Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USD "Keep it Classy" Campaign

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Insecurity, I don't think I've ever been described as insecure but I'll consider it.

Did you mean I'm insecure because I don't embrace the resumption of rivalry that lacks mutual respect? If that is the case then you are spot on.

1. Now you have been.

2. No

Comment

I would like to take a wait and see attitude about all of this. USD's billboard was primarily a shot across the bow of its own fans, challenging them to get excited. I suppose if it got us talking, that was just gravy for them. I think maybe it would have been enough to place one around Sioux Falls since USD has essentially zero fans in Brookings, but I still can't get that worked up about that. It's just marketing. And the placement served to get the media's attention, which again served the purpose of firing up USD fans.

Let's see what happens. One of the essential ingredients towards creating a more respectful rivalry is for everyone (including us) to learn to let the past go and try turn the other cheek. No doubt somebody will insult somebody else. Some USD fan will wear an inappropriate t-shirt. Some SDSU fan will holler "Screw the U". Maybe one side or the other will push it too far. When those things become contests to one-up each other, then you have a problem.

I can't control anything other than what's in front of me. I can control my behavior. I can control how I react to things. It's not my problem to get USD fans in line. That's up to USD fans and administrators. But we can try to influence how our own fans and students behave. I would hate to lose the Summit Sportsmanship Award next year because we couldn't resist counterpunching USD fans. And wouldn't it be great if USD set out to take the Sportsmanship Award away.

Bottom line: Forget the billboard, it's meaningless. Start fresh and see what happens. Above all, avoid getting in an arms race with opposing fans to see who can push the envelope farther. As we all know from grade school: The only way to beat a bully is to ignore him, no matter what he does.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        I would like to take a wait and see attitude about all of this. USD's billboard was primarily a shot across the bow of its own fans, challenging them to get excited. I suppose if it got us talking, that was just gravy for them. I think maybe it would have been enough to place one around Sioux Falls since USD has essentially zero fans in Brookings, but I still can't get that worked up about that. It's just marketing. And the placement served to get the media's attention, which again served the purpose of firing up USD fans.

Let's see what happens. One of the essential ingredients towards creating a more respectful rivalry is for everyone (including us) to learn to let the past go and try turn the other cheek. No doubt somebody will insult somebody else. Some USD fan will wear an inappropriate t-shirt. Some SDSU fan will holler "Screw the U". Maybe one side or the other will push it too far. When those things become contests to one-up each other, then you have a problem.

I can't control anything other than what's in front of me. I can control my behavior. I can control how I react to things. It's not my problem to get USD fans in line. That's up to USD fans and administrators. But we can try to influence how our own fans and students behave. I would hate to lose the Summit Sportsmanship Award next year because we couldn't resist counterpunching USD fans. And wouldn't it be great if USD set out to take the Sportsmanship Award away.

Bottom line: Forget the billboard, it's meaningless. Start fresh and see what happens. Above all, avoid getting in an arms race with opposing fans to see who can push the envelope farther. As we all know from grade school: The only way to beat a bully is to ignore him, no matter what he does.
        Well said and I agree with what you have offered in this post.

Comment

This thread has basically broken down to some personal attacks (see, e.g. post #211...usdfbalum, you're directing your comments at one person, that's 10 yards and loss of a down around these parts. We like our smack to include an attempt at humor.)

Ready to stick a fork in this thread? Best way to vote is to let this thread just fade away.

And, under one accepted theory in advertising "there's no such thing as bad advertising", looks like yesterday's TOB announcement gained more attention -- for no out-of-pocket dollar cost -- than all the billboards in South Dakota.

Comment

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
            1. Now you have been.

2. No
            Duly noted.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Well, we can settle this argument this spring on the baseball diamond as both schools are now in the Sum--

oh... wait...

never mind.
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                Well, we can settle this argument this spring on the baseball diamond as both schools are now in the Sum--

oh... wait...

never mind.
                Points for you. That's GOOD SMACK. I like it. And you're right. TOB doesn't pitch, does he?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  Points for you. That's GOOD SMACK. I like it. And you're right. TOB doesn't pitch, does he?
                  Actually, I believe he was 12 - 0 as a start his senior year in HS while hitting over .370

Comment

• Re: South Dakota State at Youngstown State

Just heard that another billboard will be going up outside of Brookings...soon. It will say "Bring it Bunny!". I am a little surprised that Lawrence and Schiller would get involved with this...especially given the tone of the ad campaign. You'd think that it might have an adverse effect on business...if you made the wrong person mad.

Comment

Originally posted by Grape Ape View Post
                      Just heard that another billboard will be going up outside of Brookings...soon. It will say "Bring it Bunny!". I am a little surprised that Lawrence and Schiller would get involved with this...especially given the tone of the ad campaign. You'd think that it might have an adverse effect on business...if you made the wrong person mad.
                      I think you got this post in the wrong thread. I don't see any corelation with YSU vs SDSU Game.

I am hoping we can pull this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Grape Ape View Post
                        This sounds like BS. I don't think Lawrence and Schiller would be that classless. This is the kind of stuff that drunken frat rejects would come up with 3 a.m. after failing a math test and drinking too much cheap Pabst Blue Ribbon. (My apologies to Pabst!)

P.S.: I personally preferred Schlitz in such situations.
                        Last edited by Jacked_Up; 10-06-2011, 04:07 PM.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          This sounds like BS. I don't think Lawrence and Schiller would be that classless. This is the kind of stuff that drunken frat rejects would come up with 3 a.m. after failing a math test and drinking too much cheap Pabst Blue Ribbon. (My apologies to Pabst!)

P.S.: I personally preferred Schlitz in such situations.
                          Don't let it bother you, it's just a billboard. I find them rather funny. I believe any publicity for both instituion's and their athletics program is good and is needed.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

SDSU-USD.jpg

Thanks, Coyotes! We'll use that money we saved to get another recruit out from under your nose!
                            I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]311[/ATTACH]

Thanks, Coyotes! We'll use that money we saved to get another recruit out from under your nose!
                              wow, hotdogs are $4.50?
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                wow, hotdogs are $4.50?

I know because at the ISU-B vs SDSU game, I was en route to Nicks burger's to get a couple when they shut the thing down as I was approaching, WITH SIX MINUTES LEFT IN THE 3RD QUARTER.

Can't they at least stay open through 3 quarters?

So I ended up with a dog.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X