Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Summit League Regular Season Conference

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Did anyone watch the western ill clip on espn. The mascot walking into the cheerleader doing flips and both got knocked down pretty good. Dan lebatard was making fun of it like it was pre game practice but it was during a hame with like 12 people in the stands. It was a womens game. Not sure who they were playing just watched it on my phone.
    As JackDaniel noted, the Leathernecks shot too many 3's that did not go in. They played earlier in the year and beat the same Chicago St team 87-52. Chicago St is now 4-18. So this a loss that takes the shine off the bottom half of women's conference in Summit. 189 was the reported attendance. It must not have been cold enough in Chicago to come in off the streets other than for the mascot.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Well, there is not much big news in the games tonight. NDSU ought to handle the Roos in Fargo. SDSU ought to handle the yotes as well. The women games carry even less opportunity for change in the standings unless one of the games brings separation of the 3-5 teams for the seeds to be found for the tourney. The big crowd should be in Brookings for the men to watch the yotes get a dose of reality( as I hope the Jacks get their game tonight). Fort Wayne vs Omaha for men and women are Omaha at Ft Wayne while UMKC @ NDSU are the other games
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

men
        mavs handle Ft Wayne 86-79
        bison 71 kc 34* It must have been real cold since only 1700+ get to bison sports arena

Comment

NOAA says -16F in Fargo, -34F wind chill. A mite cold that.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
            NOAA says -16F in Fargo, -34F wind chill. A mite cold that.
            We are lucky it was only around -10F in Brookings. There was a nice crowd for students at game tonight! They certainly livened the game.

Comment

UNO jumps over USD in the standings tonight. Don't even know what to say about UNO being better than half of the league at this point in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Reger View Post
                UNO jumps over USD in the standings tonight. Don't even know what to say about UNO being better than half of the league at this point in the season.
                I don't know either other than it means the league is top heavy and does not a whole lot of good teams this year
                Last edited by witness; 02-01-2013, 11:33 AM.
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                  I don't know either other than it means the league is top heavy and has not a whole lot of good teams this year
                  That,plus you would expect that UNO would take some time to adapt to a new conference. When the Jacks played them in December they got down big early , but played much better in the second half. You could see then that they had some scorers , but struggled with an inside game and on defense. Sounds like they are getting some of those things figured out.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    That,plus you would expect that UNO would take some time to adapt to a new conference. When the Jacks played them in December they got down big early , but played much better in the second half. You could see then that they had some scorers , but struggled with an inside game and on defense. Sounds like they are getting some of those things figured out.
                    For me it is both of the above. The bottom three teams in the Summit are really bad this year. Centenary may have had a chance to beat any of them. The fact that Omaha is better than those three this year is still a surprise.

One thing about those bottom three teams - getting to face them in the tourney will make for a nice opening round for seeds 1-3. There will be a big difference between being seeded #3 and #4 because of this.

Omaha gets Oakland at home tomorrow. That's an interesting matchup.

Comment

I would want nothing to do with Oakland in the 1st round. They're kind of a one-trick pony...but if that pony is on his tricks that night...

We should be seeded high enough to avoid them in the 1st round, though.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Upsets occur in the first round of the SL tourney almost every year. IPFW has Frank Gaines, they can be dangerous in one game. IUPUI and UMKC really don't seem to have any momentum right now. I hope IPFW grabs that 6 seed while SDSU gets the 1 or 2. I'd much rather face IUPUI or UMKC in the 1st round.

For the Jackrabbits its going to come down to defending Frost Saturday then IPFW, a win there and there is less pressure at OU. Jacks have not won in Kampe's building. Even with a loss at OU a top seed is still possible as long as we win the rest of the games, most importantly WIU at home.

Hurts my head to even begin to think about the tie breaker possibilities at this point, too early for that.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Yes, too early to worry much about tie-breakers, but I have a feeling they are going to come into play for at least two of the top three teams.

Here are the first two steps of the tie-breaker process, taken from the Summit website:
                          1. Results of head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
                          2. Comparison of each tied team's record against the team occupying the highest position in the standings continuing down through the standings until a team gains an advantage.
                          There's lots of ball left to be played but our road win over WIU could come in very handy if we end up tied with either them or NDSU for first or second. That was a big win and doing it again at home on February 16 would really solidify things. That game should attract another nice crowd. Count me in!

Comment

Men's Standings (2/1/2013)

1. NDSU 8-2 conference, 17-5 overall
                            1. Western Ill. 8-2, 16-5
                            1. SDSU 8-2, 17-6
                            4. Oakland 5-4, 10-13
                            Omaha 5-6, 8-16
                            5. USD 4-6, 8-14
                            6. Fort Wayne 3-7, 10-14
                            UMKC 3-7, 6-17
                            8. IUPUI 1-9, 6-18

Remaining Schedules:

NDSU - USD, @ Oakland, @ Fort Wayne, Western Ill., IUPUI, @ Omaha
                            Western Ill. - @IUPUI, Omaha, @ NDSU, @ SDSU, KC, USD
                            SDSU - KC, @ Fort Wayne, @ Oakland, IUPUI, Western Ill., @ Omaha
                            Oakland - @ Omaha, NDSU, SDSU, @ USD, @ KC, @ Fort Wayne, Fort Wayne
                            USD - @ NDSU, @ KC, Oakland, Fort Wayne, @ IUPUI, @ Western Ill.

Based on the schedules, NDSU and SDSU have to be favored in all of their remaining games. Western Ill. and Oakland could be expected to go 3-2 down the stretch. On paper, I'd suspect that USD would finish 2-3. So if my predictions follow through, NDSU/SDSU will finish tied for 1st with the next three spots going to 3.) Western Ill., 4.) Oakland, 5.) USD. I have a hard time seeing anyway that KC and the two Indiana schools climbing out of the cellar or winning any games at the tourney.

Bottom line is nothing matters unless we win the next game. We need another strong/loud crowd for KC to insure we don't come out flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Reger View Post
                              Omaha will have to play some good ball to stay at the mid-point in the league standings. They do have IUPUI left to play but other than that their schedule gets tough. They play SDSU, NDSU and Oakland at home and @Western Illinois. That means out of the 5 conference games they have left, 4 of them are against the top 4 teams in the league. Their saving grace might be 3 of those 4 games are at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                Omaha will have to play some good ball to stay at the mid-point in the league standings. They do have IUPUI left to play but other than that their schedule gets tough. They play SDSU, NDSU and Oakland at home and @Western Illinois. That means out of the 5 conference games they have left, 4 of them are against the top 4 teams in the league. Their saving grace might be 3 of those 4 games are at home.
                                Exactly. There are some really bad teams in the league, they've beat all 5 of them.

Comment

Working...
                                X