies I think we'll be inviting USD to join the conference sometime this spring/summer. Not sure if the would begin conference play this fall or in 2010.

Douple seemed pretty positive when discussing USD's chances of being offered.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

you still need to add another team with them.... So my guess is either they are working with someone that is in a conference like a Denver and the school doesn't want to publicize everything to jeopardize there existing conference agreement if something was to fall through... Or they are expecting an existing program to leave the conference...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          Houston Baptist
          Denver(maybe)

I agree with Sec310 that the WCC would take Seattle long before Denver, but that doesn't mean that Denver doesn't want in. It's like us and the Valley; we(NDSU/SDSU) would love to get in, but the Valley is unlikely to want us anytime soon. I put Denver near the bottom of the possibilities for the Summit because I can't imagine Denver "stooping" to our level. I think they'd rather be independent than associate with us. Heck, their basketball program stinks bad enough that it's not like they'd be contending for an autobid anyway. But, who knows, stranger things have happened.

LA Tech is an interesting possibility. I can't imagine they's consider the Summit even if they were encouraged to leave the WAC, but, again, stranger things...

I also agree with Sec310 about SUU. I don't think they'll get a Big Sky invite, but some things have changed. When SUU made their last big push for membership, their football program was a joke and their sports profile didn't match up. Since then, SUU has added sports to match the Big Sky(volleyball and ???) and brought their football team up to a respectable level. Will it be enough to turn the Big Sky's head? Who knows?
          Denver would join the Summit in a second over being an indy, no way they would punish their student athletes and coaches like that. They would probably join with the conidtion that if the WCC ever offered the could leave without penalty. With that said, they could very well work through their problems with the Sun Belt if they really don't want to face that possbility.

I think the only thing we have to entice them to come here is the fact that they would be with three state flagships and if UND is brought in they would have some familarity since they are hockey rivals.

Comment

I think the next round of conference realignment will come when the BCS mandates all BCS conferences to either, have a 12 team, 2 division format with a championship game or have a 10 team conference, with a team playing the other 9 teams, just like the Pac-10.

Of course the 12 team, 2 division format makes the most money for conferences so, the will go that route.

The Big 10, Pac-10 and Big East will need to add teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post
              I think the next round of conference realignment will come when the BCS mandates all BCS conferences to either, have a 12 team, 2 division format with a championship game or have a 10 team conference, with a team playing the other 9 teams, just like the Pac-10.

Of course the 12 team, 2 division format makes the most money for conferences so, the will go that route.

Doesn't the Big East have 16 teams?

Comment

Doesn't the Big East have 16 teams?
                Yeah. But it has only 8 football-playing schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post

why does the big east need more teams? they already have 16

Comment

sorry, joeboo beat me to it. notre dame needs to move to the big 10 for both sports

Comment

7 Schools contacted, 6 ignored suggests that Denver did not initiate contact. Why would Douple skip Denver?

So--my guess:

USD (got visited)
                      UND (we know they contacted the Summit)
                      -----
                      UTPA
                      Houston Baptist
                      UVU
                      NJIT
                      Chicago State

That's my guess: basically, everyone in the Great West wants to be in the Summit.

Comment

why don't we go after them then? Its a well established school, great for traveling with a large airport... they have decent programs but nothing impressive, great facilities.... I'd rather see the Summit go after some schools that are established, but somewhat shaky members of other conferences, rather then pick up from the Independents.... Maybe Denver is talking with the Big Sky... I really don't know....

Comment

why don't we go after them then? Its a well established school, great for traveling with a large airport... they have decent programs but nothing impressive, great facilities.... I'd rather see the Summit go after some schools that are established, but somewhat shaky members of other conferences, rather then pick up from the Independents.... Maybe Denver is talking with the Big Sky... I really don't know....
                          It's also possible everyone is waiting for the 'other shoe to drop'.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                            sorry, joeboo beat me to it. notre dame needs to move to the big 10 for both sports
                            Would the Big Ten have them, though?

And a word on the BCS 'forcing' conferences to do this or that:

The BCS is about one thing and one thing only: protecting the big bowl games for the big schools.

I don't think they have the teeth to force any conference to do anything. Force the Big Ten to take Notre Dame? Force the Big East to crap or get off the pot when it comes to their non-football schools?

Ffffft.

The BCS exists to perpetrate the ridiculously unsound bowl system. Period. End of story. That's all its administrators care about.

They don't care how the Big Ten determines its champion. What they care about is marginalizing the MWC, WAC, C-USA, MAC, and Sun Belt.

Comment

If the Summit adds a school from another conference like Denver I doubt it would be made very public. No visit would be made, it would just kind of happen.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                                If the Summit adds a school from another conference like Denver I doubt it would be made very public. No visit would be made, it would just kind of happen.
                                Actually, I think a visit would be made on the QT. But I agree, not much noise would be made about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X