No announcement yet.

South Dakota to host Summit League Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: South Dakota to host Mid-Con Tourney .  .

Originally posted by HoboD
    [quote author=filbert link=1174649693/0#12 date=1174786832][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#11 date=1174785996]Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'.  What does that mean?  Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa.  Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town?  That seems disengenious.  
    "neutral" just means not the home arena of a Mid-Con team.  The Swiftel Center would, in theory, be a "neutral" site.[/quote]
    Thats kind of bogus if you think about it.  I mean the real issue is a big home town crowd really which is gonna happen just in an arena across town in Tulsa.[/quote]

The MidCon tournament is not going to be a big draw in Chicago, St. Louis, Indianoplis, etc.  Their best bet to draw a crowd is Tulsa.  Now they have options with Fargo and SF.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack
      [quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#13 date=1174792379][quote author=filbert link=1174649693/0#12 date=1174786832][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#11 date=1174785996]Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'.  What does that mean?  Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa.  Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town?  That seems disengenious.  
      "neutral" just means not the home arena of a Mid-Con team.  The Swiftel Center would, in theory, be a "neutral" site.[/quote]
      Thats kind of bogus if you think about it.  I mean the real issue is a big home town crowd really which is gonna happen just in an arena across town in Tulsa.[/quote]

The MidCon tournament is not going to be a big draw in Chicago, St. Louis, Indianoplis, etc.  Their best bet to draw a crowd is Tulsa.  Now they have options with Fargo and SF.[/quote]

To further expand on my last post. Tom Doupel and the MidCon are fully aware that they have stumbled upon a "cash cow" in the Dakotas. It is obvious that we here in the Dakotas are hungry for DI baskeball postseason play. I can see the MidCon playing SF and Fargo off on each other to receive the most lucrative bid. It might get ugly for SF. Kind of like the whole Vikings training camp thing. It should be fun to watch. I'm thinking Fargo might have the upper leg right now.

Comment

Sioux Falls eyes Mid-Con tournaments
        Sports Authority considers 2-year bid for basketball finals

By Terry Vandrovec
        tvandrovec@argusleader.com
        Published: April 12, 2007
        Even before it has any employees, the Sioux Falls Sports Authority is making a play to host its first major event - the Mid-Continent Conference men's and women's basketball tournament.

Chairman Kevin Lampe said the 14-member volunteer committee is working with the Arena and its winter tenants - the Skyforce and Stampede - to analyze building availability along with the city.

<snip>
        "We're talking about 16 teams coming to a community, and they played really, really good basketball - because basketball is a big thing in the Mid-Continent Conference," (SDSU Athletic Director Fred) Oien said. The Jackrabbits will begin play in the league in 2007-08, but will not be eligible for the conference tournament until the following season.

"Every school had a pep band, cheerleaders and dancers, and the entertainment was really good," Oien added. "There was a big-time atmosphere. It was a first-class event."
        read more here......

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...33/1002/SPORTS

*From the moderator: Please use discretion in posting articles from media sources. Don't post 90% of the article. A couple of paragraphs is OK, but remember that Terry V and other reporters work hard to write these articles and that their work is covered under copyright law. Excerpting for "fair use" is OK, but posting the majority of the article isn't.

Think of yourself as an executive editor, pulling out the most important point or two of the article to entice readers to go click on the link and read the whole thing. Your moderators, the Argus-Leader, and almost everyone except hungry and starving copyright attorneys will thank you. (Yes, I know that the Argus' on-line articles go away after a week or two. That's a separate issue. )

Comment

I have a lot of confidence in the City of Sioux Falls to put together a fairly aggressive package for the Mid Con.

In the last few years they have hosted State Tournaments, National Soccer and Softball Tournaments, Ribfest, Jazzfest, Lifelight music festival, Sioux Empire Fair and many other smaller events. In fact, each year the state tournament is probably 3rd or 4th on the list of big events coming to town.

Infrastructure, hotels, entertainment, and eating establishments are all about where they would need to be to host a Mid Con Tourney, IMO.

Other than the SF Arena being a little dated, I would bet that Sioux Falls can host any NCAA event as well as or better than any other town in the Mid Con.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

[quote author=2002jack link=1174649693/15#15 date=1174873653][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#13 date=1174792379][quote author=filbert link=1174649693/0#12 date=1174786832][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#11 date=1174785996]Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'.  What does that mean?  Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa.  Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town?  That seems disengenious.  

The MidCon tournament is not going to be a big draw in Chicago, St. Louis, Indianoplis, etc.  Their best bet to draw a crowd is Tulsa.  Now they have options with Fargo and SF.[/quote]

To further expand on my last post.  Tom Doupel and the MidCon are fully aware that they have stumbled upon a "cash cow" in the Dakotas.  It is obvious that we here in the Dakotas are hungry for DI baskeball postseason play.  I can see the MidCon playing SF and Fargo off on each other to receive the most lucrative bid.  It might get ugly for SF.  Kind of like the whole Vikings training camp thing.  It should be fun to watch.  I'm thinking Fargo might have the upper leg right now.[/quote]

Im not so sure about the "cash cow" concept. There would be a good chance for a large crowd, perhaps, sell out, for and SDSU game, if the team was viable. In otherwords, the current womens team would draw big. A first round game with this years team would be lucky to get 3-4000. NDSU playing in SFalls would be lucky to get 2,500 a game and Oakland playing Centernary would be lucky to draw 1,000. So the bottomline is that the 2,700 average attendance in Tulsa is a pretty good figure.

