Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fired Coaches

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
    My thoughts exactly. The sooner Minnesota boosters/fans realize they haven't been an elite football/basketball program for decades, the sooner they actually do the things necessary to become a top 25 program. The football stadium is a great first step, but I get the feeling they slap their hands together and say "now that that's done, it should be a given we will contend."

IMO, the biggest problem with the Gophers is that they think they are relevant but underachieving. The reality is they aren't relevant and are doing about as good as an unbiased observer would expect.

The funny thing is, even if they do get Smart or another up and comer who miraculously turns the program around, they will bolt at the first offer from a real top 25 program - practice facility or not.

I have a Gopher friend who likes to say Nebraska is where basketball coaches go to die... I just shake my head. Pot calling kettle black.
    Nebraska has really upped their program, Nebraska is a better job, better facilities, money similar and less pressure.

People will say Minnesota is the 7th or 8th best job. I look at it as slightly above Northwestern and Penn State, which makes it 10th now, and 11th with Maryland coming in.

Comment

I think MN finally has the admin in place that can take basketball to the next level, their AD and associate AD are basketball first people who are deeply connected in the DI coaching community. I think they saw what I at least I saw and that was Tubby just didn't have that fire in his belly that a coach at a place like MN needs to win at a high level. You need a high energy guy like Tim Miles to win at a school like that. MN isn't a place like Kentucky that has a huge diehard fanbase and recruiting sells itself.

I'm very excited to see what Tim is going to do at Nebraska now that they have given him anything he could ever dream of having..new practice facility, new arena and his own private plane.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        I think MN finally has the admin in place that can take basketball to the next level, their AD and associate AD are basketball first people who are deeply connected in the DI coaching community. I think they saw what I at least I saw and that was Tubby just didn't have that fire in his belly that a coach at a place like MN needs to win at a high level. You need a high energy guy like Tim Miles to win at a school like that. MN isn't a place like Kentucky that has a huge diehard fanbase and recruiting sells itself.

I'm very excited to see what Tim is going to do at Nebraska now that they have given him anything he could ever dream of having..new practice facility, new arena and his own private plane.
        The thing is Tubby recruited fine, ESPN 1500 was talking about him being a 90's coach, (people said the same thing about Nagy) a guy who was hard on the kids, who worked them, who didn't necessarily connect with them, more the drill instructor/Bob Knight guy. Tough love, etc. And how some coaches (Nagy) have had to change a little from that to adapt to my generation. We are soft and today's 18 year olds are much softer then I was and I'm 25. We got participation trophies and 7th place medals (when there was 7 teams). We all got similar playing time, and were told we were going to go pro (even if we stunk). Now that is me, and I am a terrible athlete, can you imagine a top level recruit, a guy who could do no wrong his entire life, going to a coach who is hard on them?

Its sounds like Tubby just had some problems with adapting, I wouldn't say his recruitment was bad, because for the most part he recruited quite well. His biggest fall was he never had anyone improve. Some of that may have been the type of guys he was recruiting (partying rather then practicing), but some of that ultimately ends up on the coaches back as well.

As for their AD, I've heard good things about him, but again if you can find a booster to write 1 $2.5 million check, you should have nicer facilities and a private jet for your coaching staff. Josh Pastner who was on the short list has signed a new extension at Memphis, its rumored that Shaka is working on one. Chris Collins seems to be a name floating around, but he is the front runner at Northwestern.

Any idea how to track the Minnesota private jet?

Comment

Fmr Duke player Bobby Hurley has been named the Head Coach at Buffalo. He had been serving as an assistant at Rhode Island. I believe SDSU is scheduled to play Buffalo next season.

Comment

Jeff Goodman says he has a hunch that Andy Enfield will get the Minnesota job.
            "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Shaka Smart has agreed to stay at VCU

The rumor mill is Gophers will make run at Brad Stevens and Cincinnati coach Mike Cronin. Also hearing they will make run at Marquette Coach Buzz Williams who was suspended 1 game earlier this year for actions of an assistant. I'd be shocked if they had the money for any of those 3. The other big name would be Fred Hoiberg, the mayor I mean HC in Ames. I'd be shocked if he would leave, ISU is a similar job and he and his wife are from there, and the rumors are if he went anywhere it would be the NBA to coach. The name that keeps being brought up is Alabama HC Anthony Grant.

