Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMKC

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    Pretty much every team in the league has second fiddle issues except the xDSU's. A person could make a pretty decent argument that Fargo revolves around football... on a population/attendance ratio for men's basketball, UMKC might have you beat.

After UMKC, can anyone name a better option than UND? To be clear, I'm not saying UND is on the table in any way, but it would be a no-brainer if they were.

Joining the Summit, cutting travel costs dramatically, and improving rivalry attendance would free up money to pay their hoops coaches more. Assuming Hockey doesn't suck up that money as quickly as its saved.
    Add UMKC, add UND, kick out IUPUI and IPFW to the Horizon (they'd take them right? ) and then Augie moves up to solidify NCC 2.0:

UND/NDSU
    SDSU/USD
    UNO/Augie
    DU/ORU
    WIU/UMKC

BOOM! I-29/I-35 conference with 2 outliers.
    Last edited by KUlawJack; 10-03-2014, 01:29 PM. Reason: change arrangement
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      Add UMKC, add UND, kick out IUPUI and IPFW to the Horizon (they'd take them right? ) and then Augie moves up to solidify NCC 2.0:

UND/NDSU
      SDSU/USD
      UNO/Augie
      DU/ORU
      WIU/UMKC

BOOM! I-29/I-35 conference with 2 outliers.
      Sorry, but I think that is going backwards. The level of basketball has improved dramatically since we left NCC 1. Bringing in Augie is a step down and also gives them more impetus to compete for local recruits. As the big boys consolidate their will be better opportunities for us to improve our conference. Patience.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboD View Post
        Sorry, but I think that is going backwards. The level of basketball has improved dramatically since we left NCC 1. Bringing in Augie is a step down and also gives them more impetus to compete for local recruits. As the big boys consolidate their will be better opportunities for us to improve our conference. Patience.
        I second this.

Augie does nothing except subtract from the support for SDSU and USD, while simultaneously adding an institution which, let's be blunt, would in the long term be not a great deal more than a Centenary College of the North in Division I men's basketball--which is what you're talking about when you're talking Summit League membership.

Augie is a prototypical D-II school in every respect nowadays (a sign of the relative decline of D-II, this).

Somebody like Central Missouri (because of institutional size) or Concordia-St. Paul (because of location) would be much better prospects for a D-II to D-I move-up than Augie. Having said that, the Summit League should at this point be out of the D-II uplift business . . . that's the WAC's schtick now.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I second this.

Augie does nothing except subtract from the support for SDSU and USD, while simultaneously adding an institution which, let's be blunt, would in the long term be not a great deal more than a Centenary College of the North in Division I men's basketball--which is what you're talking about when you're talking Summit League membership.

Augie is a prototypical D-II school in every respect nowadays (a sign of the relative decline of D-II, this).

Somebody like Central Missouri (because of institutional size) or Concordia-St. Paul (because of location) would be much better prospects for a D-II to D-I move-up than Augie. Having said that, the Summit League should at this point be out of the D-II uplift business . . . that's the WAC's schtick now.
          Agree completely. If UMKC does in fact come back to the Summit, I see no need to add members just for the sake of adding members, especially Augie.

I could see the benefit of adding UND and UNC from the Big Sky however. Only problem there is finding a home for their football programs, although a 12 team, 2 league MVFC could have some benefits as well if they were added.

Comment

Regarding Augie:

Correct me if you need to, but Former AD Bill Gross took a very serious look at moving up and found it would not work financially in the immediate future. I doubt anything has changed.

Comment

Guys Augie? Seriously Augie? It is a fine school and D2 program, but Augie?

Some of you love your Dakota ex-NCC schools a bit too much. Whoever said the Summit needs to get out of the D2 move up business is right.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post

Some of you love your Dakota ex-NCC schools a bit too much. Whoever said the Summit needs to get out of the D2 move up business is right.
                Drake enrollment 3500. Creighton enrollment 4300. Why couldn't Augie go DI. They have the corporate support and the facilities in one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Not saying it will happen, but Augie has a lot more ging for it than many D1 schools. Seriously

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Drake enrollment 3500. Creighton enrollment 4300. Why couldn't Augie go DI. They have the corporate support and the facilities in one of the fastest growing cities in the country. Not saying it will happen, but Augie has a lot more for it than many D1 schools.
                  Drake is in Des Moines and Creighton is in Omaha. Makes it a bit easier.