Comment

[quote author=2002jack link=1174649693/15#16 date=1174882041][quote author=2002jack link=1174649693/15#15 date=1174873653][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#13 date=1174792379][quote author=filbert link=1174649693/0#12 date=1174786832][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#11 date=1174785996]Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'.  What does that mean?  Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa.  Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town?  That seems disengenious.  
              Thats kind of bogus if you think about it.  I mean the real issue is a big home town crowd really which is gonna happen just in an arena across town in Tulsa.[/q

To further expand on my last post.  Tom Doupel and the MidCon are fully aware that they have stumbled upon a "cash cow" in the Dakotas.  It is obvious that we here in the Dakotas are hungry for DI baskeball postseason play.  I can see the MidCon playing SF and Fargo off on each other to receive the most lucrative bid.  It might get ugly for SF.  Kind of like the whole Vikings training camp thing.  It should be fun to watch.  I'm thinking Fargo might have the upper leg right now.[/quote]

Im not so sure about the "cash cow" concept.  There would be a good chance for a large crowd, perhaps, sell out, for and SDSU game, if the team was viable.  In otherwords, the current womens team would draw big.  A first round game with this years team would be lucky to get 3-4000.   NDSU playing in SFalls would be lucky to get 2,500 a game and Oakland playing Centernary would be lucky to draw 1,000.  So the bottomline is that the 2,700 average attendance in Tulsa is a pretty good figure. [/quote]

Meant to say, this years mens team would be lucky to get 3-4000.

Comment

[quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/15#19 date=1176397120][quote author=2002jack link=1174649693/15#16 date=1174882041][quote author=2002jack link=1174649693/15#15 date=1174873653][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#13 date=1174792379][quote author=filbert link=1174649693/0#12 date=1174786832][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#11 date=1174785996]Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'.  What does that mean?  Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa.  Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town?  That seems disengenious.  
                Thats kind of bogus if you think about it.  I mean the real issue is a big home town crowd really which is gonna happen just in an arena across town in Tulsa.[/q

Im not so sure about the "cash cow" concept.  There would be a good chance for a large crowd, perhaps, sell out, for and SDSU game, if the team was viable.  In otherwords, the current womens team would draw big.  A first round game with this years team would be lucky to get 3-4000.   NDSU playing in SFalls would be lucky to get 2,500 a game and Oakland playing Centernary would be lucky to draw 1,000.  So the bottomline is that the 2,700 average attendance in Tulsa is a pretty good figure. [/quote]

Meant to say, this years mens team would be lucky to get 3-4000.  [/quote]

I think you are mistaken.  When the XDSU's are in their first year of elgibility, they should easily be able to sell out "all session" tickets.  People are going to have to buy "all session" tickets or take the chance of missing out on seeing the first Dakota school qualify for an NCAA tournament birth.  I know if the MidCon tourney came to SF, it will be a mad rush for tickets.  Attendence might still be low for games not involving State, but the tickets sales will not.

Comment

[quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/15#20 date=1176397244][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/15#19 date=1176397120][quote author=2002jack link=1174649693/15#16 date=1174882041][quote author=2002jack link=1174649693/15#15 date=1174873653][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#13 date=1174792379][quote author=filbert link=1174649693/0#12 date=1174786832][quote author=HoboD link=1174649693/0#11 date=1174785996]Its been stated that the Mid Con is held in "neutral sites'.  What does that mean?  Oral Roberts is in Tulsa and the Mid Con tournaments were in Tulsa.  Does "neutral sites" simply mean another gym off campus but still in their home town?  That seems disengenious.  

Meant to say, this years mens team would be lucky to get 3-4000.  [/quote]

I think you are mistaken.  When the XDSU's are in their first year of elgibility, they should easily be able to sell out "all session" tickets.  People are going to have to buy "all session" tickets or take the chance of missing out on seeing the first Dakota school qualify for an NCAA tournament birth.  I know if the MidCon tourney came to SF, it will be a mad rush for tickets.  Attendence might still be low for games not involving State, but the tickets sales will not.
                  [/quote]
                  If they didnt sell individual session tickets you might be right. Guess it depends on the price. Do they make you buy a tournament ticket that includes all the mens and womens games?

Comment

Re: South Dakota to host Mid-Con Tourney .  . mayb

I have no idea. I bet it's something that could be negotiated in the bid package.

Comment

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu/

Terry's got more on his blog about the MidCon tourney.

Comment

While flipping from KELO to KSFY i heard there will be an anoucement on monday about an event come to sioux falls. Did anyone hear this as well or got the full story???

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks_NL
                          While flipping from KELO to KSFY i heard there will be an anoucement on monday about an event come to sioux falls.  Did anyone hear this as well or got the full story???
                          If thats the case....

Please let it be the Mid-Con volleyball tourney...So I wouldn't have to miss the NDSU football game that weekend, to cover the volleyball team when they make it into the conference tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks_NL
                            While flipping from KELO to KSFY i heard there will be an anoucement on monday about an event come to sioux falls.  Did anyone hear this as well or got the full story???

Craig and Bob mentioned this on their show today.  Craig said it would be a multi year event and I believe they said it was not basketball or football related.  My guess would be some type of soccer event but I might be way off.  

Comment

Originally posted by SiouxFallsJack
                              [quote author=Jacks_NL link=1174649693/15#25 date=1177645154]While flipping from KELO to KSFY i heard there will be an anoucement on monday about an event come to sioux falls.  Did anyone hear this as well or got the full story???

Craig and Bob mentioned this on their show today.  Craig said it would be a multi year event and I believe they said it was not basketball or football related.  My guess would be some type of soccer event but I might be way off.  [/quote]
                              I would like to venture to say volleyball, just because I know the team was looking at making a bid for that. Then again, we could all be way off. Maybe it is softball or baseball. Who knows. I don't.

Comment

I'm thinking youth soccer...

You DO realize the Soccer is a communist conspiracy for world domination, don't you! ;D

Just kidding.... COMRADES!
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X