The name I've heard mentioned a little, but nothing major is fmr. IPFW coach and current Izzo assistant Dane Fife. Have heard he will be offered the Ball State job, but the gophers might have interest as well.

Rumors around UCLA is that they will go after NC-State coach Mark Gottfried, but he wouldn't last 3 years there with his tract record. I told my friend who goes to Law School there to go around campus and say you heard they were going to hire Dane Fife to see if anyone started reporting that. Kareem Adul-Jabar wants to be the HC but I don't think that is a good idea. My guess is they get Washington HC Lorenzo Romar to be their new HC.

Reports are Texas Tech got a 4 star commit late last night/early this morning so speculation is interim HC Chris Walker will keep his job. Notables who had been interviewed include ORU HC Scott Sutton and fmr. Nebraska HC and current SID at Kansas Doc Sadler

Drake has hired Gonzaga assistant and former Utah coach Ray Giacoletti to be their new head coach
              Last edited by joeboo22; 03-28-2013, 12:12 PM.

Comment

People are not going to like this report

Tom Davis the sports editor for the News Sentinel is Fort Wayne said on twitter "word on the street is that Scott Nagy of South Dakota State is pleading his case w/Ball State today" Which in other words means he is interviewing.

I've heard from more then one person, though I can't confirm that he was spotted at the airport this morning

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  People are not going to like this report

Tom Davis the sports editor for the News Sentinel is Fort Wayne said on twitter "word on the street is that Scott Nagy of South Dakota State is pleading his case w/Ball State today" Which in other words means he is interviewing.

I've heard from more then one person, though I can't confirm that he was spotted at the airport this morning
                  Tom Davis must be a total failure in life. I consider most job interviews a two-way street, and take my time to interview the potential employer as well. Perhaps Ball State is pleading their case with Coach Nagy?

I think Nagy will stay, and I would imagine this gives him additional leverage for contract negotiations as well.

If he leaves, a replacement can be found.
                  LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                    Tom Davis must be a total failure in life. I consider most job interviews a two-way street, and take my time to interview the potential employer as well. Perhaps Ball State is pleading their case with Coach Nagy?

I think Nagy will stay, and I would imagine this gives him additional leverage for contract negotiations as well.

If he leaves, a replacement can be found.
                    "This person I don't know must be a failure because of how he phrased a tweet."
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Its not the greatest word, but for being on twitter I think its alright, if you use that phrase in print then its a different story. Twitter is a tricky medium for reporting. I'm not going to kill a guy for it.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        Its not the greatest word, but for being on twitter I think its alright, if you use that phrase in print then its a different story. Twitter is a tricky medium for reporting. I'm not going to kill a guy for it.
                        That's the way Stu Whitney would word his tweet as well. There is not doubt in my mind that Mr. Davis was slighting SDSU by minimizing our value compared to mighty Ball State. He is a d-bag.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                          That's the way Stu Whitney would word his tweet as well. There is not doubt in my mind that Mr. Davis was slighting SDSU by minimizing our value compared to mighty Ball State. He is a d-bag.
                          I don't know the guy, I saw it on twitter and posted it. Also saw on twitter someone claiming they saw Nagy at the airport. Wrong verb no doubt,

Whether Nagy has interviewed, is interviewing or is planning on interviewing I figured its news worthy. How the guy reporting it, is reporting it is beyond my control. Its a good job reports are they plan on going over $300K for the salary.

Thomas St. Myer the sports reporter in Muncie just posted that Ball State is using DHR international Inc. of Chicago to help them with their search.

Comment

TV just confirmed that Ball State is interested in Nagy. Said their coach last year made $215K

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                              TV just confirmed that Ball State is interested in Nagy. Said their coach last year made $215K
                              we can put all the Nagy stuff on the men's basketball thread because it is confirmed now. This can stay the place for all open positions.

Comment

Reports are Tubby Smith has been talking to Texas Tech for the head job. considering he got north of $3 million for his buyout at Minnesota when you factor in retirement and some other things, I thought he might take a year off.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...aiders-sources

Comment

Working...
                                X