Facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facilities

UNK's Foster Field is another facility crying for help. There are now plans to add a new score board, astro truf and a few other things, and it has a 2.8 million price tag.

So yep its going to cost to get Coughlin in the 21th Centrury

Comment

I know this has been brought up before, but our scoreboard situation in all of our facilities is pretty sad. We have to be somewhat of a laughing stock around the region when Daktronics inc. is located in brookings and the univeristy that basically started the company and produces over 75%(i'm just guessing here) of their employees has scoreboards from what look like 1980.
      If i am not mistaken was there some tension between DAK. and the athletic dept. about the situation some time ago. Either way, it sure would be nice to have a couple of those nice video boards at Coughlin like they have four of ;D at the Fargodome. ;D ;D
      "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

New seating in Frost is a priority for two reasons. 1. the student bleachers are a safety hazard and needed to be replaced. 2. more chairback seats means more $$$.

I talked to some athletic department people at the women's regional and heard there are big plans for Coughlin if the right person (or people) open their checkbooks.

Comment

From what I understand the new score boards are coming to both Frost and Coughlin. I would like to see an organized/concentrated fund drive for Coughlin. What would it cost to get Coughlin up to a premium stadium? (tops in D1AA football) including finished east side, luxury suites, locker rooms, area chair seating? 15-20 million? is this in the ballpark? People will give... if there is a stated goal and timetable.

Comment

I know I would fork over additional cash if it was for Coughlin-Alumni.

Back to Frost, for those who don't know, the The wooden bleachers behind the baskets are going to be replaced with chairback seating and those seats will be made available to season-ticket holders. That is 323 higher revenue producing seats for the Athletic Dept.

The Student section wooden bleachers are being replaced by new plastic bleachers, that when folded in will spell out "Jacks" in yellow letters. The renovations should be done sometime in June.

Good move, this will bring in some extra $$$!

Go State!

Comment

I also would support a Coughlin fund raising drive. I believe it is are more glaring need. Football should have a larger presence at SDSU and making the stadium and its amenities more appealing for recruits and fans is the first place to start rebuilding our program.

Comment

I agree it would be nice to have Coughlin renovated, and soon. I think this is the perfect time to as we go through the transition time. As we move to DI-AA we start with a clean slate, and we need to make a good impression. I'm also hoping we can keep up with NDSU as far as football goes. I think to build a championship caliber team, we need championship caliber facilities. I think the athletic department needs to publicize specific goals and put out more information on facility renovations (artist renderings, cost estimates, etc.). If people start seeing what can be of Coughlin, more money will come in.

Comment

I noticed a new section under Mens Basketball on the Jacks website "Frost Arena" It shares some history,attendence figures,record and plans for the new enhancements (seating). Are the new scoreboards confirmed for this year?

Comment

We had talked about the Union expansion under this thread before, so I thought I would post the update here.

http://www.brookingsregister.com/mai...e0c2539f75d84c

Construction under way: University Student Union
                    project to hit full stride in July

BY JOHN ANDREWS

Today, students at South Dakota State University are finishing up classes for the year. But construction work on what will become a larger, remodeled University Student Union is just beginning.

Crews from Gil Haugan Construction of Sioux Falls began groundwork on the Union’s new addition March 31. So far, they have cleared out the outdoor courtyard area and removed trees from the east side of the building. Crews have dug down to the lower level foundation and are putting in forms for the new breezeway columns and footings for the area that will house a new ballroom. . . .

Plans for the Union call for a new multipurpose room, similar to the current Volstorff Ballroom, to be located on the northeast part of the building. Dining services space will be expanded and more student lounge space will be added. Altogether, 11,000 square feet will be remodeled and 40,000 square feet will be added.
                    The project carries a price tag of $6.8 million. It is being funded through revenue generated from dining services and the bookstore, as well as a $3 increase in the student general activity fee, approved by the Board of Regents in March 2003.
                    The Union project should be finished by the 2005-06 academic year.

Go State!

Comment

I was over at Frost Arena today and they have taken out all of the lower level wooden bleachers on the side where the students sit. I heard that the whole lower level will be redone by the end of the month. Good to see that things are getting better.

Comment

Thanks for the update. Look forward to seeing the new lower bowel of Frost!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUY
                          Thanks for the update. Look forward to seeing the new lower bowel of Frost!
                          I hope you mean "bowl", Jackguy . . .

(aargh! I did it too!!! Snicker...)
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They have photos of the Frost Arena seating renovations on the SDSU athletic site. Just go to ticket information and click on Frost Arena.

Comment

All you die hard football fans need to kick it in the ass and get Coughlin Stadium upgraded & SDSU needs to put together a winning football team and make football the cash cow it should be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack
                                All you die hard football fans need to kick it in the ass and get Coughlin Stadium upgraded & SDSU needs to put together a winning football team and make football the cash cow it should be!!!
                                There is no arguement here Jack.

Comment

Working...
                                X