Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fred Oien retiring

Originally posted by sdalumni View Post
    It seems a few of you know for certain that Fred is leaving in good terms. It just seems there is more to the story. I think Fred has done some good things for the University. I also realize there has been a change in leadership (University President). Maybe he decided it was time for a change. Maybe he did not like the image that was being portrayed in the Athletic Department.
    And it seems you believe he is not leaving on good terms. Would care to elaborate on your reasons? He is going to Brazil for a long scheduled vacation to visit the golf courses designed by an SDSU grad, which my understanding, will take him almost to the end of April, which means he decided to end without being there for rest of May, or a couple three weeks. His mother just passed away and my guess (I have no idea) is he just decided to hang it up a little early, which allows the process for his replacement to start just a little sooner.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
      May I ask, what image are you speaking of here?
      Its the image that those with a lot of time on there hands love to create.

I was reading Mick Garry's live blog and Fred came up in the discussion. The Vermins seem to think Fred was pushed out because he was opposed to resuming the SDSU-USD competition. Now how lame and how stupid can you get?.

I dont know what the state policy is on accumulated annual leave, but with the Fed you got 240 hrs carryover. Because some employees did not take vacation and leave during the early part of the year, they often took much leave around the holidays in order to avoid the use it or loose it policy. Fred from my observations has not been a big vacation guy so I think its possible he might be using his annual leave up before retiring. Again just speculation, but Fred might be using some unused annual leave in event the state will not pay the hours in April

Some of you state employees can probably set the record straight here so fire away.

Comment

I completely dreamed this up and there's no basis behind this other than my desire to rile some of you up, but what if,

The President told Fred that he wanted a change in MBB. Fred's history with Nagy is such that Fred doesn't want his legacy to include firing the most popular MBB coach of this generation. The Final Four ends on April 6, which would be good timing for announcing a coaching change. Since Fred doesn't want to make the change, respects Nagy too much and has vacation set for that time he decides to retire at that time. No President is going to fire and hire a new coach without an AD in place and the President has said that the hire probably won't take place until this summer, too late for a coaching change. So Nagy gets another year and Fred sails off into the sunset.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          I completely dreamed this up and there's no basis behind this other than my desire to rile some of you up, but what if,

The President told Fred that he wanted a change in MBB. Fred's history with Nagy is such that Fred doesn't want his legacy to include firing the most popular MBB coach of this generation. The Final Four ends on April 6, which would be good timing for announcing a coaching change. Since Fred doesn't want to make the change, respects Nagy too much and has vacation set for that time he decides to retire at that time. No President is going to fire and hire a new coach without an AD in place and the President has said that the hire probably won't take place until this summer, too late for a coaching change. So Nagy gets another year and Fred sails off into the sunset.
          LOL I was crafting a blistering response to your post when i finally saw your fine print......well done.

Comment

Boy, got me as well! Nicely played! I read it three times without even seeing the fine print because CatchEmAll has always been a very solid poster.

Hey, sdalumni, nice job at trying to stir the pot. Not taking the bait!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Unbelieveable...I'm talking about "rumors" that Fred Oien was forced out. That is basically ridiculous. The last five years have taken their toll on Dr. Oien, but he was strong enough to see it through and now is taking a well-earned "break"...he doesn't plan to decide on whether he will take a job, consult or enjoy retirement until he gets back from Brazil.

I posted on SDSUFans.com about six or seven months ago, that our athletic director might not be around "later" and got inqiries from posters about "do you know something we don't". Well, I knew from private conversations with Dr. Oien that the time was coming close when he intended to step out. I served on the selection committee that picked him as the AD, and I'm extremely thankful that he stayed until the D-I transition was completed.

The only people starting "rumors" about his being forced out, would be those who hated going D-I, or have been Oien-haters for other reasons of their own. He is and was held in high regard by President Chicoine.

And, confirming what Nidaros noted, he chose the time for his announcement because he had enough time coming to stop working on that day, and have that period run out until April, when he heads for Brazil. It allowed him to deal with his mother's death, and to spend time with his children over the holidays.

I am not putting him up on a "pedestal" as some posters decry, but I personally know the trials and tribulations he has gone through, and the solid foundation he has built during his time at the helm, and believe he has earned any praise he has received.

Comment

Mylo Hellickson has been named interim AD, starting Monday. Mylo has been faculty rep to athletics for many years and is an experienced administrator. He's a good choice to keep things running effectively in athletics while the search takes place.

