Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Summit League Major Announcement

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    If we were to say this is not an advantage, that would not ring true. However, this is a windfall of fan support for more than SDSU. UMKC, USD, NDSU, and UNO could all bring a crowd to Sioux Falls. It is a reality that the eastern locations could not bring a profitable deal to the Summit League. The profits for the league do help the other conference members, it is just hard to get positive crowd noise for your team. When Oakland men won 2010 & 2011 it may have been they had a better team and playing the game in Sioux Falls made no difference. Meanwhile enjoy the award to Sioux Falls Sport Authority and try to be gracious hosts to the teams that participate.
    Its an advantage, no question. No matter who or where you play, you have to overcome though. The money from the Summit Tournament helps all the schools in the conference, the presidents understand this.

Once the new arena is open for business, there needs to be a HUGE push to get other fans there besides SDSU, NDSU, and USD (assuming USD fans will show up for anyone besides against SDSU). Oakland has done well in this regard, but it would be nice to see more.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      Once the new arena is open for business, there needs to be a HUGE push to get other fans there besides SDSU, NDSU, and USD (assuming USD fans will show up for anyone besides against SDSU). Oakland has done well in this regard, but it would be nice to see more.
      Building the new arena downtown along the river and near the falls would have gone a long way toward accomplishing this. I just don't see the type of development happening out at the chosen site that will bring Summit League fans from the eastern schools (other than the absolutely hardest of hard-core) in droves. Think Bricktown in OKC for Big XII baseball. Think KC Power & Light for Big XII basketball. Think Pinnacle Bank Arena and Haymarket District here in Lincoln -- and the arena doesn't even open for another year.

I realize it's a done deal. I realize the topic is a dead horse. But I don't think Summit League tourney attendance ever will realize its full potential out at the current arena site. Regardless, it sure is great to have it locked up in Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
        Building the new arena downtown along the river and near the falls would have gone a long way toward accomplishing this. I just don't see the type of development happening out at the chosen site that will bring Summit League fans from the eastern schools (other than the absolutely hardest of hard-core) in droves. Think Bricktown in OKC for Big XII baseball. Think KC Power & Light for Big XII basketball. Think Pinnacle Bank Arena and Haymarket District here in Lincoln -- and the arena doesn't even open for another year.

I realize it's a done deal. I realize the topic is a dead horse. But I don't think Summit League tourney attendance ever will realize its full potential out at the current arena site. Regardless, it sure is great to have it locked up in Sioux Falls for the foreseeable future.
        I couldn't agree more. Seems that most people just settled to get a new one built saying this is good enough. Not saying what could be the greatest or best for SF and local interests. But like you said the good news is we have it for 5 years atleast.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Something like this?

http://www.ksfy.com/story/19897579/new

Sioux Falls unveils new plans for NW district

City leaders have unveiled a new plan to spur economic development in Northwest Sioux Falls.

It's a 3 square mile area around the new Denny Sanford Premier Center that will be named the 'Sioux Falls Sports and Entertainment District'.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Something like this?

City leaders have unveiled a new plan to spur economic development in Northwest Sioux Falls.

It's a 3 square mile area around the new Denny Sanford Premier Center that will be named the 'Sioux Falls Sports and Entertainment District'.
            I was one who felt the arena should have been downtown, but I'm more optimistic about it's current location being that there is a push to develop the district.

Don't know if it'll be successful, but at least their is a realization that just having a new building is not enough.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Something like this?

The City of Sioux Falls: pounding a square peg through a round hole since 1961.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

The City of Sioux Falls: pounding a square peg through a round hole since 1961.
                Come on.....been doing it longer than that.....the mill was the first albatross this city ever had........when Pettigrew damned up the river up stream then blew it while investors were looking on, the onrush of water made it look like a no-brainer for them to put their money into it......
                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Something like this?

The way I see it is development spurring off of an event center should happen on its own if done correctly. Not because the City has to force development around it for it to happen. Encouraging growth and change is one thing but creating level playing fields and letting private developers put thier money forward and not tax payers I feel is a better way to go, but I apparently am the minority considering the event center was passed with the hope it might develop around it.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                    Come on.....been doing it longer than that.....the mill was the first albatross this city ever had........when Pettigrew damned up the river up stream then blew it while investors were looking on, the onrush of water made it look like a no-brainer for them to put their money into it......
                    You forget the Zip Mill fiasco. There was a story on that on MSNBC "Caught on Camera" Last Sunday. I had almost forgot about that happening.

