Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fired Coaches

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Sounds like Ben Howland of UCLA will be available - reports are that he is gone as of tomorrow.
    So . . . when Nagy goes to Ball State, we have a prime replacement candidate in Howland?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Nagy has a son that is a junior this year, correct? Cant see him leaving now.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        I thought my smilies would indicate my relative level of seriousness. I can not speak for others . . .
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I thought my smilies would indicate my relative level of seriousness. I can not speak for others . . .
          I wasnt replying to your post,. Just replying to anyone who thinks Nagy would leave this year. Youre smilies made sense to me

Comment

When offered a good job, with a good pay raise, all bets are off, and therefore I'm not going to get into the if Nagy is offered a job will he leave argument, because I'm not him, I don't know him, and therefore I don't know.

It is the fired/open jobs thread. I'm just reporting on an article written.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
              So . . . when Nagy goes to Ball State, we have a prime replacement candidate in Howland?
              In good olde SD dialect, U betcha. There are high schools in wherever Ball State is located that would love to have Nick on their team.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                In good olde SD dialect, U betcha. There are high schools in wherever Ball State is located that would love to have Nick on their team.
                I believe that Nick Nagy is a freshman at Ole Miss - I think its Tyler at Brookings High
                Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
                  I believe that Nick Nagy is a freshman at Ole Miss - I think its Tyler at Brookings High
                  There you go. I do get them mixed up. So thats where Nick hangs out now days.

Comment

So less then 24 hours after UCLA releases statement saying they have not fired Ben Howland, they have fired Ben Howland. Not exactly sure why you would release a statement saying you have not fired someone if you plan on doing so (in no real surprise) very shortly.

And just in Tubby Smith has been fired at Minnesota. 2 names that will be brought up is Flip Saunders (fmr, Skyforce, T-Wolves coach), and Shaka Smart whom their AD hired when he was at VCU.

Both these jobs have the pressure of a top 25 job with the facilities and benefits of a program much lower.
                    Last edited by joeboo22; 03-25-2013, 11:00 AM.

Comment

According to many sources , Tubby Smith is out as the Gophers coach and a new coach has verbally accepted the job. You would think it would be either Flip Saunders or Shaka Smart , who has ties from VCU to the new Gopher AD.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                        According to many sources , Tubby Smith is out as the Gophers coach and a new coach has verbally accepted the job. You would think it would be either Flip Saunders or Shaka Smart , who has ties from VCU to the new Gopher AD.
                        I saw that, I'd be shocked if Shaka left for Minnesota, VCU and Minnesota are very similar types of job (as much as Goophers fans want to disagree). But Shaka does have ties to the AD and I believe is from Wisconsin.

Its been no secret that Flip Saunders wants the job, but I believe that him and Tubby were pretty good friends, and he hasn't recruited since the 80's.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                          I saw that, I'd be shocked if Shaka left for Minnesota, VCU and Minnesota are very similar types of job (as much as Goophers fans want to disagree). But Shaka does have ties to the AD and I believe is from Wisconsin.

Its been no secret that Flip Saunders wants the job, but I believe that him and Tubby were pretty good friends, and he hasn't recruited since the 80's.
                          Acoording to reports from the Twin Cities , Flip has been recently seen at many of the high school games of Tyus Jones , Rashard Vaughn and Reid Travis who are all top 10 recruits in the nation in the current junior class. Duke,Kentucky Michigan State and most of the other big-time college programs are hard after them. It almosts seems like Flip was already recruiting.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post

Disagree. Minnesota plays in the Big 10, top-ranked conference, which has four teams in the Sweet 16. VCU plays in the A-10, decent conference, but only one in Sweet 16 and seventh-ranked conference. And Minnesota has a more storied basketball tradition than VCU.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                              Disagree. Minnesota plays in the Big 10, top-ranked conference, which has four teams in the Sweet 16. VCU plays in the A-10, decent conference, but only one in Sweet 16 and seventh-ranked conference. And Minnesota has a more storied basketball tradition than VCU.
                              Yeah and they haven't done anything since I was in grade school and most of that officially never happened. Shaka Smart turned down Illinois which is a much better job then Minnesota. 3rd party articles have stated Minnesota is the 2nd worse job in the Big 10, behind only Northwestern. Coach doesn't get a private jet, the practice facility that was promised when Tubby was hired has yet to be constructed. And the Barn needs renovating. No doubt its a better job in terms of quality of school, history, etc. But its a job with a ton more pressure, with very similar facilities and just a little more pay.

As for Flip recruiting, yes he has been, but its one thing to be unofficially recruiting some top level recruits in your back yard, its a totally different thing to be recruiting 3 and low 4 star recruits from across the country.
                              Last edited by joeboo22; 03-25-2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                                I've known executives who work in one city while their family lives in another. One guy commuted from Toronto to California with a salary comparable to a college coach (company paid travel, though).

Not saying that applies to this or any other college coaching situation, but it wouldn't be unprecedented.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X