Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League to Visit USD

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    Well, since they took away our cowbells, I certainly hope the Summit takes away the rather less amusing aspects of the rivalry as well.
    I always thought those things were annoying, but I thought it was BS that they got taken away. Pretty lame of them in my opinion since they are pretty harmless and also a tradition.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      Thanks to KSFY I got a look at SDSU's home venue for the first time since I left Brookings forty-two years ago. I thought the crowd reaction for the NDSU game was roughly about the same as playing the Bison in basketball in the mid-sixties. The only problem was that at that time, NDSU was number 5 as a rival, after USD, Augie, SCI/UNI, and UND.

In watering down rivalries through controlling crowd behavior, the Summit certainly made Brookings a peaceful place to watch basketball. The crowd noise reminded me of Norman, Oklahoma when I was a student there in the late sixties in the John McLeod era (if you could call it that). The ability to hear shoe squeak because the student body is strangely silent bothers me.
      The cowbells had pretty much died out in Frost Arena anyway by the time SDSU left the NCC. Maybe only a half-dozen folks regularly rang them, as I recall. There was a renaissance of sorts in the unregulated days of D-I independent status, which was fun.

What I'd like to see is something like the resurrection of the enormous Rooter King cowbell, which the cheerleaders could ring or beat on along with State Cadence (the "One, Two, Three, Four, Tell the people who you're for" chant).

(It would help them learn the rhythm necessary to successfully perform that cheer, as well--a pet peeve of mine--they start it TOO DARN SLOWLY! State Cadence should be snappy!)

How'd that soapbox get there under my feet? I'll get down now . . .
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think that it is inevitable and obvious that USD will ultimately be admitted to the Summit League. The real question is the time frame in which it will be accomplished. It would appear that the invitation/admission process for USD is pretty much in sync with USD's obligations to the Great West. Just as we Jackrabbit fans went through a period of enlightenment regarding the DI trasition (and are still in that period of enlightenment), USD and its fan base are in a similar period of enlightenment.

I used the word "obvious" in my opening sentence of this post. I used that word because USD and its supporters have had the wisdom to choose a good example to follow. At first, I think they were reluctant to admit that their example is, in fact, good and also to admit that they are following. Part of their enlightenment has been to admit our success. They are doing it much more freely now. Perhaps that is because our success is becoming more obvious, but also because time has softened their reluctance to accept and state what is fact. This editorial in The Volante is far more factual, and less inflammatory, than many things which I have read in the past:

http://www.volanteonline.com/opinion...eed_each_other
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObserver View Post
          I was going to wait for 20, but decided not to.

On a more serious note though, a lot of people on here were of the opinion that they did not want the rivalry to continue under any circumstances. Looking through this thread, most of you guys have said that USD would/will be a solid addition to the Summit. Is it a change of heart, or are the anti-rivalry people just staying away from this thread?
          You couldn't just contribute to the thread so your trying to stir the pot? Its not a change of heart, most of us see nothing good down south, but most still understand college athletics and more so confrence affiliations and tournemants are a business. I hate usd and most things associated with it but I would rather have USD in the summit then some other schools that have no connection to us. Most fans just want them to suffer a bit in transition like we did, but thats what we get for being proactive and paving the way. USD turned their noses as us and don't deny it. Now they are riding our coattails following like usual and we should help them out why? we suffered but made it on our own, so can they. Put on some yellow and blue glasses and then ask your self why should we extend them a hand. (and do not say to start the rivalry again)
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            The cowbells had pretty much died out in Frost Arena anyway by the time SDSU left the NCC. Maybe only a half-dozen folks regularly rang them, as I recall. There was a renaissance of sorts in the unregulated days of D-I independent status, which was fun.

What I'd like to see is something like the resurrection of the enormous Rooter King cowbell, which the cheerleaders could ring or beat on along with State Cadence (the "One, Two, Three, Four, Tell the people who you're for" chant).

(It would help them learn the rhythm necessary to successfully perform that cheer, as well--a pet peeve of mine--they start it TOO DARN SLOWLY! State Cadence should be snappy!)

How'd that soapbox get there under my feet? I'll get down now . . .
            And those darn kids with the loud music and riding their bike on my lawn and grumble grumble grumble......
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I think the view from most South Dakotans is that the teams should play each other but at the same time SDSU should be the one who chooses when because they went first, and they took a lot of heat for doing so. As far as conference though, I think anybody that has a brain would rather have the conference add a team in the region then Texas Pan America or Utah Valley University.... A 3 hour bus drive is a lil easier then flying to Las Vegas and bussing 3+hours to a Utah College at elevation in the middle of no where....

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                Thanks to KSFY I got a look at SDSU's home venue for the first time since I left Brookings forty-two years ago. I thought the crowd reaction for the NDSU game was roughly about the same as playing the Bison in basketball in the mid-sixties. The only problem was that at that time, NDSU was number 5 as a rival, after USD, Augie, SCI/UNI, and UND.

In watering down rivalries through controlling crowd behavior, the Summit certainly made Brookings a peaceful place to watch basketball. The crowd noise reminded me of Norman, Oklahoma when I was a student there in the late sixties in the John McLeod era (if you could call it that). The ability to hear shoe squeak because the student body is strangely silent bothers me.
                You've made several references to this since friday, GJ, I was at the mens game and believe it or not, the crowd was as loud Friday night as I'd ever heard it in the 90's, the mics must have not picked up the crowd at all. Anyone both go to the game and record the game and able to verify?
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                  You've made several references to this since friday, GJ, I was at the mens game and believe it or not, the crowd was as loud Friday night as I'd ever heard it in the 90's, the mics must have not picked up the crowd at all. Anyone both go to the game and record the game and able to verify?
                  I thought it was loud but I've been in Frost when it was much, much louder.
                  Originally posted by JackFan96
                  Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't think the place could get louder than it was during the WNIT games.

Comment

i agree that fridays nights crowd was as loud as its been since we've gone d1. i did record it and it was loud on tv at all.

Comment

I've been meaning to post the same thing RR...I do think the WNIT crowds might have been a little more boisterous, but I was EXTREMELY happy with the student crowds on both Friday and Saturday night. They were much better than they have been earlier this year, and that helped even excite the north side. Like Grizzled Jack, I've been around for a long time (38 years since I came back...and years before that). The Barn was unbelieveably loud, but it contained the noise a lot better and was always jammed, with fewer in attendance than these days. Long post when I all I wanted to do was support RR's comments.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                          I've been meaning to post the same thing RR...I do think the WNIT crowds might have been a little more boisterous, but I was EXTREMELY happy with the student crowds on both Friday and Saturday night. They were much better than they have been earlier this year, and that helped even excite the north side. Like Grizzled Jack, I've been around for a long time (38 years since I came back...and years before that). The Barn was unbelieveably loud, but it contained the noise a lot better and was always jammed, with fewer in attendance than these days. Long post when I all I wanted to do was support RR's comments.
                          Yes, I'd agree that the WNIT games were louder....but still...Grizzled Jack made it out as if there was no crowd involvment at all....when in fact, it was quite loud.
                          Last edited by RowdyRabbit; 01-26-2009, 12:46 PM. Reason: edit - spelling.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I agree...WNIT was louder...but I was referring to the 90's, I was young in the 90's, so trying to remember back, fridays game seemed just as loud.

Comment

It was loud, as loud as it's been this year, but not even close to how loud or should I say "rowdy" for a game back in the 90's---especially one against USD or a postseason game.

Comment

"The Barn was unbelieveably loud, but it contained the noise a lot better and was always jammed, with fewer in attendance than these days."

I think a lot of it is the change of venue, along with fond memories of the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X