Performance center deadline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Performance center deadline

I just want to see the big video screen that were in some of the drawings. That looked huge and would be really cool I think. Maybe i cant remember but where do we sit with the starting the funding and the posibility of even redoing the football stadium? are we looking at getting an official campiagn under way or is that still in the infantcy stages. how long till we could see shovels in the ground for the football stadium? I like the drawing they have show for stadium improvement upgrades and everything. Just wish it would have been built first.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      It's still a great (and ridiculously better than the Barn) place for the team to take ground balls, hit in a cage, and play long toss. With snow out there it's got to be difficult to stretch your arm out during the winter.

Not to mention this should help recruiting with baseball, softball, and track. This place will be awesome!
      Thats what I think needs to renovate the barn back to an awesome basketball facility. No classes in there and no other sports, renovate the lockerrooms so it would be just a basketball practice training facility. use the classrooms in there for doing team meetings etc. It would be a great recruiting tool also to see the barn spruced up. Brand new stuff and awesome old school stuff seem to be what kids what when making choices and having a historic place but modernized like the barn would be great.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Thats what I think needs to renovate the barn back to an awesome basketball facility. No classes in there and no other sports, renovate the lockerrooms so it would be just a basketball practice training facility. use the classrooms in there for doing team meetings etc. It would be a great recruiting tool also to see the barn spruced up. Brand new stuff and awesome old school stuff seem to be what kids what when making choices and having a historic place but modernized like the barn would be great.
        Nei da, not such a good idea. It would take a ton of money to redo it back. The balcony is now offices, the bleachers are long gone and the playing floor looks like sh*t, and they stopped maintaining the once nice shiney playing floor in 1973 when Frost opened. We could use our funds in better ways.

Comment

I don't see it for basketball. I do wonder what it would take to turn it into an indoor facility for Tennis.

Comment

Originally posted by HoboJack View Post
            I don't see it for basketball. I do wonder what it would take to turn it into an indoor facility for Tennis.
            Are the racquet ball courts and batting cages still in there? I would think gutting that out new back boards and new floor lockerrooms could be done for couple million tops. When frost gets renovated where teams probably won't be able to practice much in there repurpusing the barn would be a great deal. Just my pipe dream.

Comment

Are the racquet ball courts and batting cages still in there? I would think gutting that out new back boards and new floor lockerrooms could be done for couple million tops. When frost gets renovated where teams probably won't be able to practice much in there repurpusing the barn would be a great deal. Just my pipe dream.
              Oh,you mean just a "spruce up job".........

Seriously,if buildings are in good enough condition,renovation has got to be cheaper than laying bricks and mortar,one would think,while still preserving the history of such a grand old building ,steeped in tradition and full of fond memories.....but,i don't know that much about building costs to state this ,with any comfort of knowing my statement has any credibility,if that makes any sense.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                Oh,you mean just a "spruce up job".........

Seriously,if buildings are in good enough condition,renovation has got to be cheaper than laying bricks and mortar,one would think,while still preserving the history of such a grand old building ,steeped in tradition and full of fond memories.....but,i don't know that much about building costs to state this ,with any comfort of knowing my statement has any credibility,if that makes any sense.
                That was my though eenough to make it nice and fancy enough with out going over the top. Frankly I think its needed. I would rather see the barn with the hisotry of sdsu get consideration before they build a new modern gym\practice facility.

Comment

Tomorrow or shortly thereafter the project should begin. Maybe someone in Brookings can drive by tomorrow and let us know if dirt is being moved.

Comment

That was my though eenough to make it nice and fancy enough with out going over the top. Frankly I think its needed. I would rather see the barn with the hisotry of sdsu get consideration before they build a new modern gym\practice facility.
                    The barn is now the home to the academic programs that were formerly in the HPER department. The Department moved from Arts and Sciences to the new College of Education and Health Sciences about four years ago. The movement and reorganization resulted in the formation of the Department of Health and Nutritional Sciences. The programs such as athletic training, physical education teacher education, exercise science, sport and recreation studies, etc are now housed in the Barn. So it is fully utilized. It is the only place on campus with a gym that can be used for academic programs. No academic programs have used Frost for several years. And the armory is devoted to ROTC programs as it should be.

So unless a new academic building is built with a Gym, you probably won't see the old Barn as a primary athletics building. It is currently used certain hours for practice for various sports, but that will probably become less common when the new facility comes on line.

Comment

• Re: Performance center deadline

The gym in DePuy Military Hall is used - and has been being used - by the Architecture program until the new Architecture-Math-Engineering building gets built. They do have construction fence up where that new building is going, over behind Solberg Hall.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                        The barn is now the home to the academic programs that were formerly in the HPER department. The Department moved from Arts and Sciences to the new College of Education and Health Sciences about four years ago. The movement and reorganization resulted in the formation of the Department of Health and Nutritional Sciences. The programs such as athletic training, physical education teacher education, exercise science, sport and recreation studies, etc are now housed in the Barn. So it is fully utilized. It is the only place on campus with a gym that can be used for academic programs. No academic programs have used Frost for several years. And the armory is devoted to ROTC programs as it should be.

So unless a new academic building is built with a Gym, you probably won't see the old Barn as a primary athletics building. It is currently used certain hours for practice for various sports, but that will probably become less common when the new facility comes on line.
                        When the SDSU Foundation had their banquet in the Barn a few years back, I want to say 2005, I was horrified to see the condition of the former playing floor, but that is progress and its amazing that this 100 year old building is still being used and used to the maximum. I was a student when Old North and Old Central wore tore down and replaced with the Pharmacy building. That was sad to see those buildings go but they were used until 1961 for classrooms. I recall the rickety stairs leading to the third floor where I had a class. I guess what I am getting at is dispite the construction that has gone on, there still is not enough space for every department and every class.
                        Lets hope some dirt gets turned tomorrow, July 1,2013.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                          Tomorrow or shortly thereafter the project should begin. Maybe someone in Brookings can drive by tomorrow and let us know if dirt is being moved.
                          I spoke with a representative for the athletic department last week and he said July 1 construction starts.
                          We...ARE...STATE!
                          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Anyone in Brookings see any shovels in the ground yet?
                            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                            - Steven Wright

Comment

I haven't been by, but I think I remember someone from athletics telling me it would be about July 15th before it "looked like a construction site"

Comment

I drove by yesterday and it still looks the same as it has all spring/summer. I was hoping to see some action going on. The action should be ramping up soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X