Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Summit League season

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    That would be my guess too. Not so much based on the job he's done, but on the fact that they struggled last year too, and James was Coach Boots assistant. Face it, he'd have really had to turn things around quickly to keep the position. This way, they can use the "rebuilding under a new coach" line as they move forward. All that being said...still several conference games, and the tournament to play...if coach James gets them turned around and winning... it will be much harder for them. Personally, I think he's done a good job.
    I agree, Joey has done a good job and he will represent the university well. I know he has a lot of support from former players and many of the younger alumni. The support he has simply won't be enough to overcome the desire to have someone with more experience and success in the position next year. Several boosters assure me that they have been told there are "many" highly qualified individuals interested in the position.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
      That would be my guess too. Not so much based on the job he's done, but on the fact that they struggled last year too, and James was Coach Boots assistant. Face it, he'd have really had to turn things around quickly to keep the position. This way, they can use the "rebuilding under a new coach" line as they move forward. All that being said...still several conference games, and the tournament to play...if coach James gets them turned around and winning... it will be much harder for them. Personally, I think he's done a good job.
      I agree, I think he can get them to play better defense then the zone. They have had an up and down year and it was going to be challenging no matter who the coach was. They have some talent and some role players and i really think they are close to being a good middle of the confrence team to a top team. Kasperbuer can bury it from 3, they have flack who seems pretty decent on D and pretty good athlete. Sometimes wonder if he had a chance to recruit his guys for the way he wants to play if that would have any impact. I get it that he was Boots assistant, but its still not the same thing. But honestly with out a new arena built yet, who are they going to find who is a big name or big experience who will come on 1 year contracts to a school with avg to poor attendance and fan support and a horrible facility and given a chance to turn it around.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        It's ongoing. Based on what I am hearing they want a "D1 guy" or a lower level guy with "name recognition". If you asked me today I'd say Coach James will be looking for a new position at the end of this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your the SDSU undercover at USD, so respect what you say. I imagine people are weighing in with Jim Abbott, and pressure might carry the day for a new candidates that do not include Joey James.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 02-10-2014, 05:16 PM.

Comment

In regards to Joey James matter, I share the following.

Since I read this on another message board, and the poster does frequent this board, I will leave them nameless. This individual did bring up a name who might by now be highly qualified. Craig Smith has followed the success of Tim Miles from Mayville to UNL. Although he might be making more as an assistant than what he would get at the USD HC, they could offer more, but Smith might not be interested. I expect the peter principle to get Tim Miles eventually, but I could be wrong. I think if Miles were to get his walking papers at UNL, this would put Craig Smith in the job market. Then he would be come a very likely candidate. This message board is of the opinion that there are a bunch of candidates out there that would love to become the next head coach at used.

Comment

Summit League teams should watch with interest what USD does with Coach James. The entire league complains about the terrible seeds awarded our lone entrant into the NCAA basketball dance. It's important that the entire league be competitive so that someday we get more than one team in the tourney. I understand the desire to get a coach who has some experience other than just the school where he played and was an assistant. At the same time, I think the product USD is putting on the floor is a better product and Coach James gets some credit because there's little change in the personnel.

Tough decision ahead for Dave Herbster.

Comment

James has taken over a team with marginal talent, completely changed their defensive philosophy, and has them competing on a nightly basis. He deserves the job IMO.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I agree, I think he can get them to play better defense then the zone. They have had an up and down year and it was going to be challenging no matter who the coach was. They have some talent and some role players and i really think they are close to being a good middle of the confrence team to a top team. Kasperbuer can bury it from 3, they have flack who seems pretty decent on D and pretty good athlete. Sometimes wonder if he had a chance to recruit his guys for the way he wants to play if that would have any impact. I get it that he was Boots assistant, but its still not the same thing. But honestly with out a new arena built yet, who are they going to find who is a big name or big experience who will come on 1 year contracts to a school with avg to poor attendance and fan support and a horrible facility and given a chance to turn it around.
                A good coach coaches to get the most out of the players he has. He doesnt recruit players specifically to fit his system.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  Summit League teams should watch with interest what USD does with Coach James. The entire league complains about the terrible seeds awarded our lone entrant into the NCAA basketball dance. It's important that the entire league be competitive so that someday we get more than one team in the tourney. I understand the desire to get a coach who has some experience other than just the school where he played and was an assistant. At the same time, I think the product USD is putting on the floor is a better product and Coach James gets some credit because there's little change in the personnel.

Tough decision ahead for Dave Herbster.
                  And Jim Abbott. I am hardly an expert in informal social conversations, but judging from jackmd conclusion that James will not be selected, which I feel is a huge mistake, the movers and shakers are making their move and its not towards the James corner.
                  I would expect a national search.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    James has taken over a team with marginal talent, completely changed their defensive philosophy, and has them competing on a nightly basis. He deserves the job IMO.
                    You are absolutely right, but do the USD movers and shakers see this? No they don't, they are looking for wins and more wins. That's all that matters to them.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                      I won't argue this point. Trust me, plenty of people see it this way as well. The ones I have talked to don't get the impression that the administration is all the enamored with the idea of keeping a young coach at the helm during the fledgling portion of the DI era. Is there any precedent for bringing in a crusty old veteran coach at USD?

My comments on Coach James are not opinion. This is what I am understanding when talking to some USD boosters. Some say Herbster is feeling a need to make a "splash" in order to solidify his position. Granted, its all hearsay and none of its proven fact. Speculation, one of the most enjoyable things in life.

As TK would say, "I think I had that".
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Another "basketball night" (as my wife calls it) is upon us. The men's schedule is full of meaningful games. The women's, a little less so.

Men's games:

- NDSU is at WIU, a place they have not won since 2010. WIU was awfully banged up last week (only dressing 8 players). Go Leathernecks!

- USD is at FW. Will FW come out swinging after the beatings they took last week? Will USD finally get that missing road win? I hate to say it, but I hope so.

- SDSU at Omaha is obviously a big one. The Jacks have something to prove after sleepwalking through the Omaha game at Frost last month. That Omaha offense is scary.

- Denver is at IUPUI. I think IUPUI is going to get a win this week (they have USD coming in Saturday).

Women's games:

- FW at USD looks like the most interesting game. The Coyotes seem to be coming out of the stupor they found themselves in when the Jacks blasted them in the opening minutes a couple weeks ago. They still have a chance to climb as high as third if they win tonight.

- IUPUI is at Denver in the first of three consecutive road games. If they are going to pick up a loss, it is going to be one of those games.

Comment

MBB: Umm ... IUPUI 25, Denver 20. Halftime. IUPUI committed 1 foul the entire half.

MBB: IPFW 32, USD 20, Halftime.

Comment

MBB: IUPUI 59, Denver 49. Final. Wut.

Comment

MBB: IPFW 75, USD 69. Final. Weird game. USD was down 18, then up 4, but end up losing. USD is now 3-6 in TSL. 0-6 in the league since bracketology reports came out with them in the tourney.

Comment

NDSU ends up winning at WIU, but only by four points. Three of their last four wins have been by 6 or less. The Bison are definitely beatable. I can't help but think that their top-5 ranking in that mid-major poll is WAY too high.

Comment

Working...
                                X