• Show
Clear All

• Re: South Dakota State at Youngstown State

Too bad they don't sell pie.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
      Don't let it bother you, it's just a billboard. I find them rather funny. I believe any publicity for both instituion's and their athletics program is good and is needed.
      As long as USD is paying for our publicity...I have no problem with that and I otherwise ignore the billboards. I will, however, be upset if SDSU responds with a billboard. Let USD have its fun with its billboard idea.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        As long as USD is paying for our publicity...I have no problem with that and I otherwise ignore the billboards. I will, however, be upset if SDSU responds with a billboard. Let USD have its fun with its billboard idea.
        It would be kind of fun however to have a bilboard next to it that said "Stuck with StUpiD --->"

Comment

• Re: USD "Keep it Classy" Campaign

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
          2. It is false to say there are no Summit rivalries. SDSU-NDSU is an intense rivalry that has intensified since they were the first two Dakota schools to go D-1. The point in bold is THE indisputable fact in any rivalry discussion then, now, or in the future.
          Its easy to talk about, its easy to sum it up when you just talk about "who went first." I mean listen, we talkin bout "who went first." Not a "rivalry", not a "rivalry", not a "rivalry". We talkin bout "who went first." Not a "rivalry", not a, not a, not the "rivalry" that "student/atheltes" go out there and die for, and play every "rivalry" game like its "their" last. Not the "rivalry". We talkin' bout "who went first", man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout "who went first." I know that, and I'm not shovin' it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know its important, I do. I honestly do. But we talkin' bout "who went first", man. What are we talkin' bout? "Who went first?" We talkin' bout "who went first" man. We talk... We talkin' bout "who went first." We talkin' bout "who went first." We ain't talkin' bout the "rivalry", we talkin' bout "who went first", man. When you come into the DakotaDome/CAS, and you see me play, you see me play, don't you? You see me give everything I got, right? But we talkin' bout "who went first" right now. We talkin' bout "who went first." Man look, I hear you, its funny to me too. I mean, its strange, its strange to me too. But we talkin' bout "who went first." We not even talkin' bout the "rivalry", the actual "rivalry", when it matters. We talkin' bout "who went first."[/QUOTE]

OK then, I'm a little confused... Who's on third?

Comment

Originally posted by UTH View Post
            Its easy to talk about, its easy to sum it up when you just talk about "who went first." I mean listen, we talkin bout "who went first." Not a "rivalry", not a "rivalry", not a "rivalry". We talkin bout "who went first." Not a "rivalry", not a, not a, not the "rivalry" that "student/atheltes" go out there and die for, and play every "rivalry" game like its "their" last. Not the "rivalry". We talkin' bout "who went first", man. I mean how silly is that? We talkin' bout "who went first." I know that, and I'm not shovin' it aside, you know, like it don't mean anything. I know its important, I do. I honestly do. But we talkin' bout "who went first", man. What are we talkin' bout? "Who went first?" We talkin' bout "who went first" man. We talk... We talkin' bout "who went first." We talkin' bout "who went first." We ain't talkin' bout the "rivalry", we talkin' bout "who went first", man. When you come into the DakotaDome/CAS, and you see me play, you see me play, don't you? You see me give everything I got, right? But we talkin' bout "who went first" right now. We talkin' bout "who went first." Man look, I hear you, its funny to me too. I mean, its strange, its strange to me too. But we talkin' bout "who went first." We not even talkin' bout the "rivalry", the actual "rivalry", when it matters. We talkin' bout "who went first."

OK then, I'm a little confused... Who's on third?
            By Jove, I think 'e's got it!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The whole billboard thing is just USD trying to rejuvinate a rivalry that they were not good enough to even try to maintain. Now that our main rival has been NDSU the last few years some of the our younger students don't have any real idea about the old SDSU/USD rivalry so the coyotes had to put out some billboards to try to "spice things up again", and perhaps sell some tickets to their home games for basketball games. That would be the only reason for putting up the billboard so far in advance.

Comment

Once thing that caught my attention is that during the SDSU chat vs. Youngstown there wasn't one mention of the USD vs. SUU game. Not one(at least that I can remember). All the comments were talking about NDSU vs. MSU and NDSU fans were following the chat as well.

SDSU looks at NDSU as their rival right now because of the recent games against them. I think that might change when USD finally starts playing SDSU again, but for the time being it's NDSU.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  Once thing that caught my attention is that during the SDSU chat vs. Youngstown there wasn't one mention of the USD vs. SUU game. Not one(at least that I can remember). All the comments were talking about NDSU vs. MSU and NDSU fans were following the chat as well.

