Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fred Oien retiring

Originally posted by sdalumni View Post
    Again, for those that don't agree with my earlier posts of something going on with Fred and his retirement, I would say this does not seem right. State employees can accumulate a max of 240 hours = 6weeks vacation. Considering he is no longer employed his vacation will not run through April. I know many of you think this is common, however why bring in an interim at this time. As I also understand Fred has been asked to not be on campus. Things just don't add up.
    Actually, an employeed who has been with the state over 15 years as Dr. Oien has can accumulate 320 hours of leave. Add to that the 40 additional hours that he will earn during the next almost three months (you earn leave while taking leave) and Martin Luther King Day, President's Day and perhaps Good Friday afternoon and you are very close to the having enough days to cover the time between Monday and early April In addition, it is highly likely that he has agreed to spend a few days with Dr. Hellickson going over administrative procedures etc. Add it all up and the the totals are just about right.

Comment

I do understand there are different types of leave at SDSU. I don't want to argue hours of leave. I will agree that Fred was intramental in SDSU moving to DI. I think in the long term it may be a good thing especially with the great support of our alumni and boosters who have stepped up to the plate. I do however have a hard time with those that think Fred was the best thing for the University and more or less putting him on a pedestal. I feel as a head of a DI Athletic Department he has had trouble representing himself and the department in a positive manner. I do think it was a great time for Fred to retire and I am sure with the search committee that has been established they will bring in someone that can continue the course Fred has set.

Comment

Considering he is no longer employed his vacation will not run through April. I know many of you think this is common, however why bring in an interim at this time. As I also understand Fred has been asked to not be on campus. Things just don't add up.
        I don't know all the specifics of regental system, and JJ has covered most of it, but taking leave prior to a resignation does not mean his is no longer employed by SDSU. And during this time he is likely accruing more vacation and or leave that can be used, likely that he would only get a day two at the most because of the short time, but from everything that has been reported his retirement is effective in April. That would be when his employment ends.

As for why they named the interim AD now, it is because it is common practice in large organizations that when a high level executive is leaving on their own accord, that the interim is named several months prior to the effective date so that the transition can go more smoothly. The out-going ex. is still able to be available to confirm or deny discussions that have occurred without side entities (and sometimes promises that were made to inside parties as well), to help explain why certain things are done in the manner they are, and to help pass on the institutional knowledge from the out-going to the interim so that things will function on an even keel until the permanent replacement is in place.

And finally, please tell the date you stopped beating your wife? If you can't give me an exact date, well then, things just don't add up.

I'm guessing my sources are as credible as yours.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I do understand there are different types of leave at SDSU. I don't want to argue hours of leave. I will agree that Fred was intramental in SDSU moving to DI. I think in the long term it may be a good thing especially with the great support of our alumni and boosters who have stepped up to the plate. I do however have a hard time with those that think Fred was the best thing for the University and more or less putting him on a pedestal. I feel as a head of a DI Athletic Department he has had trouble representing himself and the department in a positive manner. I do think it was a great time for Fred to retire and I am sure with the search committee that has been established they will bring in someone that can continue the course Fred has set.
          Dr. Oien's legacy isn't going to be decided here or now. Time will tell. In the meantime, let's wish him the best, thank him for what he did for the institution, and look ahead to bigger and better things.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

1strowfanatic, I certainly don't think you want to bring up the wife beating issue. I don't want this post to turn into my thoughts on integrity, ethics and professional representation. Again, I do wish Fred the best of luck. Go State.

Comment

On this particular issue, I think it would be good to wait with comments - good or bad. As JimmyJack has stated, time will tell.

Comment

1strowfanatic, I certainly don't think you want to bring up the wife beating issue. I don't want this post to turn into my thoughts on integrity, ethics and professional representation. Again, I do wish Fred the best of luck. Go State.
                I did that intentionally and knew you would go right to that. That is the classic example of a question that is used to explain why context to answers is important. I could have said when did you stop using drugs, abusing your kids or whatever, but the point is the question is asked in a manner that any response can be twisted to put a negative view on the individual answering.

As for bringing up integrity, ethics and professional representation, what do you call making anonymous posts on a message board suggesting an individual has been fired from a position when all public statements are that they voluntarily retired. In addition to that there have been several individuals that have posted regarding their direct conversations with Fred regarding this topic.

You have been asked for your sources of your posts several times and have never given them. That speaks more to your integrity and ethics than your rhetoric above.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Again, for those that don't agree with my earlier posts of something going on with Fred and his retirement, I would say this does not seem right. State employees can accumulate a max of 240 hours = 6weeks vacation. Considering he is no longer employed his vacation will not run through April. I know many of you think this is common, however why bring in an interim at this time. As I also understand Fred has been asked to not be on campus. Things just don't add up.
                  I think we need a yellow and blue loyality test here. Your handle does not not say whether you are a USD, SDSU, NSU, DSU, SDTech or BHSU grad, its just sdalumni, so which one is it? Also why are you so troubled about Dr Oien?

Things do add up. Fred asked for retirement and got it pretty much on his terms. I guess if you work for Joes Pizza Palace or some small business you dont have the opportunity to learn about unused sick and annual leave policies. The reason is and its not a knock on small business, but they usually can not afford to offer these benefits. The opposite is common if you have an opportunity for a career in government, Fed, state or local, you will get to know the polices since these benefits are available. My point is things to add up so there is no need to fret. Fred has retired on his terms. All is well and if graduated from BHSU, I am sure they could use your help on the PETA issue. Spearfish, what an unhuman name for a town and a high school.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 01-12-2009, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                    I did that intentionally and knew you would go right to that. That is the classic example of a question that is used to explain why context to answers is important. I could have said when did you stop using drugs, abusing your kids or whatever, but the point is the question is asked in a manner that any response can be twisted to put a negative view on the individual answering.

