South Dakota to host Summit League Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: South Dakota to host Mid-Con Tourney .  . mayb

Here is Terry's article about SF's chance of hosting a tournament.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...706020330/1002

Will D-I work at Arena?
    Building has deficiencies, but Summit League likes city's enthusiasm for hoops tourneys

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: June 2, 2007

There are issues with the Sioux Falls Arena, commissioner Tom Douple said - as there are with any arena.

But what stood out most to Summit League representatives during a site visit to Sioux Falls, rather than the shortcomings of an aged venue, was the way the community seems to embrace the idea of hosting the conference's men's and women's basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010, that it would be front-page news in this comparatively small city.

That the Sioux Falls Sports Authority, one of the groups backing the bid, is open to the idea of potentially modifying an existing building in order to secure the NCAA Division I event is further proof of the commitment level.

"I think our community supporters last night were very clear with the entire (Summit) team that we're willing to identify what those needs are," said Kevin Lampe, chairman of Sioux Falls Sports Authority, the group that worked with the Convention and Visitors Bureau and South Dakota State to submit a bid, "and devise a plan to make sure we have it in place to have that positive student-athlete experience they want." . . . (read more)

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Looks like Terry is getting some insight about our friends down south.   ;D

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...40/1002/SPORTS

Misconceptions about Summit tourney are baffling

By Terry Vandrovec
      Published: June 7, 2007

I give up.

Normally, I take comments posted on message boards and feedback forums with a grain of salt, I really do, because how seriously can you treat anything written by somebody using a screen name like MCSTUDLY? (Not sure if that's Mc as in Donald's or MC as in Hammer). But this is too much.

A story in Saturday's Argus Leader detailing the Summit League's site visit to Sioux Falls generated 18 on-line postings, and at least half were utterly confounding.

Folks that believe hosting the Summit League men's and women's basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010 would be anything but good for this city should have their subscriptions revoked. OK, bad idea. Let's take away their birthdays, instead.

For the last time: The events would generate an estimated $2 million over the life of the contract and without costing any public money to acquire.

Apparently, some of you feel that Sioux Falls is somehow inferior to the "major cities" that did not bid to host, while others believe these "pretend" NCAA Division I tournaments to be beneath this community.

In terms of indoor athletic facilities, yes, Sioux Falls is substandard compared to many similarly sized cities including Fargo. Our flatter, colder neighbor to the north is looking into building an 8,000-seat arena onto the 20,000-seat Fargodome at the same time that a private group is beginning work on a $32-million hockey complex. But if you've been to other Division I communities, particularly in the South, you know that Sioux Falls stacks up well in terms of standard of living and amenities typical of college tournaments. It's big enough to have everything, but not big enough to bury a Big Dance qualifier on the back page.

Of course, Cyberspace contrarians argue the tournament belongs there. One poster, a self-proclaimed University of South Dakota supporter, tabbed the Summit League as "make believe" Division I basketball. It seems that, in addition to implying that Division II sports are somehow more real than everything outside the Bowl Championship Series, he (or she) is worried that South Dakota State and USD are taking away opportunities from South Dakota kids by moving to the Division I level.

Are the Jackrabbits landing fewer in-state student-athletes now than they were five years ago? Absolutely, and that trend will likely continue and spread to Vermillion. But the reader is missing the big picture. Like it or not, athletics are the front porch of a university. Pushing those programs onto the national scene is a way to gain the exposure that might allow a university located in a state that has a shrinking school-age population to continue to grow in enrollment and facilities. Aside from improving the student-athlete experience, this gives South Dakota's kids - and most are students, not student-athletes - access to a premiere education without leaving the state. Maybe some of the natives and the exports will be inclined to stay here.  .  .  .  (read more)

Go State!  

Comment

I just keep reading this article over, and over, and over, and over, and over!! ;D ;D ;D

Finally goldgoat(the USD fan TV is referring to) gets his! ;D ;D ;D

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Re: South Dakota to host Mid-Con Tourney .  .

Terry (The Incredible Hulk) Vandrovec.

"Don't get me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry." ;D
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: South Dakota to host Mid-Con Tourney .  .

Originally posted by filbert
            Terry (The Incredible Hulk) Vandrovec.

"Don't get me angry.  You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."   ;D

Terry need smash puny coyote fan! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Go State!

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...706130333/1002

City submits Summit proposal
              Plan addresses locker room needs

By Terry Vandrovec
              Published: June 13, 2007

Sioux Falls beat the clock, but it remains to be seen if its final attempt will find the mark.

