No announcement yet.

Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know they are tied to the Olympics or some deal but as a non wrestler wrestling fan I sure wish they had a 220 weight class

Comment

• 220 weight class would only dilute the 197 and HWT weight class, too many of these bigger athletic kids have opportunity for college football as well.
      Last edited by Fishhook; 03-31-2022, 06:24 AM.

Comment

• I hear ya there. Just seems like such a big gap. Too few way little guys and way way to few HWT.

Comment

• Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          I hear ya there. Just seems like such a big gap. Too few way little guys and way way to few HWT.
          couldnt they just add a extra middle weight or two? It seems some weights are more bottle necked so couldnt you add a 160, 170, maybe 180. give rosters a little more flexibility?

and yes I know very little of wrestling.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Julian Tagg (Gabes brother) is in the transfer portal. Looking at recruits so far, they seem to be aggressively pursuing 125 pounders. He could show up in Brookings. It's hard to know how good he is now, but he was a very special wrestler in high school.

In other news, Kael Lauridsen, big board 125 pound prospect from Nebraska, just announced SDSU as one of his top four schools. I think recruiting might be changed forever with NIL so it will be interesting to see if the staff can pull him in.

Comment

• NIL. BOOOOOOOOO!!! Because it is being misused. The concept is great but it is not being used in the manner it was intended.

Comment

• Originally posted by opinionsaremyown View Post
                NIL. BOOOOOOOOO!!! Because it is being misused. The concept is great but it is not being used in the manner it was intended.
                Wasnt it intended to allow boosters and donors to pay athletes to go to certain school? how is that being out of the manner it was intended?
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

Wasnt it intended to allow boosters and donors to pay athletes to go to certain school? how is that being out of the manner it was intended?
                  It isn't supposed to be used to influence where a kid goes to school (it is going to happen though). A coach or anyone directly tied to the universities can't tell a recruit that if they come here you'll get X amount of dollars from the chevy dealership down the road, but I don't know if there is anything stopping the dealership from contacting the recruit directly and making a NIL offer. The recruit could still be making themselves ineligible by excepting an offer like that before they are accepted into the college. It is the wild west right now with NIL's and the NCAA has no way of policing it. The other thing that is always hard to decipher is how much is true and how much is just rumors. About like scholarships in wrestling, you hear it a lot that this guy got offered a full ride and in wrestling with only 9.9 scholarships and around 30 guys on a roster, only rarely is someone getting a full ride.

Comment

• You have your head buried deep in the sand if you don't think kids were being paid by big donors before at power schools. Pony express, fab 5,etc.... NIL isn't gonna change much at all

Comment

You have your head buried deep in the sand if you don't think kids were being paid by big donors before at power schools. Pony express, fab 5,etc.... NIL isn't gonna change much at all
                      My comment was a bit tongue in cheek, since it was Essentially what was already happening and it just made it more in the light while muddying the waters at the same time.

Comment

You have your head buried deep in the sand if you don't think kids were being paid by big donors before at power schools. Pony express, fab 5,etc.... NIL isn't gonna change much at all
                        You have to admit that it did not directly impact wrestling the way it is today. If half of what is rumored is true wrestling is in for hard times ahead.

Comment

You have to admit that it did not directly impact wrestling the way it is today. If half of what is rumored is true wrestling is in for hard times ahead.
                          well, im not privy to the rumors so I cant say one way or the other. I have my doubts how it will impact every sport for that matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post

well, im not privy to the rumors so I cant say one way or the other. I have my doubts how it will impact every sport for that matter.
                            Maybe you should do some research prior to making statements based on the 80's and 90's involving football and basketball when addressing a wrestling forum.

Comment

Maybe you should do some research prior to making statements based on the 80's and 90's involving football and basketball when addressing a wrestling forum.
                              Chill bro, or, you could just share all the rumors you and like 5 other people know. Don't act like wrestling is going to be any more unique and different then any other sport. NIL is going to have an impact on every sport and its questionable how much good or bad will come from it.

But your the only one who can have an opinion on it so its all yours.

Comment

• I think so far NIL has been great for the sport of wrestling. One example is it took a wrestler the entire wrestling community knew (gable Stevenson) and gave him even more exposure where a larger audience outside of the wrestling community was watching him in his final tour with the gophers. All those new eyeballs had to bring in more fans and hopefully new youth wrestlers. Without NIL no way that would have had that large of impact.

Comment

Working...
                                X