SDSU looks at NDSU as their rival right now because of the recent games against them. I think that might change when USD finally starts playing SDSU again, but for the time being it's NDSU.
                  This, and USD has to earn its way back into the rivalry by being competitive, which it will get a chance to prove soon enough.

Comment

I think it is sooooo awesome that in your mind NDSU is your big rival now. We don't want to be your "so called rival", we just want to put another W in the column. That's it. It will be much easier to beat SDSU than it will be some of the other teams in our league right now. I have no preconcieved notions that the Summit League, or the Missouri Valley is going to be easy. In fact, quite the opposite. I know how tough it is going to be. But to elevate yourselves amongst the elite of the league is laughable. NDSU will rip you apart this year. The "so called rival" will have this one in the bag at half. The reason? You just aren't very good this year. That's it. Pure and simple. You have 2-3 Bison posters that come on this board and prop up your insisitence on NDSU/SDSU is a big rival, but if you are honest with yourself, and go to their board, 99% of them think you are nothing more than another game, just like you were in the NCC days.

You know what caught my attention on USD's chat board during the game? Nothing, because I was at the game. That and the fact we have a mostly inactive fan board posting, but there really isn't any discussion about SDSU either. Well yes there is...I forgot there was some discussion on the volleyball match the other night. Pardon me.

Regarding the whole billboard deal, all this has really proved is that the typical SDSU fan can't take a joke. That's it. We were not going to do it again, but given the fact you all have acted so dramatically, I think we will. It's worth the reaction we got.

Now that I have given you something to rebut, answer me one question? next November, will the majority of your season ticket holders be at the game, or pheasant hunting? I am betting on hunting. In fact, we may have more fans at the game than you. Just a thought to spark another debate.

FWIW...........and I mean this in all candor, good win last weekend in Youngstown. I think it was impressive. (ended with no smack)

Comment

You obviously hold some fealings toward the rivalry or else you would not be so fired up about the NDSU rivalry. We get them at home this year and although we statred out with a rough start I believe we will be getting enough players back from injury and ou younger player will have gained enough experience to at least give NDSU a run for thier money. I think Northern Iowa this weekendd will be the first priority, and a good showing will only add to our confidence going forward. I know the coyotes had a good half a season so far but I'm not putting them in the upper half of the Mo. Valley yet. You kind of have get here first. I think the end of this season and the off season willl put us in better shape for the start of next season and I hope to see alot of USD fans come for the game. They can help fund our new stadium project, but at any rate it will be great to have the opportunity to beat you guys again.(smack)

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                        I think it is sooooo awesome that in your mind NDSU is your big rival now. We don't want to be your "so called rival", we just want to put another W in the column.
                        OK YFE, a few thoughts for you on who SDSU's rival is, since you (and other fans of your school) desperately want it to be USD:

In football, the rivalry between SDSU and USD dimmed in the last 15 years that we faced each other before SDSU moved to D-I (the Jacks were 12-3 over the Yotes in our in-state competition. The rivalry died the day SDSU made the move, and USD decided to stay in D-2 as the Harvard of the Plains...we didn't play anymore...hard to be a rivalry. In the meantime, NDSU was always on our radar as a team we wished to be good enough to beat. When we both moved to D-I, that materialized (magically maybe?) and that has sparked a true rivalry. They want to beat us, and we want to beat them -- more so than any other teams on our schedule.

So if it will please you, I can say that with resumption of competition, we will have two rivalry's going: the Dakota Maker battle for interstate competition, and the in-state competition. A lot of SDSU fans have come to enjoy the NDSU rivalry more because it has been a little classier and we both share a land-grant philosophy (that's FARMERS to you probably), and a lot of us are tired of the elitist attitude of our sister institution ("we're not going D-I because we are going to concentrate on academics, not athletics" quote from the USD president, and the "South Dakota's Team" dream, and THE University...and I'll leave it at that). I'm not sure where USD will get another rival besides SDSU (naturally the smaller school always wants to beat the larger school, so I understand your angle there). Maybe UND or UNO...I don't know. Since we will now resume competition, I will await how it is conducted before making any conclusions.

