Facilities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Facilities

I am really disappointed with this project, as the orignal plan was much more elaborate and would have finished the Staduim For State Project that was started in 1958 with the permanent seating on the east side of Coughlin.

Histroy seems to be repeating its self again, when it comes to building decent facilities.

The way I read this project, it will not be much more than a large warehouse for exercise bicycles and bar bells attached to Frost. A real disappointment, but with the other priorities I guess thats the most we can expect.

I started an acorn endowment for capital Improvements for facilities, but have not given more than 1500 so far so need to step that up. I wish I had 10 million to put in it. Maybe its back to buying Powerball lottery tickets.

Building new facilities are a very hard sell and have been for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUFAN
      I am really disappointed with this project, as the orignal plan was much more elaborate and would have finished the Staduim For State Project that was started in 1958 with the permanent seating on the east side of Coughlin.

Histroy seems to be repeating its self again, when it comes to building decent facilities.

The way I read this project, it will not be much more than a large warehouse for exercise bicycles and bar bells attached to Frost.  A real disappointment, but with the other priorities I guess thats the most we can expect.
      I agree 100%

Go State!

Comment

Does that mean that the state is going to pay $5 million for the wellness center, or that SDSU is limited to using $5 million for the wellness center?

Comment

The way I read it is, limited to. I don't think the State is kicking in a dime. Nice of them to let us spend our money. :-/

Go State!

Comment

The reason the State Legislature is involved is because they appropriate the funds for maintenence and utilities of all buildings on campus. Were it not for that reason, USD would not have gotten the 5 million of the tobacco money for the new dome roof.

Comment

I understand that, however USD did get 5 Million from the State while SDSU raised 5 Million.  Call one maintenance if you like, but it cost South Dakota 5 Million, our project cost South Dakota $0.00.

Say that gives me an idea.  I think it might cost us 5 Million to "maintian" the East side of Coughlin-Alumni.   ;D

Go State!

Comment

Unfortunately i think the state is kind of washed out for us because of the money that they are putting forward for other things, ie. new residence hall, solberg renovation, performing arts center, etc. I wish that the desired improvements would take place, wouldn't it be sweet if we could use the new wellness center as a backdrop for the new seating on the east side of the stadium much like the buildings at UNO's field or at the University of Wisconsin. We could even incorporate luxury boxes then at a resonable price one would think.

Lets go Rabbits!!
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979
                  Unfortunately i think the state is kind of washed out for us because of the money that they are putting forward for other things, ie.  new residence hall, solberg renovation, performing arts center, etc.  I wish that the desired improvements would take place, wouldn't it be sweet if we could use the new wellness center as a backdrop for the new seating on the east side of the stadium much like the buildings at UNO's field or at the University of Wisconsin.  We could even incorporate luxury boxes then at a resonable price one would think.

Lets go Rabbits!!

Let me start by saying welcome jackrabbit1979, it is always good to have another Jack on the board.  I may be wrong, but I believe that Solberg was done by the SDSU foundation.  Didn't the state transfer ownership of the building to the SDSU foundation and then rent it back for $1.00?  The SDSU foundation then did the repairs and just recently transferred the building back.  The PAC was a joint effort between the City (second penny sales tax) and donations, much like the new wellness center.  I have not heard anything about new dorms.

The dream of a wellness center as part of an improved Coughlin-Alumni would be my first choice, I know it is not going to happen and that makes me a little sad and and angry.  :'( >  If the State would give us the same $5 million they gave USD for their football field it would go along ways to making it a reality.  That of course is not going to happen.  If the East side of the stadium is ever going to be built I think the money will have to come from Alumni and maybe the City.  How does Coughlin-Alumni-J. Lohr Stadium sound?  

Go State!

Comment

jackrabbit1979 I appreciate your being on the board. It's great to have another child of the '70s writing their thoughts.

Let me bring you up to speed on the items you listed. Solberg Hall and the Performing Arts center were renovated (Solberg) and built (PAC) with no money from the state of South Dakota. Donors provided the money for Solberg. The Performing Arts Center was a combination of of money from the city of Brookings (6 million dollars), some federal dollars and around $4 million from donors. The new residence hall will be built via the sale of recent bonds. The repayment of those bonds will be made by the students living in the dorms. Thus, the state of South Dakota is off the hook again.

The Legislature okayed the expenditure of $5 million dollars. That was very nice of them, since they don't have to pee one red cent. I think there had best be some "big thinking" with regard to the Wellness Center because at $5 million it will be too small when it opens. Isn't it awful that the university pushes the students to spend $8 million to renovate the student union and then stands back on the wellness center? Do you know why? Here's why. The university is able to build more office space for its employees (associated with student affairs) and its great to do it on the students' backs.

You ask the average student what they want: A wellness center or a renovated union. I'll guarantee the students would vote 75% in favor of a wellness center. But, you would hate to give students what they want.

Comment

Thanks for the info fellas.
                      I thought i had heard at one time that the wellness center was being pushed to the back burner because the need for the new residnece hall was more immediate due to our increasing freshman and sophomore numbers.  I know the need for thr union renovation is necessary, even though it will provide more office, conference, ballroom space, etc.  which isn't a bad thing.  It will also include a huge improvement to the dining facilities in the union which is something that students use about everyday.  With more students on campus, hopefully, this would have been something that the university would have needed in the upcoming years as well.  Hopefully we can accomplish both projects in the future years.

GO RAbbits.

Comment

Where and how large is this new Residence Hall.

Comment

i believe the new residence hall is going inbetween young hall and the HPER center, in that grassy area, but i don't know if anything has been decided yet. Not sure how large, but i believe it is for sophmores only and going to be suite style so it shoud be much nicer that the dorms now and could be used as an extra recruiting tool for the university as a whole. Supposed to break ground this spring for a FALL 2005 completion.

Comment

Has anybody heard anything on renovations to frost? Its supposed to start this month isn't it?

Comment

I don't think it starts until May. I was in the arena earlier this week and they were moving the end score boards over to make room for the new seats.

Comment

What exactly is going to be done to frost. I am all for the improvements to facilities as a whole, but Coughlin is in much more dire need than frost. I know the improvements wanted/needed at Coughlin would cost much more.

Comment

Working...
                                X