Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fred Oien retiring

Originally posted by thebluehatman View Post
    fred oien has had some tough moves to make. Hiring two inexperienced coaches in scott nagy and aaron johnston, watching baseball leave then comeback to campus. There haven been some tough times and good times.
    *bump*

Comment

While we're busy singing Fred's praises for the DI move lets not forget the role Dr. Miller played in the transition as well. Not to get off topic, but so far if someone completely unfamiliar with our recent past were to read about this they would think Fred singlehandedly orchestrated the transition. With no Dr. Miller there would be no DI and Fred's legacy would be completely different.

I often too wonder "what-if", as in what-if the coaches Fred had offered the MBB and WBB jobs before Nagy and AJ had been offered, what would SDSU's recent history in those sports look like today?
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        With no Dr. Miller there would be no DI and Fred's legacy would be completely different.

I often too wonder "what-if", as in what-if the coaches Fred had offered the MBB and WBB jobs before Nagy and AJ had been offered, what would SDSU's recent history in those sports look like today?
        Beautiful, just beautiful.
        Be careful Catch em about not putting Fred up on a pedestal and genuflecting, you may get called delusional (or dillusional as someone spelled it).
        "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
        -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          Beautiful, just beautiful.
          Be careful Catch em about not putting Fred up on a pedestal and genuflecting, you may get called delusional (or dillusional as someone spelled it).
          Sorry, I just don't get you guys (EQ CEA). Everybody's excited about where we are at, and yet your afraid we're going to give to much credit to Fred Oien for where we are at. I can tell you for sure that at every school I've watched, if things aren't going good, the AD is the guy catching hell.

Sure President Miller played a great role in gaining approval to move to D-I, and supported the athletic department. But she didn't hire the coaches, or run the programs, or hire the supporting cast, or make the funding decisions. Give the guy his due. If some think it is overblown a bit, I can't understand what the problem is. I was pretty close to the timing and decisions regarding Scott Nagy's hiring, and also the situation and hiring of AJ...and Fred Oien was right on target on both.

Comment

Thank goodness most people recognize the good things that Dr. Oien did for SDSU. It doesn't matter how good you are, it is impossible to please everyone.

Dr. Oien will leave SDSU with the Athletic Department a much better place then when he took over. That is what he cares about and all that matters to him.

Those will be big shoes to fill but I have no doubt an outstanding person will be found.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
              Dr. Oien will leave SDSU with the Athletic Department a much better place then when he took over. That is what he cares about and all that matters to him.

SUPERBUNNY
              I dont think Fred spoke at many FFA banquets, but he did once along the way I believe in Volga. I remember reading about it in the newspaper He told the young people that one the most important things he learned in life from his father was to always leave things in better condition than what you found them. I think in general, Fred tried to applied that principle every day he worked as the AD.

I dont want to leave President Miller out of the praise. She was there for Fred's support in the D1 move. I often wonder would her precessors had the courage to make this move in athletics? There have been so many other prioirities, that the thought of D1 was never near the front burner, or at least this was my preceptions. I think Dr Miller in being an outsider and new to South Dakota gave her an advantage of being able to think out side the box without the internal statewide forces trying to put her down. For that she deserves much credit.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Good point Nidaros. People need to remember that without the intestinal fortitude displayed by President Miller, Fred wouldn't have been AD during the transition at all.

Now, I want to clarify one thing. I am not suggesting that Fred didn't do a very good job leading SDSU through the transition. I have always had a good relationship with Fred and I would bet anyone in the general public would say the same thing. I just don't think that he should be put on the pedestal he is being put on here.
                Last edited by EQguy; 12-28-2008, 10:26 AM. Reason: clarification
                "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
                  Good point Nidaros. People need to remember that without the intestinal fortitude displayed by President Miller, Fred wouldn't have been AD during the transition at all.

Now, I want to clarify one thing. I am not suggesting that Fred didn't do a very good job leading SDSU through the transition. I have always had a good relationship with Fred and I would bet anyone in the general public would say the same thing. I just don't think that he should be put on the pedestal he is being put on here.
                  There is no doubt Dr. Miller was the right president at the right time for us to make the move. You can dig up a thread that "sang her praises" when she retired.

Your opinion is just that and you are in the vast majority on this issue. Fred took the heat and deserves the recognition now.

As a matter of fact, several of us have been meeting secretly and carving a giant stone pedestal from the same quarry the Dakota Marker was taken from. After that we will make an enormous bronzed statue of Dr. Oien. okay, maybe not.

Congrats again to Dr. Oien and best wishes to him for the future.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Sorry for writing what was on my mind last night. I wasn't questioning Fred's decision on Nagy or AJ, moreso wondering aloud how different things could have turned out had they not been hired. Unless my recolection and understanding of both hires is bad neither was choice #1 for their respective jobs.

And yes, Fred deserves a lot of praise, but he wasn't the long ranger on the move to DI. Yes this is a praise Fred thread, but I guess I had to be the a$$h*le to not sing his praises completely. My bad. He had a great supporting cast throughout his tenure to help him maneuver the department in the right direction. Was he the face of all of the tough decisions, yes. So for that he should get just credit.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I would agree with many of you that said Fred was the front runner in pushing SDSU through the transition to DI. I think many people still debate whether this was the best thing for State. I do question why Fred chose to retire in April and not finish the year out. It is my understanding there will be an interim AD that will be in place soon. It seems strange that he would not finish the academic and athletic year out. I am speculating there may be some other factors involved here. Is Fred really leaving on his own accord? I just thought I would throw that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by sdalumni View Post
                        Is Fred really leaving on his own accord? I just thought I would throw that out there.
                        I think he's leaving on his own accord...going out on top. No reason to think anything else. I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Comment

I would agree with many of you that said Fred was the front runner in pushing SDSU through the transition to DI. I think many people still debate whether this was the best thing for State. I do question why Fred chose to retire in April and not finish the year out. It is my understanding there will be an interim AD that will be in place soon. It seems strange that he would not finish the academic and athletic year out. I am speculating there may be some other factors involved here. Is Fred really leaving on his own accord? I just thought I would throw that out there.
                          I've heard a couple different people mention the rumor that he's not leaving on his own and that he's no longer working. I tell them that anything's possible. But I really, really, really doubt that's the case.

Comment

It seems a few of you know for certain that Fred is leaving in good terms. It just seems there is more to the story. I think Fred has done some good things for the University. I also realize there has been a change in leadership (University President). Maybe he decided it was time for a change. Maybe he did not like the image that was being portrayed in the Athletic Department.

Comment

How do rumors like this get started???? SDSU is in GREAT SHAPE after going thru transition.
                              There are Carr & Assoc. members that return to Brookings yearly to hunt and they can't believe the success we've had during this period. Their comment is transition is not suppose to be this easy.

GO STATE
                              Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Maybe he did not like the image that was being portrayed in the Athletic Department.
                                May I ask, what image are you speaking of here?

Comment

Working...
                                X