As for bringing up integrity, ethics and professional representation, what do you call making anonymous posts on a message board suggesting an individual has been fired from a position when all public statements are that they voluntarily retired. In addition to that there have been several individuals that have posted regarding their direct conversations with Fred regarding this topic.

You have been asked for your sources of your posts several times and have never given them. That speaks more to your integrity and ethics than your rhetoric above.
                    And that my friends, is a lesson in debate. Nice post 1stRow. Tried to give you some rep, but I have to spread it around first.

I have an extremely hard time even entertaining such a rumor as posted by sdalumni. His posts could be considered a conspiracy theory at best. I for one thank Fred for his time, his commitment, and his desire to make SDSU a better place. I thank him most for his friendship, as he is someone who truly values such things. His and President Miller's legacies are pretty sound in my mind. Their foresight has brought more graduates back to the SDSU family and have instilled a strong sense of pride in recent graduates like myself than can hardly be measured.

People at KU don't understand how I can be so completely full of pride and spirit for my alma mater because we don't play in the Big 12, Big 10, etc. I credit an amazing experience in Brookings for that feeling and the move to D-I plays a significant role in that.
                    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I suppose one's statements should not be judged based on their time on the message board and the number of posts they've offered BUT I find it curious sdalumni, a guy now with a grand total of 6 posts, shows up out of nowhere and starts stirring the pot with unsupported innuendo. It is clear sdalumni has an axe to grind against Dr. Oien. I reject such opinions offered without support and I will ignore sdalumni.

I think sdalumni's followup comments about turning his post into his thoughts on integrity, etc, followed by what I think is an insincere "best of luck" and the perfunctory "Go State" is a just another cynical "Who me? Attacking someone? Gee, I wouldn't do that!"

What's your beef, sdalumni?

Comment

Charity covers a multitude of sins...Whatever his personal foibles and professional mistakes, I will always remember Fred Oien fondly if only for his personal kindnesses to me over the years. I think is leaving with things in fine shape and I wish him the best.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                          I suppose one's statements should not be judged based on their time on the message board and the number of posts they've offered BUT I find it curious sdalumni, a guy now with a grand total of 6 posts, shows up out of nowhere and starts stirring the pot with unsupported innuendo. It is clear sdalumni has an axe to grind against Dr. Oien. I reject such opinions offered without support and I will ignore sdalumni.
                          You beat me to it JJD...and you said it all as well as I could. But I'll add just a few comments...I'll put my sources up against anybody's on Fred Oien's decision on the timing and manner of his retirement as AD. I've stated that information several times and won't repeat it. But the "rumors" are crap. And the only people that will feed on them IMO are those who didn't like him or were bitter about his leadership in the move to D-I.

As to my final comment on this thread, I have always had a problem with the internet board comments where an "anonymous poster name" hides the person making the comments. I suppose it is my journalistic background (or maybe my age), but I think it is all a bunch of hooey to hide behind a fake name. Having said that, I obviously signed onto the board with a "name" because in my unfamiliarity with web boards, that appeared to be the thing to do. I now regret it. A lot of posters on this board, know Jacks#1Fan is Keith Jensen of Brookings.

I've got a challenge for SDSUFans posters: click on USER CP (top of page), click on Edit Details (left pane), and go down to where it gives you a chance to enter some biographical info. Enter your real name and any details you care to list. If everybody does this, it will take away the anonimity that gives a lot of posts a question of credibility. I've put my details in there...will you???

It will be interesting to see who chooses to answer this challenge. I know, for myself, that when I have a question about the credibility of a post, I'm going to check to see if the poster is willing to post his/her name and background info, in rating the credibility of the post. Will particularly watch SDAlumni's User CP with interest.

P.S. Well so much for that suggestion. I entered my information, but looks like you can't view that information for others. Need help Filbert, or moderators: can you view another member's info? If not, seems silly to have a place for a poster to enter the info and nobody can see it but yourself????
                          Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 01-12-2009, 09:42 AM. Reason: Add a post script

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                            I've got a challenge for SDSUFans posters: click on USER CP (top of page), click on Edit Details (left pane), and go down to where it gives you a chance to enter some biographical info. Enter your real name and any details you care to list. If everybody does this, it will take away the anonimity that gives a lot of posts a question of credibility. I've put my details in there...will you???

It will be interesting to see who chooses to answer this challenge. I know, for myself, that when I have a question about the credibility of a post, I'm going to check to see if the poster is willing to post his/her name and background info, in rating the credibility of the post. Will particularly watch SDAlumni's User CP with interest.

P.S. Well so much for that suggestion. I entered my information, but looks like you can't view that information for others. Need help Filbert, or moderators: can you view another member's info? If not, seems silly to have a place for a poster to enter the info and nobody can see it but yourself????
                            I was up to your challenge. If you click on your username you can add your Biography, Occupation, etc. I just added my name in the BIO section.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                              I was up to your challenge. If you click on your username you can add your Biography, Occupation, etc. I just added my name in the BIO section.

Annonimity (sp) is great for some, but enough people know enough others on here to know who's spouting off. I've said my peace on many topics knowing that there were plenty of others who know who I am and my background with SDSU.
                              Last edited by CatchEmAll; 09-23-2009, 07:35 AM.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Did the same and used the vistor message part of the profile to add some more detail. Some of the fields are limited in how much info can be entered. Apparently you can send yourself a vistor message and thats what I did.

Comment

Working...
                                X