Fred Oien retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Fred Oien retiring

I'm in...Maybe we should make this another post...

Comment

I've heard a variety of rumors about Dr. Oien. Some from people within the athletic department, some from others at SDSU, and plenty from people who aren't even privy to any information. The fact remains that we are transitioning to a new A.D. Nothing else should matter to us. Its not our business and we don't need to know why Dr. Oien is leaving.

BTW, I'm in as well.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        I've heard a variety of rumors about Dr. Oien. Some from people within the athletic department, some from others at SDSU, and plenty from people who aren't even privy to any information. The fact remains that we are transitioning to a new A.D. Nothing else should matter to us. Its not our business and we don't need to know why Dr. Oien is leaving.

BTW, I'm in as well.
        These are my thoughts as well. Nothing will diminish my postive feelings about Dr Oien and the job he did leading us through the transition.

Comment

I bumped into and spoke to Fred at Cubby's last Friday during lunch. He sure didn't look or act like someone that was retiring out of duress.
          "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
          -Leo Rosten

Comment

I guess I was lucky because I had already found out who most of you were by sending t-shirts during the football season.

Fred will have a solid reputation and will always be thought of with fondness by the majority when recalling his tenure as SDSU AD. He was always great to me whenever I saw him as a student and still is whenever I have the rare opportunity to be back in town and say hello. There are always going to be instances where you could nitpick (I happen to think the basketball situation with the alleged rape could have been handled differently) but there has yet to be a president of the US who has gone through without everyone questioning every step they made. That's the nature of having the big office (metaphorically speaking). You make decisions that are inherently going to be questioned. Nature of the job. Logging on to the Argus and seeing the headlines dominated by SDSU success is in part because of what Fred did. Can't take that away from him and he deserves praise for that.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

There was a very nice salute to Fred in the RabbitTracks magazine that came in the mail the other day. It is on the inside of the front cover and lists many of his accomplishments. Ends by saying something like is name will go down on the list of great athletic directors at SDSU like Jack Frost, Harry Forsyth, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                There was a very nice salute to Fred in the RabbitTracks magazine that came in the mail the other day. It is on the inside of the front cover and lists many of his accomplishments. Ends by saying something like is name will go down on the list of great athletic directors at SDSU like Jack Frost, Harry Forsyth, etc.
                Saw Fred having some Nicks yesterday. Seems to be doing fine.

Comment

Does anyone know why the media (e.g. Stu) are making such a big deal of him right now? I know it is Stu, but I'm just curious what he is thinking besides he hates SDSU if anything.
                  Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                    Does anyone know why the media (e.g. Stu) are making such a big deal of him right now? I know it is Stu, but I'm just curious what he is thinking besides he hates SDSU if anything.
                    I think some of what Stu was saying it was a shame that Dr. Oien wasn't going to be at the meetings this weekend and it was a surprise that he retired in the middle of year.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
                      I think some of what Stu was saying it was a shame that Dr. Oien wasn't going to be at the meetings this weekend and it was a surprise that he retired in the middle of year.
                      What was said and where?

Comment

I greeted Dr. Oien Saturday evening as everyone was filing out of the Sioux Falls Arena following the Jackrabbit's men's victory. Seeds planted years ago by Dr. Oien bore some fruit Saturday! He had a big smile just like the thousands of other Jackrabbit fans heading to the parking lot.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                          What was said and where?
                          It was one of Stu's blogs

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Id=personaDest

Third one on the list

Comment

I had plenty of discussions with plenty of people about this over the weekend. I hope someone from administration helps clear the air, so to say, because all of the rumors do nothing more than create unfounded concerns. Dr. Oien and the administration didn't see eye-to-eye on some issues, that happens. I think the administration should have handled it better and, although I hate to admit it, I think we are owed an explanation. I don't always get what I want, I guess we'll see.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Why is it anyone's business what may have lead to Fred's retiring if other than Fred's desire to retire? If there's a personal or professional matter between Fred and the upper administration at SDSU then it's between them, period. No matter what is said by who, even the parties involved, rumors would fly around about a "cover-up" or conspiracy. That's just the way things are. Fred has less than a month officially and that's that. IMO the public doesn't need to know squat and the air doesn't need to be cleared. Again, that's just my opinion.
                              I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                                I think the administration should have handled it better and, although I hate to admit it, I think we are owed an explanation. I don't always get what I want, I guess we'll see.
                                There isn't an explanation to be owed.

Comment

Working...
                                X