Both schools also have much larger endowments as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                    Agree completely. If UMKC does in fact come back to the Summit, I see no need to add members just for the sake of adding members, especially Augie.

I could see the benefit of adding UND and UNC from the Big Sky however. Only problem there is finding a home for their football programs, although a 12 team, 2 league MVFC could have some benefits as well if they were added.
                    I'm sure the Big Sky would be open to letting UND and UNC be football only members like Poly and Davis are.

Comment

Completely agree. Why in the world would anyone want Augustana in the Summit. We have moved on have we not? Augie comes in, I'm looking for SDSU and NDSU to move out.

Comment

UMKC
                        Pros:
                        -The are centrally located in the Summit and help re-establish the I-29 backbone we once had. They also serve as a connecting point between Denver and the eastern teams.
                        -They play in a great venue now.
                        -Basketball is their number one sport, they had a really good women's team their last year in the Summit.
                        -Kansas City could make a great weekend get away for fans with it only being 6 hours from Brookings and 5 hours from Sioux Falls.
                        -They bring in another Men's Soccer program.

Cons:
                        -At last notice their men's program was bad.
                        -They don't have baseball.
                        -As of right now I believe they have a weak administration, and this was proven when they decided to take their ball and go home because they couldn't "compete".

UND
                        Pros:
                        -Older XDSU fans seem to still have a connection with them from the NCC days, younger one's like me tend to be more indifferent towards them like we were towards Omaha.
                        -They have a good basketball venue and decent men's program and good women's program.
                        -They are only 4 hours away from Brookings, and 5 from Sioux Falls.
                        -They would bring in a baseball program.
                        -The would help with the I-29 Backbone.

Cons:
                        -Driving to GF in Jan or Feb could absolutely suck.
                        -Basketball is their 3rd sport behind hockey and football.
                        -They would technically expand the Summit footprint.
                        -The non-Dakota schools would absolutely hate having to play at another Dakota location. Those schools already whine enough as it is.

I also saw Augie brought up in this thread and I agree with FargoBison, they are a D2 school. The only way they could go D1 is if they dropped football, and no way in hell they drop football after raising all that money for a new football stadium. Also it is a little ludicrous to compare them to two, well established D1 schools in metros of 600,000 and 900,000...Augie is a different animal compared to Drake and Creighton. Augie and USF have the potential to be dominate schools nationally in D2 and the NSIC in the major sports, and I would love to see them take advantage of that cause it will only help raise the level of South Dakota HS competition along with what SDSU and USD are already doing.

Comment

If you, or anyone else here doesn't think Augie is taking a really really hard look at D I and getting some big donors to invest heavily in making it happen, I don't know what to tell you. And if you don't think the Summit would be interested, I also don't know what to tell you. I'd guess it's a bit more serious than we contemplate here.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                            If you, or anyone else here doesn't think Augie is taking a really really hard look at D I and getting some big donors to invest heavily in making it happen, I don't know what to tell you. And if you don't think the Summit would be interested, I also don't know what to tell you. I'd guess it's a bit more serious than we contemplate here.
                            The bring absolutely nothing to the table. 1800 students, smallish endowment for a private school and are in a market the league already dominates. All they would do is cannibalize the league's recruiting area.

Comment

Augustana's endowment is 60 million, SDSU's 72 million and NDSU's 103 million. Not sure that necessarily dictates athletic success. Augie has more of a presence in and following in Sioux Falls than some of the other schools in the conference in their respective communities.

Comment

The bring absolutely nothing to the table. 1800 students, smallish endowment for a private school and are in a market the league already dominates. All they would do is cannibalize the league's recruiting area.

Don't shoot the messenger here.

Comment

Working...
                                X