Plans to address inadequacies inside the Arena were submitted to the Summit League office Monday, meaning Sioux Falls' proposal to host the men's and women's basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010 will be presented at the league's joint council meeting that begins today in Chicago.

The other finalist is Tulsa, Okla., which will host for the fourth year in a row in 2008 at the 4-year-old, $22 million Union Multipurpose Activity Center.

Earlier this month, six Summit League officials toured Sioux Falls and its Arena, built in 1961, and confirmed four major shortcomings: the quality and quantity of locker rooms for officials and players and the lack of a media room and a training room.

Since the site visit, the parties involved in Sioux Falls' bid - the Sioux Falls Sports Authority, the Convention and Visitors Bureau and South Dakota State - have worked with the league and an architect on options for upgrading, reconfiguring or remodeling within the building's existing space to meet the needs of the 16-team NCAA Division I tournament. . . . (read more)

Comment

It's amazing how you can get something like this and they want to change everything just to land it in Sioux Falls. But it's been good enough for the Skyforce, HS state tournaments, etc for a long time. My point is that it speaks highly of how much they want it and it's nothing but positive things for Sioux Falls and especially SDSU athletics. This would bring in a lot of support for SDSU (Especially if we pulled off a couple wins in the tournament)

Obviously a new arena might need to be in the works in the next 5-10 years (hopefully sooner) Maybe not a NEED but would be nice to have an upgrade for future activities.

Comment

No decision yet.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...PORTS/70614032

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Really this should be a no-brainer.  What better way for the Summit League to introduce itself to the Dakotas; then by holding the basketball tournaments in Sioux Falls?

Maybe I'm looking at this from the wrong point of view.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Terry V. has a little more to say on this topic on his BLOG.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Presidents Council meeting is today, June 25th, so I'm guessing we are going to hear some news either way on this issue in the next couple of days. Keep your fingers crossed that Sioux Falls gets this tournament!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack
                          Presidents Council meeting is today, June 25th, so I'm guessing we are going to hear some news either way on this issue in the next couple of days.  Keep your fingers crossed that Sioux Falls gets this tournament!
                          Getting the tourney would be big, but even the worst, not getting it has help the exposure for SDSU. Not getting it might give the City of Sioux Falls more time to get their facilities up to a more attractive level.

I think SF has a good chance though and that will do wonders for SF support towards SDSU. Am I correct in thinking that facility in Tulsa is not a big palace and no where near the quality of the Qwest center in Omaha?

Comment

Originally posted by Haldersham
                            [quote author=BTownJack link=1174649693/45#55 date=1182781862]Presidents Council meeting is today, June 25th, so I'm guessing we are going to hear some news either way on this issue in the next couple of days.  Keep your fingers crossed that Sioux Falls gets this tournament!
                            Getting the tourney would be big, but even the worst, not getting it has help the exposure for SDSU.  Not getting it might give the City of Sioux Falls more time to get their facilities up to a more attractive level.

I think SF has a good chance though and that will do wonders for SF support towards SDSU. Am I correct in thinking that facility in Tulsa is not a big palace and no where near the quality of the Qwest center in Omaha?[/quote]

I have not seen the John Q. Hammons Arena at Union Multipurpose Activity Center in Tulsa or Omaha's Qwest Center so it is hard to make any sort of judgement.  What I can tell you is that the UMAC is four years old, cost $22 million to build and the Arena seats 5,662.

http://umac.unionps.org/arena.htm

The Quest Center is much, much larger.  It seats 17,560 for basketball.  

http://www.qwestcenter.com/default.a...7&newsID=0

At the end of the day it is easy to see that while the John Q. is not as nice as the Qwest Center it is nicer then Sioux Falls Arena.  With that said I think Sioux Falls has the inside track, for although the Arena isn't as nice as John Q. in Tulsa it is good enough (with a little sprucing up), and I believe that the Summit League would like to see the tourney move around so that a competitive bidding process exists every two years (Tulsa is set to host 4 in a row in 2008).  I am very optimistic that Sioux Falls will receive the next bid.

Go State!  

Comment

I'm very optimistic we will get some good news today! The modifications that are needed at the Arena are long overdue. Let's hope momentum for a new facility will take place soon.

Comment

According to Terry V., a decision today is not eminent. The Presidents could extend the decision until they have given this issue further consideration. I know these Presidents usually take a long time to make a decision and therefore I'm not getting my hopes up too high today.

I do like Sioux Falls chances, but when you have to take into consideration all of the issues that need to be addressed, I afraid the Presidents will table the issue for another day.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                                X