If The Coyotes Played the Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If The Coyotes Played the Jacks

The Jacks got IMHO the two best athletes in the state of South Dakota last year in Jordan Paula and Mike Steffen. Over time getting that kind of talent in the region will widen the gap even further. The bottom line is USD will never have the balls to play SDSU again. It's funny how USD fan's keep referring to our bad basketball team last year. I think it was expected whether we were playing in DII or DI that we were going to take a beating after losing our two best players in Matt Jones and Andy Moeller. You better worry about your own basketball team that looks to have no depth and be small for even the NCC.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
      Mav D-II,

While you are doing your historical research, maybe you can tell me the last time that either UNO or USD went to an Elite 8 in either Men's or Women's basketball.  Let me give you a head start.  I know USD's Men did it in 1958.  

Go State!  ;D

Actually USD's men went to the Elite 8 twice in the 1990s. Thats not having to go back too far, is it?

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979

Sportsbuff you didn't even look at the facts.  Winona was a top tier d2 team last year, one of the best actually, and our average d1aa team who is no better than the top level d2 teams if not worse spanked them by 25.

I will admit the difference is not as big as some may think, but it is much larger than what you lead on.

You and your fellow coyote fans can spout off all day long about how there isn't much difference between the two divisions, how you are "South Dakota's Team" (whatever the hell that means), and how USD would still beat State part of the time.  Parts of all of that may be true.  The fact of the matter is, USD is too afraid to prove it.  Come play us.  If i remember correctly it was USD who said they wouldn't play in Brookings or Sioux Falls.  You honestly can't expect us to come to Vermillion during the first couple years of the transition.  But if there isn't much difference between the divisions then game on.  Come to Brookings you have nothing to lose, you either:

1) WIN, and be able to tell your kids, grandkids, and kids grandkids about the time the little University went to the big bad D1 school and whooped up on them when they thought they were all high and mighty.  Plus it would greatly increase your leverage in the state with recruits, fans, etc. and might even go a little further to establish some (a sliver of) reasoning behind your "SD's TEAM" marketing campaign

or

2) LOSE, and have the excuse that you weren't supposed to win anyway, State is in a higher division that you.  Even if you keep the game close it would help you for recruiting, publicity, etc.  PLUS, you will most likely get a big fat paycheck for playing us that would  come in very handy for the rinky dink operation of an Athletic Dept you have down south.  If nothing else it would help the South Dakota taxpayers from having to bail USD out from another financial mishap.  PLUS, it would give your fans and alumni something to be excited about.  Maybe it would be enough motivation to realize they should start to attend other games in Vermillion now that they can't all come out and cheer "HATE STATE" three times a year and feel good about themselves for a couple of days for being a supporter of their university.  

In my opinion, the ball is in USD's court.  I can't believe we would say we don't want to play you in basketball or football during the next couple of years because the gate would be huge and it would please some of our fanbase as well.  So if you want to keep talking the talk, i would venture to say you should speak with your AD and see if USD is ready to walk the walk.  Let's prove who is South Dakota's team on the fields and court; although there shouldn't be much debate looking at the support and performance of the two universities over the last 10 - 20 years..

Wouldn't it be nice to be a visiting guest of the board who can pop in and take shots and sling mud at SDSU when they feel but not have to respond to any posts they don't feel like responding to.

Of course i would feel pretty small then.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by sports_buff

Actually USD's men went to the Elite 8 twice in the 1990s.  Thats not having to go back too far, is it?
          I guess I will have to take your word for it as I was unable to find any records that the NCAA keeps at the D-II level for Elite 8s.  Maybe you went and I blocked it out of my memory.  

Buff and Mav, since you have such a keen interest in NCAA D-II history, let me give you a quick lesson.  NCAA D-II National Championships.  UNO and USD combined don't have as many NCAA D-II Championships as SDSU.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/champs_listing2.html

NCAA D-II National Championships

SDSU - 8
          UNO - 5
          USD - 2

Now that we have moved up a division, I am sure given some time, you may catch up.

Go State!  ;D

Comment

In my research I have made my way through the mid 60's now and still no football championship? ? Only one 9 win season and only one 8 win season so far. The way you guys talk, I assumed you had a rich history in football. Looks very average to me.

89 of those 8 national championships that you have won... none of those are Cross Country are they? You really don't think that is a real sport do you? If have seen ESPN show every sport under the sun. But I don't recall ever seeing cross country on there. Hey, but you do have the coveted : : Dakota Marker that every wishes they could have : : At least you have one football trophy in that old barren football trophy case.

