Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fired Coaches

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I saw that, I'd be shocked if Shaka left for Minnesota, VCU and Minnesota are very similar types of job (as much as Goophers fans want to disagree). But Shaka does have ties to the AD and I believe is from Wisconsin.

Its been no secret that Flip Saunders wants the job, but I believe that him and Tubby were pretty good friends, and he hasn't recruited since the 80's.
    Shaka is from Wisconsin. He would leave VCU for the right opportunity at Minnesota. Not sure Gophers are ready to meet the expectation.

Flip would be a risk. Great name recognition, some success in the NBA, no recent DI experience.

Jay Wright from Villanova may be the guy. Those are the 3 names being tossed around by the close bystanders.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

It is official: Tubby turned out...replacement not identified yet. Goodman's blog:
      http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...t-at-minnesota

Comment

Yeah and they haven't done anything since I was in grade school and most of that officially never happened. Shaka Smart turned down Illinois which is a much better job then Minnesota. 3rd party sources have said Minnesota is the 2nd worse job in the Big 10, behind only Northwestern. Coach doesn't get a private jet, the practice facility that was promised when Tubby was hired has yet to be constructed. And the Barn needs renovating. No doubt its a better job in terms of quality of school, history, etc. But its a job with a ton more pressure, with very similar facilities and just a little more pay.

As for Flip recruiting, yes he has been, but its one thing to be unofficially recruiting some top level recruits in your back yard, its a totally different thing to be recruiting 3 and low 4 star recruits from across the country.
        So do those third party sources consider Minnesota worse than Penn State? Give me a break. Actually, Tubby is making several hundred thousand dollars a year more than Shaka is making in his new contract, when you figure Tubby gets to about $2 million in base and incentives, and the U of M could spend as much as $2.5 million to bail Tubby out of his contract.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
          So do those third party sources consider Minnesota worse than Penn State? Give me a break. Actually, Tubby is making several hundred thousand dollars a year more than Shaka is making in his new contract, when you figure Tubby gets to about $2 million in base and incentives, and the U of M could spend as much as $2.5 million to bail Tubby out of his contract.

Also there is no way Iowa is a better job than MN. Same goes for Nebraska, even though they are really investing in their hoops program.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            Also there is no way Iowa is a better job than MN. Same goes for Nebraska, even though they are really investing in their hoops program.
            Shaka would be great to have in the region but not so great for competitors' recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Shaka is from Wisconsin. He would leave VCU for the right opportunity at Minnesota. Not sure Gophers are ready to meet the expectation.

Flip would be a risk. Great name recognition, some success in the NBA, no recent DI experience.

Jay Wright from Villanova may be the guy. Those are the 3 names being tossed around by the close bystanders.
              Just saw a report that someone close to Jay Wright said he is not going to Minnesota. Another name being mentioned is Anthony Grant from Alabama,who beat the Jacks early in the season. Apparently there are some ties between him and the Gopher AD from his VCU days.

Comment

Rumors had been floating recently that a group of big $ boosters wanted Tubby gone . Apparently , one of them really wanted him gone - Pat Reusse is saying one booster wrote out a check for the entire $ 2.5 milllion buyout .

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                  Rumors had been floating recently that a group of big $ boosters wanted Tubby gone . Apparently , one of them really wanted him gone - Pat Reusse is saying one booster wrote out a check for the entire $ 2.5 milllion buyout .
                  I have a good friend that is a HUGE Gopher fan and a booster (not a HUGE booster but heh). He assures me Tubby was gone regardless of the outcome yesterday. That said, he has no idea who they have on the hook (if anybody). Someone should call and ask Sid.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I have a good friend that is a HUGE Gopher fan and a booster (not a HUGE booster but heh). He assures me Tubby was gone regardless of the outcome yesterday. That said, he has no idea who they have on the hook (if anybody). Someone should call and ask Sid.
                    Was that Denny Sanford by chance? Darren Wolfson said that Teague (MN AD) had a very productive meeting with him 2 weeks ago.

Comment

Sid is on full attack mode right now at the presser with Teague. The guy needs to retire.
                      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        Sid is on full attack mode right now at the presser with Teague. The guy needs to retire.
                        Sid needed to retire a decade ago.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

Sid asks questions people want to know about, and his institutional knowledge helps him press buttons that occasionally need to be pushed, though. You don't have to be liked to do your job. Better to have Sids than tweeters and provocateurs who don't do their homework and don't have context.

Comment

Sid is a riot, he is on KFGO Fargo on Sunday mornings. I love some of his responses. He might be an old fart, but good one at that. From this thread, I gather the love affair with Tubby is short lived. They could always bring back Clem Haskins and the staff of term paper writers and all would be well.

Comment

I'm not a Tubby fan, I don't think he is a top level coach. But at the same time I think its unrealistic the expectations Minnesota has with the facilities it gives the coach. The Barn is nice, Dinkytown is alright, Big 10 is nice, quality school, etc. But when you promise a practice facility when you hire a coach and when you fire him 6 years old it hasn't even been announced, there is a problem. When you don't have a private jet for your coach, when your recruiting budget isn't on par, its understandable why its hard to win there.

It would be as if Stig retires tomorrow, SDSU hires a new coach, announces a new practice facility and new football stadium and then in 6 years fires him for performance but the construction on the facilities hasn't even begun.

It is interesting that 1 booster can write a buy-out check but 10 boosters can't be found to write checks for a practice facility or private air for recruiting.

Comment

I'm not a Tubby fan, I don't think he is a top level coach. But at the same time I think its unrealistic the expectations Minnesota has with the facilities it gives the coach. The Barn is nice, Dinkytown is alright, Big 10 is nice, quality school, etc. But when you promise a practice facility when you hire a coach and when you fire him 6 years old it hasn't even been announced, there is a problem. When you don't have a private jet for your coach, when your recruiting budget isn't on par, its understandable why its hard to win there.

It would be as if Stig retires tomorrow, SDSU hires a new coach, announces a new practice facility and new football stadium and then in 6 years fires him for performance but the construction on the facilities hasn't even begun.

It is interesting that 1 booster can write a buy-out check but 10 boosters can't be found to write checks for a practice facility or private air for recruiting.
                                My thoughts exactly. The sooner Minnesota boosters/fans realize they haven't been an elite football/basketball program for decades, the sooner they actually do the things necessary to become a top 25 program. The football stadium is a great first step, but I get the feeling they slap their hands together and say "now that that's done, it should be a given we will contend."

IMO, the biggest problem with the Gophers is that they think they are relevant but underachieving. The reality is they aren't relevant and are doing about as good as an unbiased observer would expect.

The funny thing is, even if they do get Smart or another up and comer who miraculously turns the program around, they will bolt at the first offer from a real top 25 program - practice facility or not.

I have a Gopher friend who likes to say Nebraska is where basketball coaches go to die... I just shake my head. Pot calling kettle black.
                                Last edited by SF_Rabbit_Fan; 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM. Reason: clarity
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X