ORU--Round 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: ORU--Round 3

This championship game with ORU is exactly what this team needed heading into the NCAA tournement.The lesson that you have to stay focused & play hard to the very end against good teams is a lesson well learned.Even 16 seed teams in the dance are good teams.The competition will only get stiffer from here on out.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
      As we go into the NCAA Tournament you can just about be assured that we will see a lot of pressure similar to what ORU used a lot of the game and in particular the last six minutes of regulation. The Jacks continued to pass the ball around the perimeter and ORU was able to cause some turnovers. Every team we face will have the athleticism to do the same things.

No doubt AJ recognizes that and will work on that and turn it into a strength moving into the tournament. There are certainly some opportunities for easy shots if they can break through it and be aggressive.

Again, what a tremendous game. How fortunate are we as fans to have a team that has made it to the NCAA tournament in the first two years of eligibility? I'm sure it isn't unprecedented but it is no doubt very rare. And to lead the nation in GPA on top of it!

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
      You have to think that part of AJ's gameplan would be to get passes to the free throw line area to allow multiple passing lanes. The problem with swinging the ball around the perimeter is when it gets to the sides your lanes are limited. Of course, if Maria can work herself free like she started to do in the 2nd half then that is all moot.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        You have to think that part of AJ's gameplan would be to get passes to the free throw line area to allow multiple passing lanes. The problem with swinging the ball around the perimeter is when it gets to the sides your lanes are limited. Of course, if Maria can work herself free like she started to do in the 2nd half then that is all moot.
        I think we both agree on that. It just got a little, okay a lot dicey at the end. They will tighten that up.

Can't wait to find out where we play! You know the other team is going to be thinking "Anybody but South Dakota State!"

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          Can't wait to find out where we play! You know the other team is going to be thinking "Anybody but South Dakota State!"

SUPERBUNNY
          I was actually thinking about that as the clock ran out yesterday afternoon. Is there any possiblity that the Jacks' opponent would think that, with the struggles they have had this year, that this team isn't as talented as last year? Maybe we can still catch a team off-guard.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Why can't we be better winners here? There is no need to bash the ORU players. Luper could have rant and raved about some of the calls yesterday, but she didn't. She just went down court to play some more. I sat near the USA Basketball representative who was there to watch both Maria AND Luper/Bingham. That says a lot for all three.

He was livid about the calls going for the home team. He said the charge was the worst call possible during that time of the game. We had perfect angle from near the ORU band. He also said they blew the call right afterwards near the sideline when Luper was tackled after stealing the ball.

I went back to Brookings and watched the taped game, we got very lucky on big calls late in regulation. The charge call would have put them up by one granted the free throw made. Then the team control call with no free throws shot, yet they still made two points on free throws anyway.

"Win with pride, but also realize we had help." a quote from USA Basketball.

Comment

I was actually thinking about that as the clock ran out yesterday afternoon. Is there any possiblity that the Jacks' opponent would think that, with the struggles they have had this year, that this team isn't as talented as last year? Maybe we can still catch a team off-guard.
              Every bit as TALENTED. When all the parts EXECUTE like the well-oiled machine that they CAN BE, WATCH OUT. Need to avoid the sputtering that occurred in the last 3:30, especially the BAD TO that were made on passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                Why can't we be better winners here? There is no need to bash the ORU players. Luper could have rant and raved about some of the calls yesterday, but she didn't. She just went down court to play some more. I sat near the USA Basketball representative who was there to watch both Maria AND Luper/Bingham. That says a lot for all three.

He was livid about the calls going for the home team. He said the charge was the worst call possible during that time of the game. We had perfect angle from near the ORU band. He also said they blew the call right afterwards near the sideline when Luper was tackled after stealing the ball.

I went back to Brookings and watched the taped game, we got very lucky on big calls late in regulation. The charge call would have put them up by one granted the free throw made. Then the team control call with no free throws shot, yet they still made two points on free throws anyway.

"Win with pride, but also realize we had help." a quote from USA Basketball.
                I was just coming to say something similar... a lot of posters are ripping ORU like we Lost rather than won the game.

I thought ORU had a great season and showed a lot of heart yesterday. I think we should be respecting a program that as it grows is only going to push us to get better, and as a conference get more respect.

Comment

IMO, the flip-side of not subbing players in enough affecting recruiting could be SDSU's "Line Change" coaching style. One one hand you have basically no minutes from the bench and on the other you have the minutes spread out over 8-10 players. Either way a recruit could see this as having an adverse effect on her own numbers. Not saying either is wrong or right.

As long as a program has sustained success and good recruiting staffs, the players will come. The chance to be on championship teams tends to overrule a playing time issue.
                  You make a good counterpoint to my point. My response to that is: AJ recruits not only a certain type of player, but a certain type of personality too. Those personalities know that they are a part of something bigger than themselves. This is why I believe having our team have so many kids get so many minutes is not an issue.

Comment

I was only able to watch the first half on TV yesterday,and Maria flashed open underneath behind the defense many times and no attempt was made to get the ball down there. Most of those times the ball was at the top of the key - it's a risky pass to make from there,but Maria was open running the baseline.

Comment

He was livid about the calls going for the home team. He said the charge was the worst call possible during that time of the game.
                      I've watched it at least 10 times on DVR and Macie beat her to the spot...period. A charge is a charge, I don't care how much time is on the clock or what the game situation is. Also, at one point in the second half, team fouls were 8 to 2...guess which team had more. Some of that is style of play, but ORU got their fair share of breaks during the game.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                        I've watched it at least 10 times on DVR and Macie beat her to the spot...period. A charge is a charge, I don't care how much time is on the clock or what the game situation is. Also, at one point in the second half, team fouls were 8 to 2...guess which team had more. Some of that is style of play, but ORU got their fair share of breaks during the game.
                        Over on the ORU board,they agreed that the charge was the right call after watching the replay. They said it was a great effort by Macie to get in position to take the charge.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Over on the ORU board,they agreed that the charge was the right call after watching the replay. They said it was a great effort by Macie to get in position to take the charge.
                          That's Macie..... She's probably better at doing that than anyone else on the team.

Watch how quickly she gets her feet set to take a charge sometime. It's pretty dang cool.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Please post the link to that site.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                              Her left foot is still a foot off the ground at impact. The USA Rep is also a Big 12 referee who is working the men's conference tourney. I think that I'll take his word for it.

Comment

Her left foot is still a foot off the ground at impact. The USA Rep is also a Big 12 referee who is working the men's conference tourney. I think that I'll take his word for it.
                                Of course, in the end, it's a charge if the ref calls it a charge.

Also, the organization that certifies and hires the Big 12 refs certifies and hires the refs that work at Frost Arena.

Not saying that this guy was off his nut, just saying that the outfit that gives him his credentials is, shall we say, not exactly known for exercising good judgment in its hiring decisions..

Comment

Working...
                                X