Mavs#1

Comment

You know, it's funny. I used to respect UNO's football and athletic teams. They were absolute toilet water when I first became a Jackrabbit. Morningside used to look forward to playing them. Then, they start picking themselves up and vie for the league title on a yearly basis. That's pretty impressive. However, thanks to two idiots who constantly feel the need to belittle a program that is no longer a) in their state b) in their division or c) in their conference or d) relevant to their athletic endeavors, I will now openly root for their failure. I'm sure your AD and school president would be proud.

I can't say anything about USD because I've always openly rooted for their failure. It's pretty much engrained in you if you go to either SDSU, USD or Augie. That's why I can't really get too upset with Sports Buff. He can't help but be anti-SDSU any more than I can't help but be anti-USD. The two idiots from UNO are just that, idiots. And, obviously they don't have a hobby, or a family, or a job...
              "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Mavs D-II,

Only want to count Revenue Sports (Football and Basketball) that is fine then in breaks down:

NCAA D-II Championships in Football or Basketball

SDSU - 2
                USD - 1
                UNO - 0

Go State! ;D

P.S. SDSU has 14 NCC Football Championships, how many does UNO have?

Comment

Nice analysis by MJA. As for buffs point about elite 8 appearances, no one except a few of the most dedicated fans and alumni of a DII school even knows who won a DII championship in any sport. DII matters only to those who are DII and barely matters then. Thats just the facts.

SD deserves a DI team and SDSU has made that a reality. Trying to assign failure already on the basis of previous performance at the DII level is stupid, but obviously not below the moronic. You should know better buff. The DI argument has 2 sides, that is clear, but neither involves 2 idiots from UNO or an ardent supporter of the yotes. Comment all you like but whats done is done.

An institution with greater aspirations than either UNO or USD has left the ever decaying DII ranks for the potential offered at the DI level. Its a big risk with the potential for a big reward. I like that, I live that, and I suspect you wish you did to. Not everyone can run with the big dogs boys. Good luck in the kiddie pool.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Mavs#1 :

- are you trying to tell me that since SDSU's football program in D-II was just "average" and the last time they won a national championship was a while ago. does this mean they shouldnt have gone D-I? becuase if thats what your saying... im going to bring up this and all your "National Championship Talk" what do you think about San Diego State... im pretty sure they could whoop SDSU, USD, and UNO, i think we can all agree on that.. well i looked up their D-II national championships from when they were D-II and this is what i found.

San Diego State *

Total NCAA Team Championships: 7
                    men's championships: 7
                    women's championships: 0

Breakdown by Sport:
                    men's cross country: 3
                    men's swimming & diving: 2
                    men's outdoor track & field: 2

oh wait... i guess since San Diego State hasnt EVER won a national championship in football. this probally means that USD&UNO is better and they could beat them since they have won football championships before. YEAH RIGHT.

Comment

I think they have a few more people and $$$$ in CA to support D1 athletics. Does San Diego State rely on its city facilites???? I doubt it.

Comment

im not saying San Diego State couldnt support it.. im saying Sand Diego State never won a national championship in football. Mavs is just making it seem that going D-I is ALL about how good your athletic programs are.

(and about San Diego State using city facilities, yes they do... QualCom Stadium is a city built facility... the Chargers, Aztecs,and the Padres used to use it before they built Petco. )

Comment

I wish the NCC would have moved to DI as a conference. That would have made the change in divisions more cost effective for all teams. The Minnesota teams may have jumped to the NSIC. I am not a huge hockey fan, and would rather see UNO move all sports to DI, than just have DI hockey. I know Omaha has a rich hockey tradition with the Knights and Lancers, but college hockey just doesn't cut it for me. Bring in UNI, SIU, Montana for a great football game instead.

Comment

Originally posted by UNO Maverick
                            I wish the NCC would have moved to DI as a conference.  That would have made the change in divisions more cost effective for all teams.  The Minnesota teams may have jumped to the NSIC.  I am not a huge hockey fan, and would rather see UNO move all sports to DI, than just have DI hockey.  I know Omaha has a rich hockey tradition with the Knights and Lancers, but college hockey just doesn't cut it for me.  Bring in UNI, SIU, Montana for a great football game instead.
                            My understanding (all second hand) is that the NCAA was/is not interested in any "new" conferences entering DI. Therefore, the NCC moving up, part or as a whole, was never an option.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd

My understanding (all second hand) is that the NCAA was/is not interested in any "new" conferences entering DI.  Therefore, the NCC moving up, part or as a whole, was never an option.
                              Then what about the current conference SDSU is in for football?

Comment

Originally posted by UNO Maverick

Then what about the current conference SDSU is in for football?
                                This conference was created to ensure football scheduling for those teams. Making it a conference allows for championships and awards for the players. I cannot imagine the NCAA would not support it.
                                We...ARE...STATE!
                                SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Working...
                                X