The search committee has also been announced. Lots of very good people there as well. The President is moving fast here, and I think these are some really wise decisions.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Hellickson is an interesting choice. He's a good man. The next few months will be very intereresting for so many reasons.

Comment

Clever and funny Catchem rep pts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                      Unbelieveable...I'm talking about "rumors" that Fred Oien was forced out. That is basically ridiculous. The last five years have taken their toll on Dr. Oien, but he was strong enough to see it through and now is taking a well-earned "break"...he doesn't plan to decide on whether he will take a job, consult or enjoy retirement until he gets back from Brazil.

I posted on SDSUFans.com about six or seven months ago, that our athletic director might not be around "later" and got inqiries from posters about "do you know something we don't". Well, I knew from private conversations with Dr. Oien that the time was coming close when he intended to step out. I served on the selection committee that picked him as the AD, and I'm extremely thankful that he stayed until the D-I transition was completed.

The only people starting "rumors" about his being forced out, would be those who hated going D-I, or have been Oien-haters for other reasons of their own. He is and was held in high regard by President Chicoine.

And, confirming what Nidaros noted, he chose the time for his announcement because he had enough time coming to stop working on that day, and have that period run out until April, when he heads for Brazil. It allowed him to deal with his mother's death, and to spend time with his children over the holidays.

I am not putting him up on a "pedestal" as some posters decry, but I personally know the trials and tribulations he has gone through, and the solid foundation he has built during his time at the helm, and believe he has earned any praise he has received.
                      Thanks, I know I can trust Jack#1Fan's explanation. Again maybe I dont need to know the policy on unused sick and annual leave but I suppose its possible to build it up over time several months of leave. Yes with a death in the family especially with a parent, there are a number of affairs that have to completed. I believe his only sibling is his sister who lives aways from Brookings so Fred has had his hands full. I think Fred deserves a few days off. If he is like most of us, a few months down the road he will miss his work and find something to do, employment, volunteering, you name it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                        Hellickson is an interesting choice. He's a good man. The next few months will be very intereresting for so many reasons.
                        Sounds like life in general to me, interesting and uncertain for so many reasons.....
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                          Mylo Hellickson has been named interim AD, starting Monday. Mylo has been faculty rep to athletics for many years and is an experienced administrator. He's a good choice to keep things running effectively in athletics while the search takes place.

The search committee has also been announced. Lots of very good people there as well. The President is moving fast here, and I think these are some really wise decisions.
                          I think Mylo will do a good job in keeping things moving. I have always liked him and respected his support of SDSU athletics. Even though he is an interim, he won't be afraid to share his opinions. I had him for an advisor when I started at SDSU a few years ago.

Comment

Again, for those that don't agree with my earlier posts of something going on with Fred and his retirement, I would say this does not seem right. State employees can accumulate a max of 240 hours = 6weeks vacation. Considering he is no longer employed his vacation will not run through April. I know many of you think this is common, however why bring in an interim at this time. As I also understand Fred has been asked to not be on campus. Things just don't add up.

Comment

Again, for those that don't agree with my earlier posts of something going on with Fred and his retirement, I would say this does not seem right. State employees can accumulate a max of 240 hours = 6weeks vacation. Considering he is no longer employed his vacation will not run through April. I know many of you think this is common, however why bring in an interim at this time. As I also understand Fred has been asked to not be on campus. Things just don't add up.
                              Credible source?
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

The accrual and expiration (or not) of leave varies within the Regental system by classification. And there are many different types of leave. It's not a one-size-fits-all system. Thus, citing a state employee max (probably for career service employees... which Fred is not) for leave accrual really sheds no light at all on this situation. It doesn't surprise me that someone with Fred's lengthy service as both a faculty member and later as an exempt administrator could put together leave and vacation after 30 years that would add up to several months of paid time off. We're state employees, but we're governed by Regental policies, which, for reasons that should be obvious, are very different from the policies in the Department of Transportation or wherever.

And I don't buy that Fred, a distinguished faculty member and administrator, has been "asked not to be on campus." That just sounds like rumor-mill material to me. It's not the way things are done at SDSU.

And finally, the reasons for Fred's departure are between him and his supervisor and really aren't important as far as the future of the athletic department is concerned. I have no reason, nor will I ever have any information, to question what has already been said by Dr. Oien and President Chicoine. Bottom line: Dr. Hellickson is going to be acting athletic director Monday and we're moving on with the search. At this point doing anything other than thanking Fred for his outstanding service to the university and the state is kind of pointless.
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X