Clear All

Re: South Dakota to host Summit League Tourney

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...NEWS/707070328

City considers chipping in on Arena
    Renovations ahead of Summit League tournaments to cost $150,000

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: July 7, 2007

The Sioux Falls Sports Authority says enough private money has been promised to pay for Arena improvements ahead of Summit League basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010, but some city officials think the public needs to contribute to the cause.

"The facility is a city property, so I think we do need to help out with the renovations because the building is showing its age," Mayor Dave Munson said of the Arena, open since 1961. "We'll work with them and the City Council because the council has to approve if we help pay for it."

Officials announced last week that Sioux Falls would be the site for the Summit League men's and women's basketball tournaments in 2009 and 2010.

During the process of bidding for the tournaments, projected to inject more than $2 million into the local economy, the Sioux Falls Sports Authority essentially secured enough nonbinding promises from the private sector to ensure that it could foot the bill for expanding and upgrading locker rooms and converting storage areas into usable space - estimated at $150,000 - without city money.

Paying for the upgrades is not on the agenda for the authority's Wednesday meeting, but when the specifics of bidding construction work and then paying for the project do come up, Munson will be in favor of the city helping with the costs.

So will De Knudson, a member of the City Council and the Sioux Falls Sports Authority.

"The city's budget is $296 million," Knudson said. "It really should not be that difficult to find $150,000 - in my opinion - to take care of this need." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Frankly, I'd like to see private donations get into this. The city gets involved, and you're going to deal with cost overruns and delays.

The only thing the city should do is say, "Make the renovations." And try and get a new building built.
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

The city pays for any of it it will be an even tougher task to get a new arena because you can add are tax dollars payed for a renovation to "its good enough for sioux falls" and "why do we need a new arena we just got the summit league tournament" "

Comment

Working...
        X