X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League to Visit USD

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
    why does the big east need more teams? they already have 16
    As somebody else answered, the Big East has only 8 football playing schools. I also think the eight non football playing schools, almost all of them Catholic schools, will break away and form their own conference. There has been talk of this happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post
      As somebody else answered, the Big East has only 8 football playing schools. I also think the eight non football playing schools, almost all of them Catholic schools, will break away and form their own conference. There has been talk of this happening.
      That would be me.

There has been talk of a split in the Big East. For similar reasons why the WAC-16 went belly up.

Comment

Originally posted by OKC_Poke View Post
        That would be me.

There has been talk of a split in the Big East. For similar reasons why the WAC-16 went belly up.
        WAC-16 wasn't getting half of their teams into the Big Dance, though . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Good point. Plus, we could only get 2-3 schools into bowls then as well.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            But travel costs and just overall confusion, lead the MWC forming.

Comment

Originally posted by Sec310 View Post
              But travel costs and just overall confusion, lead the MWC forming.
              Loss of traditional rivalries within the conference, poor T.V. markets (most people in Texas didn't really care for Rice, SMU, nor TCU), nobody gave a flying leap about SJSU, I could go on until my head explodes but you all get the idea.

Comment

So a couple weeks or so ago, a lot of you guys were saying the rivalry was over. You guys pretty pissed about this? I'll make sure to throw out a rabbit or two at Frost, via the SDSU student section, in 2012.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

It took you 19 pages of posts to ask that question?
                  "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                  -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                    It took you 19 pages of posts to ask that question?
                    I was going to wait for 20, but decided not to.

On a more serious note though, a lot of people on here were of the opinion that they did not want the rivalry to continue under any circumstances. Looking through this thread, most of you guys have said that USD would/will be a solid addition to the Summit. Is it a change of heart, or are the anti-rivalry people just staying away from this thread?
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                      I was going to wait for 20, but decided not to.

On a more serious note though, a lot of people on here were of the opinion that they did not want the rivalry to continue under any circumstances. Looking through this thread, most of you guys have said that USD would/will be a solid addition to the Summit. Is it a change of heart, or are the anti-rivalry people just staying away from this thread?
                      I really do not think its about being anti anything USD or otherwise. If we speak of football, SDSU has done just fine without the rivilary. Right now the signals from Douple and visitation group seem to be very positive. So whether we play or dont play USD, is not something that creates ansomia for SDSU fans.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
                        So a couple weeks or so ago, a lot of you guys were saying the rivalry was over. You guys pretty pissed about this? I'll make sure to throw out a rabbit or two at Frost, via the SDSU student section, in 2012.

My only hope is if you do, there will be one less student at SDSU because you're expelled and you are required to pay the $10,000 fine that the Summit League will impose on the home school.
                        Yes, this "fine info" is from a good source. "The past" has been discussed at length with Tom Douple regarding the "antics" at past SDSU/USD games.

Congrats to USD for possibly getting their "one and only" game that matters to them back...I hope it makes their year for years to come.

Go Jacks!!
                        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I'm not opposed to playing anybody in our division. What I do oppose is playing in any game where the stupidity* of the fans makes bigger headlines than the game on the court. When the fans on both sides can agree to that, it will be time to play each other again.

*I am not referring to anybody specific with this comment, but if you are pretty sure I am referring to you, I probably am!
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                            Congrats to USD for possibly getting their "one and only" game that matters to them back...I hope it makes their year for years to come.

Go Jacks!!
                            Can I get an Allelujah and an Amen from the Congregation!!!

I understand USD being a great addition because of its academic standing but for the love of God, I hope it doesn't start the way it ended.

Oh, and I trust propar's source 100%. I don't know who it is (well let's be honest here, I probably do, right propar), but I have a sneaking suspicion his source might know what he is talking about.
                            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Well, since they took away our cowbells, I certainly hope the Summit takes away the rather less amusing aspects of the rivalry as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                                Well, since they took away our cowbells, I certainly hope the Summit takes away the rather less amusing aspects of the rivalry as well.
                                Thanks to KSFY I got a look at SDSU's home venue for the first time since I left Brookings forty-two years ago. I thought the crowd reaction for the NDSU game was roughly about the same as playing the Bison in basketball in the mid-sixties. The only problem was that at that time, NDSU was number 5 as a rival, after USD, Augie, SCI/UNI, and UND.

In watering down rivalries through controlling crowd behavior, the Summit certainly made Brookings a peaceful place to watch basketball. The crowd noise reminded me of Norman, Oklahoma when I was a student there in the late sixties in the John McLeod era (if you could call it that). The ability to hear shoe squeak because the student body is strangely silent bothers me.

Comment

Working...
                                X