One thing about right now though. USD has a good football team this year (I know fellow SDSU fans...this is the smack section, so I'm out of line!) Would USD beat SDSU this year...no one will ever know. So the first test is a year away, and I for one, appreciate your thoughtful funding of advertising to fill our stadium next year! The 6,000 more fans that will be here as compared to the 10,000 (??) at USD, totals about $108,000 more in gate money for us and we thank you for that. Have a final fun year in the Great West (ohh, wait, when we won the Great West, it wasn't a real conference, some USD critics said). See you next year at Coughlin Alumni Stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          I think it is sooooo awesome that in your mind NDSU is your big rival now. We don't want to be your "so called rival", we just want to put another W in the column. That's it. It will be much easier to beat SDSU than it will be some of the other teams in our league right now. I have no preconcieved notions that the Summit League, or the Missouri Valley is going to be easy. In fact, quite the opposite. I know how tough it is going to be. But to elevate yourselves amongst the elite of the league is laughable. NDSU will rip you apart this year. The "so called rival" will have this one in the bag at half. The reason? You just aren't very good this year. That's it. Pure and simple. You have 2-3 Bison posters that come on this board and prop up your insisitence on NDSU/SDSU is a big rival, but if you are honest with yourself, and go to their board, 99% of them think you are nothing more than another game, just like you were in the NCC days.

You know what caught my attention on USD's chat board during the game? Nothing, because I was at the game. That and the fact we have a mostly inactive fan board posting, but there really isn't any discussion about SDSU either. Well yes there is...I forgot there was some discussion on the volleyball match the other night. Pardon me.

Regarding the whole billboard deal, all this has really proved is that the typical SDSU fan can't take a joke. That's it. We were not going to do it again, but given the fact you all have acted so dramatically, I think we will. It's worth the reaction we got.

Now that I have given you something to rebut, answer me one question? next November, will the majority of your season ticket holders be at the game, or pheasant hunting? I am betting on hunting. In fact, we may have more fans at the game than you. Just a thought to spark another debate.

FWIW...........and I mean this in all candor, good win last weekend in Youngstown. I think it was impressive. (ended with no smack)
                          I know you are just smacking with this line, but come on! You know that won't be the case. I plan to buy as many tickets as they allot to me as a season ticketholder so that I can just sell them to my friends who are not season ticketholders to ensure that less tickets are available for usd fans. I plan to encourage others to do the same. Although I doubt that many usd fans will actually go. They like indoor football.

A better plan, and I hope the AD looks into this, would be to require fans to purchase tickets to two games, the USD game and another home SDSU game, to get the USD ticket. That way, USD fans would have to purchase a ticket to another SDSU game just to get in. I like that idea.*

*Totally for smack purposes, I wouldn't want this to actually happen because those seats then wouldn't be available to SDSU fans for that other game. Just thought it might be a good way to squeeze more money from usd fans.
                          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            OK YFE, a few thoughts for you on who SDSU's rival is, since you (and other fans of your school) desperately want it to be USD:

In football, the rivalry between SDSU and USD dimmed in the last 15 years that we faced each other before SDSU moved to D-I (the Jacks were 12-3 over the Yotes in our in-state competition. The rivalry died the day SDSU made the move, and USD decided to stay in D-2 as the Harvard of the Plains...we didn't play anymore...hard to be a rivalry. In the meantime, NDSU was always on our radar as a team we wished to be good enough to beat. When we both moved to D-I, that materialized (magically maybe?) and that has sparked a true rivalry. They want to beat us, and we want to beat them -- more so than any other teams on our schedule.

So if it will please you, I can say that with resumption of competition, we will have two rivalry's going: the Dakota Maker battle for interstate competition, and the in-state competition. A lot of SDSU fans have come to enjoy the NDSU rivalry more because it has been a little classier and we both share a land-grant philosophy (that's FARMERS to you probably), and a lot of us are tired of the elitist attitude of our sister institution ("we're not going D-I because we are going to concentrate on academics, not athletics" quote from the USD president, and the "South Dakota's Team" dream, and THE University...and I'll leave it at that). I'm not sure where USD will get another rival besides SDSU (naturally the smaller school always wants to beat the larger school, so I understand your angle there). Maybe UND or UNO...I don't know. Since we will now resume competition, I will await how it is conducted before making any conclusions.

One thing about right now though. USD has a good football team this year (I know fellow SDSU fans...this is the smack section, so I'm out of line!) Would USD beat SDSU this year...no one will ever know. So the first test is a year away, and I for one, appreciate your thoughtful funding of advertising to fill our stadium next year! The 6,000 more fans that will be here as compared to the 10,000 (??) at USD, totals about $108,000 more in gate money for us and we thank you for that. Have a final fun year in the Great West (ohh, wait, when we won the Great West, it wasn't a real conference, some USD critics said). See you next year at Coughlin Alumni Stadium.
                            First of all, I am not certain what you read in my post. I said I don't care about being your rivalry (and I don't), I just want the W (and I do). So how that gets translated into ME and my fellow USD fans "desperately" wanting to be your rival, I don't know. If you had ever read my posts from time ago, I personally wanted to play in the Big Sky, and if I could change that I would today.

