Summit League Major Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Major Announcement

Five year extension with a option for five years for renewal of the Conference Basketball Tournament in Sioux Falls!!!

Comment

Summit Tourney in Sioux Falls through 2019 !

Comment

In the words of our current VP, "This is a big f*#@ing deal!"

Just curious, who has the option to extend, the Summit League or the SFSA?

Great, great news!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

1st of all I'm excited, and I believe that Sioux Falls can do as good of job if not a better job then any other comparable city.

I'm going to make some speculations about this move.

A. If Oakland is serious about leaving they will announce before the end of the basketball season. They (and ORU) were the two schools that were fussing about it, ORU has left already. We will see about Oakland now.

B. I wouldn't be surprised if another regional school goes D-I and joins the Summit League (or possibly UND). The argument had always been when schools complained that if they were serious they could do something about it as it was bid out every two. I think it would be hard to attract another school from the Eastern part of the conference with this decision. On top of part A. where if Oakland or anyone else is serious about it I'm guessing this decision would push them over the top so to say.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            In the words of our current VP, "This is a big f*#@ing deal!"

Just curious, who has the option to extend, the Summit League or the SFSA?

Great, great news!

SUPERBUNNY
            The way I understood it was it was that the SFSA could re-up for the same or already negotiated deal. Or they could decline and then go through the process again. But again that is the way I understood and interpreted it and I've been known to get a thing or two wrong.

Comment

I agree with Joe that is how it was stated by Sullivan. 5 years with the option for the SFSA to re-up for another 5 which according to Sullivan would take it well into the 2020's

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                I agree with Joe that is how it was stated by Sullivan. 5 years with the option for the SFSA to re-up for another 5 which according to Sullivan would take it well into the 2020's
                though Terry just tweeted that this took over the existing 2 year deal.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  though Terry just tweeted that this took over the existing 2 year deal.
                  That's the way i understood it. New 5 year starts now,replacing the old one. 5 year option could start in 2018.

Comment

I went to the home page for this site and clicked on the fan discussion boards around the conference to see if there was any discussion. I didn't find much of anything. Perhaps the news hasn't reached their fans yet. Perhaps none of them care.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Would think the NDSU and USD fans would have some comment. But then I suppose the NDSU fans are busy with football.
                      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

http://www.thesummitleague.org/sport...03012-tournext

http://www.argusleader.com/proart/20...gerestricted=1

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                          Would think the NDSU and USD fans would have some comment. But then I suppose the NDSU fans are busy with football.
                          And USD fans still think they are in the Valley basketball conference. Hah
                          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                            And USD administrators still think they are in the Valley basketball conference. Hah
                            Fixed it for you.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
                              I went to the home page for this site and clicked on the fan discussion boards around the conference to see if there was any discussion. I didn't find much of anything. Perhaps the news hasn't reached their fans yet. Perhaps none of them care.
                              If we were to say this is not an advantage, that would not ring true. However, this is a windfall of fan support for more than SDSU. UMKC, USD, NDSU, and UNO could all bring a crowd to Sioux Falls. It is a reality that the eastern locations could not bring a profitable deal to the Summit League. The profits for the league do help the other conference members, it is just hard to get positive crowd noise for your team. When Oakland men won 2010 & 2011 it may have been they had a better team and playing the game in Sioux Falls made no difference. Meanwhile enjoy the award to Sioux Falls Sport Authority and try to be gracious hosts to the teams that participate.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                If we were to say this is not an advantage, that would not ring true. However, this is a windfall of fan support for more than SDSU. UMKC, USD, NDSU, and UNO could all bring a crowd to Sioux Falls. It is a reality that the eastern locations could not bring a profitable deal to the Summit League. The profits for the league do help the other conference members, it is just hard to get positive crowd noise for your team. When Oakland men won 2010 & 2011 it may have been they had a better team and playing the game in Sioux Falls made no difference. Meanwhile enjoy the award to Sioux Falls Sport Authority and try to be gracious hosts to the teams that participate.
                                Don't let the bozos from USD put up the signage.
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X