Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ORU--Round 3

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
    "Win with pride, but also realize we had help." a quote from USA Basketball.
    Well, if that quote is true, USA basketball needs to open their eyes and watch the entire game, because if "they" think we were helped out by the refs in the game they probably shouldn't be running USA basketball.

I was stationed under the basket when Macie took that charge and it looked like a great call live (though I have not seen a replay of it), and it was especially a good call considering the one charge that ORU got in the first half that wasn't even close. I do think we got some calls in our favor (the offensive foul called on SDSU when it was clearly a loose ball foul on the Jacks comes to mind... though they ended up at the free throw line that possession anyways), but ORU had just as many in their favor over the course of the game (ORU clearly knocking the ball out of bounds with no Jackrabbits even near it and still getting the ball).

It was Summit League officiating at it's finest, and neither team won or lost the game because of it, but rather both teams had to live with it.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      It was Summit League officiating at it's finest, and neither team won or lost the game because of it, but rather both teams had to live with it.
      Well said Kemo! It can't be said any better than that.

Comment

both teams had to live with it.
        dingdingdingding. we have a winner.

Comment

Why can't we be better winners here? There is no need to bash the ORU players. Luper could have rant and raved about some of the calls yesterday, but she didn't. She just went down court to play some more. I sat near the USA Basketball representative who was there to watch both Maria AND Luper/Bingham. That says a lot for all three.

He was livid about the calls going for the home team. He said the charge was the worst call possible during that time of the game. We had perfect angle from near the ORU band. He also said they blew the call right afterwards near the sideline when Luper was tackled after stealing the ball.
          I have said nothing but good things about ORU. They played a heck of a game and they had a great season.

Did the same USA BB rep have any comments regarding the no calls in the first half against ORU's defense? ORU's defense was good but they were grabbing arms. I agree they blew the call when Luper made the steal and Rotert (I believe it was her) fouled her. ORU had possession so there should have been foul shots taken (I think the ref made the call the ball was loose so no shots were awarded).

As for the charging, maybe the ref thought Luper instigated the contact or leaned in too much. From where I was watching, it was really close. The refs don't have the option of watching replays so they have to go with what they 'think' they saw (that's with the assumption refs can think. :-) ). (Does smack against a ref count as smack on the board?)
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Her left foot is still a foot off the ground at impact. The USA Rep is also a Big 12 referee who is working the men's conference tourney. I think that I'll take his word for it.
            You need a new television then...I paused it at the point of impact and both feet (left foot down, right tiptoes down) are touching the floor. I don't care who the USA Rep is or where he refs...he's wrong. As for the next call where Kevi should have gotten FT's, I agree. But Macie should've also gotten FT's a little later when she got run over after stealing the ball. (the play where she got up real slowly and needed to come out momentarily)
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Well, if that quote is true, USA basketball needs to open their eyes and watch the entire game, because if "they" think we were helped out by the refs in the game they probably shouldn't be running USA basketball.

I was stationed under the basket when Macie took that charge and it looked like a great call live (though I have not seen a replay of it), and it was especially a good call considering the one charge that ORU got in the first half that wasn't even close. I do think we got some calls in our favor (the offensive foul called on SDSU when it was clearly a loose ball foul on the Jacks comes to mind... though they ended up at the free throw line that possession anyways), but ORU had just as many in their favor over the course of the game (ORU clearly knocking the ball out of bounds with no Jackrabbits even near it and still getting the ball).

This is a much better summary, not perfect but much better. From my seat it didn't look like Luper charged but my seat was on the other end of the arena. From my seat I could see ORU players grabbing, pushing, and reaching on almost every possession, now, that doesn't mean they were fouling but often times they should have been called fouls, in my opinion.

Officials don't win or lose the game, players do. I complained about the officiating in Lubbock last year because it was crappy. We still got beat by the Baylor players not the officials.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                That's Macie..... She's probably better at doing that than anyone else on the team.

Watch how quickly she gets her feet set to take a charge sometime. It's pretty dang cool.
                I got tired of watching her do it to Worthington for 4 years in high school. She would hit the floor,flop around like a fish,and hop up and give that doggone fist pump ! It actually took a game or two after she came to the Jacks before I could bring myself to cheer for her !

Comment

Please post the link to that site.
                  Go to ORU Fans.com and click on the All-Tournament Team thread under Womens Basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    I got tired of watching her do it to Worthington for 4 years in high school. She would hit the floor,flop around like a fish,and hop up and give that doggone fist pump ! It actually took a game or two after she came to the Jacks before I could bring myself to cheer for her !
                    Oh, I'm sure she tries to sell it when she's out of position. But shoot, anybody can do that. Joe Dumars (or was it Rick Mahorn?) made a career out of it.

I admire her for being quick enough to actually get into position...

And the fist pump.

Comment

Haha! THAT's funny stuff right there!
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Oh, I'm sure she tries to sell it when she's out of position. But shoot, anybody can do that. Joe Dumars (or was it Rick Mahorn?) made a career out of it.

I admire her for being quick enough to actually get into position...

And the fist pump.
                        See any Dook player to ever don a Dook jersey. They are obnoxious about it.
                        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          You need a new television then...I paused it at the point of impact and both feet (left foot down, right tiptoes down) are touching the floor. I don't care who the USA Rep is or where he refs...he's wrong. As for the next call where Kevi should have gotten FT's, I agree. But Macie should've also gotten FT's a little later when she got run over after stealing the ball. (the play where she got up real slowly and needed to come out momentarily)
                          That was only ORU's 3rd or 4th foul of the half. Not really an intentional foul. In football it would have been 15 yards for clipping.
                          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                            That was only ORU's 3rd or 4th foul of the half. Not really an intentional foul. In football it would have been 15 yards for clipping.
                            They were in the bonus at the time. It happened at the 3:18 mark in OT after Macie had already missed the front end of a one & one towards the beginning of OT.
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Her left foot is still a foot off the ground at impact. The USA Rep is also a Big 12 referee who is working the men's conference tourney. I think that I'll take his word for it.
                              Since Macie was sliding into position to take a charge he feet don't have to be planted. All she has to do is establish her position. Which she did.

And I don't know who all were being sore winners in here, but I get a general sense that we have given ORU alot of respect.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Go to ORU Fans.com and click on the All-Tournament Team thread under Womens Basketball.
                                Or, go here:

http://forum.orusports.com/viewtopic...&t=7658#p70607
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X