I will assume that SDSU was 12-3 the previous 15 meetings since you said so, but how does that tarnish or diminish the rivalry? Prior to that, USD owned the series from 70-86. I don't believe that it was diminished yet in your eyes. However I do understand how it could diminish when you went D-1 first ( as I have said countless times.........LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY WAS FIRST IN GOING D-1.) and we didn't play. Probably to bad for you since you may have had a few more W's in your column.

I am not an elitist, I am the furthest thing from it. You have never heard me call you FARMERS or anything else that would indicate something derogatory about the ag industry. Never. In fact, I have never heard anyone from USD make any sort of stupid remarks along those lines. If any school fanbase acts like elitists, it is yours, not ours. I am amazed at the number of times you get backed into a corner, and the defense to it is "well, we were D-1 first". In the whole scheme of things, who really gives a crap? You do. So the All-Time record in going first is SDSU 1 USD 0. Series closed. You win that one.

I don't honestly know if anyone gave you crap about the Great West Conference or not. I didn't, and that's all I will stand by.

Regarding our team this year vs. SDSU if we played? I have no idea who would win. In games of this nature, you can throw out the records. I haven't been on here gloating about that, so why would you bring it up? It must be in your mind. I personally think it would be one hell of a good game. I can't imagine how sore the guys would be after such a game.

Not sure where the smaller school/bigger school angle got interpretted from my post, but whatever. Are there some USD fans that are alittle off base? Yep. Are there SDSU fans that are a little off base? Yep. I have heard the angle that SDSU fans sat in an arena as USD students dropped the F-bomb all over the place. Yeah, that's wrong. Can an AD do something about it ( I am not certain they can.....but given the fact I had no respect for our former AD I am not surprised he didn't do something). It's no different than what was said to my wife except it wasn't from students, it was from adults. Did your administration do anything about it? No, they just kinda chuckled and asked what do i expect wearing red clothes in Frost Arena. So don't give me this crap that poor behavior runs one way, I assure you it doesn't.

My personal wishes for the future are that we have great games, a great atmosphere, and a great deal of respect for each other, and let the best team win. Then the state of South dakota wins.

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                              I know you are just smacking with this line, but come on! You know that won't be the case. I plan to buy as many tickets as they allot to me as a season ticketholder so that I can just sell them to my friends who are not season ticketholders to ensure that less tickets are available for usd fans. I plan to encourage others to do the same. Although I doubt that many usd fans will actually go. They like indoor football.

A better plan, and I hope the AD looks into this, would be to require fans to purchase tickets to two games, the USD game and another home SDSU game, to get the USD ticket. That way, USD fans would have to purchase a ticket to another SDSU game just to get in. I like that idea.*

*Totally for smack purposes, I wouldn't want this to actually happen because those seats then wouldn't be available to SDSU fans for that other game. Just thought it might be a good way to squeeze more money from usd fans.
                              Was I just smacking? Yep. But think about it KU guy, your fans have said over and over and over they don't regard it as a rival game. If it was say Deleware ( oh wait, that's your rival isn't it) or say Sacremento State, your fan base would be hunting. However, going against what the majority say on here, I am betting the farm that your stadium would be filled to the brim with Blue and Gold because it is a (drum roll please) RIVALRY GAME.

Regarding your proposal about ticket purchases I understand. You send us the token amount, and we'll have to fend for ourselves after that. Hell, i don't blame you. I would do the same thing. Actually, I would make the fans buy season tickets to get the uSD ticket. Your fan base would have a cow if Sells did that. I will tell you this, the AD at Iowa State prices the game at about 2.5 times the normal, and this year they had a record crowd. If you don't take advantage of this marketing opportunity, then you have no one else to blame. As like you, I will bust my ass to keep you out of the Dome in '13, so I fully ubderstand. As for USD fans not being there? Nice try. I bet there will be a large number of fans there even if there is no ticket just to tailgate and partake in the atmosphere. I know of 75+ former players plus half that amount of wives that are planning to come, as we already have a hotel in Sioux Falls booked and reserved.

And lastly, thanks for your post because it plays into exactly why I said the game needed to happen for the past several years. It is an economic boon to the host school. That's the benefit of the renewed game.

Comment

Do consecutive lengthy posts in a smack section constitute self-smack? Did YF just smack himself?

Comment

Working...
                                X