Comment

We can debate again and again (and we already have - multiple times) about which location is better. But let's be realistic - the only way you will draw "droves" of fans from the eastern schools and KC is to hold the tourney in Disney World or some other vacation destination - and that probably would't even make much difference. And here's why - Average home attendance for 2011/12 season. Men - Oakland (3346) ; IPFW (1657) ; UMKC (1308) ; WIU (1182) and IUPUI (1133). Women - Oakland (647) ; UMKC (531) ; WIU (479) ; IUPUI (300) and IPFW (294). Take out at least a couple hundred students from those averages,and the only team that likely averages over 1000 paying customers a game are the Oakland men. We need to understand that we're not the SEC,or the Big East or even the Valley. The only way one of these schools brings a significant number of fans to any location is if their team is having a "magical"season like our women in '08/9,or the Bison men when they won the tournament. We can see that even with the Bison,who are within driving distance. How many of their fans have turned out after that year when they won ?

Comment

[QUOTE=bigticket1;211170]We can debate again and again (and we already have - multiple times) about which location is better. But let's be realistic - the only way you will draw "droves" of fans from the eastern schools and KC is to hold the tourney in Disney World or some other vacation destination QUOTE]

I completely agree. The fans that are going to come from KC, Illinois etc, are probably going to come regardless of where the arena is located. There won't be many of them either way unless their team is on a magical run. I can't imagine factoring arena location into my decision to travel to a tournament in another city. Sioux Falls is Sioux Falls, no matter where the arena is built. Trying to compare SF to OKC, KC, or Lincoln is not exactly apples-to-apples.

Comment

I think the key is getting USD and UNO established. SDSU will bring a large crowd, no doubt. NDSU travels well. I think the question will be will USD fans show up for 1st round games? for afternoon womens games? And then when UNO is established will they be a UMKC (a dozen maybe 2 dozen fans) or will they bring a few hundred, maybe a thousand and stay the whole weekend?

I'm big on the philosophy if you can get them here once, and not totally fail, they will return more times then not. An idea I have is the first year its held in the new arena to have the Sports Authority line up charter bus trips from all the schools. Have everything set up, motels, tickets, etc. Do it in tandem with the schools, maybe they just want 1 bus, maybe they want 6.

Filling up 12K will be harder then 6K and ultimately will need the help of other schools, and to think outside of the box.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                            An idea I have is the first year its held in the new arena to have the Sports Authority line up charter bus trips from all the schools. Have everything set up, motels, tickets, etc. Do it in tandem with the schools, maybe they just want 1 bus, maybe they want 6.
                            I like this idea, but I'm not sure if its a big enough "win" for the SFSA to put in the effort of organizing that mess.

An engaged USD fan base would be huge for this tournament. I just don't see them showing up for women's games or men's games against anyone except NDSU/SDSU.

Getting UNO up to snuff is going to be an uphill battle, but they seem to be making some pretty significant strides in the right direction.

Comment

You seriously believe that the eastern fans wont come here because its not being built downtown? Like they really know about SF and care if its downtown or at the current site? Really? Your serious? If they are going to come here for the tourney, they will find their way downtown if there is good reason to go downtown. They will find the hotspots. Its not like they have to go very far from the current site to find the downtown spots.

Comment

I like this idea, but I'm not sure if its a big enough "win" for the SFSA to put in the effort of organizing that mess.

An engaged USD fan base would be huge for this tournament. I just don't see them showing up for women's games or men's games against anyone except NDSU/SDSU.

Getting UNO up to snuff is going to be an uphill battle, but they seem to be making some pretty significant strides in the right direction.
                                Looking at their average basketball attendance from last year - Men (894) and women (373). Basketball fans there are probably Cornhuskers first and Creighton second. They also have to fight a very competitive hockey program,who has fared pretty well in the tough WCHA.

Comment

Working...
                                X