No announcement yet.

Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The coaches are following several state tournaments but Coach Caldwell has the handle on Iowa. Let's get some more IowaJACKS.

Comment

• How about Alex Mentzer from BV? I've been able to watch him a few times on local TV and never seems to struggle with opponents.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

• Rumor has it that Rasmussen will be bumping up to wrestle Navarro Shunke today in the first round of the state duel tournament. Brookings can’t win the duel, but sounds like Rasmussen wants the match.

Comment

• As for other recruits, Sloan Johanson from Watertown, only a sophomore but I believe a D1 talent. Moses Gross from Huron, only a Freshman but an incredible talent. Quincy Hulverson is headed to the Goohers, he didn’t wrestle this season due to injury. Owen Hanson Burke Gregory a junior is also a D1 talent in my opinion.

Comment

• Owen Hanson is good! I have heard rumors that he will probably go to Nebraska but who knows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Wish more SD kids would go to Fargo in July and find out where they are really at. Tough for a college coach to invest a ton of time and money into someone that has not tried to prove that they are competitive on a national level. It isn’t necessarily about if you place in Fargo, it is more about showing the college coaches that competition doesn’t intimidate you and how fiercely you compete. Doing things like what Fishhook is talking about makes a statement to coaches, doesn’t look like it ended up happening though. Want to wrestle in college, get outside of our borders out of season and prove it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishhook View Post
                Rumor has it that Rasmussen will be bumping up to wrestle Navarro Shunke today in the first round of the state duel tournament. Brookings can’t win the duel, but sounds like Rasmussen wants the match.
                Sounded like he was going to go down to 195 for the Brookings tournament earlier this season and take on Damion but got sick that week and wasn’t in top form and decided against it. D1 wrestlers are not afraid of top competition, if anything they go search it out just like this.

Comment

• Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post
                  Wish more SD kids would go to Fargo in July and find out where they are really at. Tough for a college coach to invest a ton of time and money into someone that has not tried to prove that they are competitive on a national level. It isn’t necessarily about if you place in Fargo, it is more about showing the college coaches that competition doesn’t intimidate you and how fiercely you compete. Doing things like what Fishhook is talking about makes a statement to coaches, doesn’t look like it ended up happening though. Want to wrestle in college, get outside of our borders out of season and prove it.
                  I think it's definitely better for the wrestler. If they want to get recruited broadly, they need to compete broadly. I understand if you're from across the country and you don't want to pay to travel, but it's a pretty minimal car ride and, with the dorms, it's pretty affordable. Folkstyle nationals and preseason nationals are very close as well. That said, I selfishly enjoy that SDSU can swipe good athletes who are somewhat underdeveloped technically and are flying completely under the radar and do it with little to no investment. For instance, I don't think that Damion Shunke is a particularly great recruit in terms of his potential, he's just very well trained and pretty well known, so he probably had a lot of options. Meanwhile, I don't even know if they had to recruit Sam Kruger or Cody Donnelly and they may be every bit as good when it's all said and done.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

I think it's definitely better for the wrestler. If they want to get recruited broadly, they need to compete broadly. I understand if you're from across the country and you don't want to pay to travel, but it's a pretty minimal car ride and, with the dorms, it's pretty affordable. Folkstyle nationals and preseason nationals are very close as well. That said, I selfishly enjoy that SDSU can swipe good athletes who are somewhat underdeveloped technically and are flying completely under the radar and do it with little to no investment. For instance, I don't think that Damion Shunke is a particularly great recruit in terms of his potential, he's just very well trained and pretty well known, so he probably had a lot of options. Meanwhile, I don't even know if they had to recruit Sam Kruger or Cody Donnelly and they may be every bit as good when it's all said and done.
                    But we are not going to be perennial top 25 program if we only get the under the radar kids and miss out on the proven athletes. Would you recruit the proven or the hopeful? I know where I’m focusing my time if my job is on the line. I would love to know the number of All Americans from the last 20 years that were not known products coming out of high school. That is your homework for the week Wombat, due Friday We used to see more kids like Zilverberg and the Kocer brothers prior to the coverage that the sport gets now, just less rocks to be turned over these days. Probably lucky for us that they went unnoticed by most other D1 programs.

Comment

• I see Triston Lara from UNI entered the portal. any thoughts on this?

Comment

• Definitely someone to talk to. I’m sure with Caldwell’s connections there he will have pretty good insight as to whether to go after him or not. Might be a tough battle for him with Martin and Swenson looking like the guys standing in front of him at 49 and 57.

Comment

• Kimball beat T. Lara in the SDSU / UNI dual. Martin beat him in the Dak. Lara was 4-6 this season with three wins coming at the DAK. Seemed to have a down year from 21 season.

Comment

• Ya think I’d pass on Lara. Plus he’s probably looking for a clearer path to starting as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Coach Ringstmeyer posted this info over on the grappler forum.
                              https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestlin...owcase-advance
                              Hopefully it turns into what the Senior nationals in Pittsburgh used to be. Other than a few really deep states like IA, MN, CA, PA you could be top 5 in their state and qualify for it, every other state you had to be a finalist sometime in high school just to qualify and only seniors could wrestle in it. This tournament is slightly different being that all high school age state champs are automatically in and everyone else has a chance to qualify out of 6 different regional tournaments. I’m sure the coaches will be watching this pretty closely.

Comment

• State results for incoming 2022 recruits
                                South Dakota State

Bennett Berge (Kasson-Mantorville) - Minnesota AA State Champion (195)

Brock Fettig (Bismarck) - North Dakota Class A State Champion (182)

Logan Graf (Rapid City Stevens) - South Dakota Class A State Champion (126)

Christian Noble (Big Lake) - Minnesota AA State Champion (126)

Luke Rasmussen (Brookings) - South Dakota Class A State Champion (220)

Caleb Thoennes (St. Michael-Albertville) - Minnesota AAA State sixth-place (132)

Kail Wynia (Kasson-Mantorville) - Minnesota AA State third-place (182)

Comment

Working...
                                X