Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Jacks-Westerwinds GDT

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    I did. OSU by single or low double digits-- about 8 or 10 (I think). SDSU was just emerging (as today) from the dark ages of the mid-sixties. I remember running into a fellow grad (Denny Veghi--we were in different rock bands before graduating in 67) and having students ask him about Raoul Duarte-- who was new and from South America (Colombia, maybe?)

Hank Iba looked ancient to me and I remember thinking he had been in Stillwater forever. Now I'm just about as old and have been in my job just about forever.

Gallagher Hall was small but packed. I think they expanded it in the nineties around the original court to keep the magic in the building.

Much better basketball school at that time then OU was, that's for sure.

Nice memory... rep points coming your way

Comment

I apologize for contributing to the thread drift and I am apologizing in advanced for this post, which will continue the thread drift, but I just wanted to let some of my thoughts on the media/journalism topic while the forum is presenting itself.

First off, yes, I feel the journalism department at SDSU is good, and that is the reason I posted earlier about wanting them to be more involved in the media production of the Jacks games. I understand funding is probably the issue for this not being so, but I think SDSU is missing a golden opportunity to enhance their athletic fan base as well as their reputation in the academic community.

Think for a moment of how attractive SDSU's communications/journalism program could be to talented young people interest in media production, reporting, and commentating, if the department offered opportunities that few other schools could provide. These opportunities could be in the form of grad assistantships that would not only help pay for schooling, but would also provide future job training alongside professionals within the industry, giving them an edge in landing employment over other journalism grads. The media production would be student assisted, not student ran like others, which would keep the production professional, but also develop students alike. Having positions such as color commentary, sideline reporting, and camera work done by grad assistants (which helps ensure talented, knowledgable students in these positions since there would be an application process as well as require an undergraduate degree) alongside faculty and professionals within the industry to help tutor them, would increase the quality of the product SDSU puts on the job market, garning esteem from employeers and peers alike.

How would this help increase the fan base? Glad you asked!
      Have you ever wondered why we have fans of USC and Notre Dame in South Dakota who have never even been to California or Indiana? This is because schools that our visable are more likely to encourage people become fans of that respected institution, and this is especially relevent amongst younger kids. Now I'm not saying that SDSU will ever be on that kind of national scale, but we should be made just as visable within the local communities of South Dakota, Southwestern Minnesota and Northwestern Iowa as any other big school would be in these respective areas. This is where the communication/journalism department at SDSU could help make the schools athletic programs more visable, for if the coverage and production of the game was handled by the school, it would be more cost-effective for a local media outlet to broadcast the games. Now I admit I have little more than observational knowledge on how television contracts and such work, but bare with me please. If SDSU is worried about local television broadcasts hurting the the home attendance for games, I think it would be feasable to work out a deal with the conference to have access to media coverage for road, conference games, giving locals access to the school's athletic program that would not be normally available to most fans, hoping inturn to create a buzz and increase home attendance.

Obviously everything I have laid out requires money, which I am certain South Dakota State University doesn't have just laying around. However, I have faith that if someone with more knowledge of the industry and the department than myself built on these ideas and came out with a detailed plan of action, there would be donors and boosters willing to support it. If successful, it would more than likely pay for itself, whether it be through increased attendance at sporting events, increased admissions from university visability, the creations of future donors who owe some of their success to communication/journalism department, or a combination of the three.

I apologize for this ridiculously long post and appreciate anyone who took the time to read it all. I am currently in graduate school at MNSU - Mankato for sport management, hoping to someday become a college athletic director myself, so these are just some of the things I think about.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Kemo. When I went to Mankato State Univ. It will always be Mankato State and not Minn State, They had a Television and Radio Production major, do they still have it and what do they do if they do. I watched a couple of MSU games online and they only had one camera and spotty announcing.
        There goes the thread somemore. Waaaaayyyyy off course. Hurry up IUPUI so we can get back on course.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          I apologize for contributing to the thread drift and I am apologizing in advanced for this post, which will continue the thread drift, but I just wanted to let some of my thoughts on the media/journalism topic while the forum is presenting itself.

First off, yes, I feel the journalism department at SDSU is good, and that is the reason I posted earlier about wanting them to be more involved in the media production of the Jacks games. I understand funding is probably the issue for this not being so, but I think SDSU is missing a golden opportunity to enhance their athletic fan base as well as their reputation in the academic community.

Think for a moment of how attractive SDSU's communications/journalism program could be to talented young people interest in media production, reporting, and commentating, if the department offered opportunities that few other schools could provide. These opportunities could be in the form of grad assistantships that would not only help pay for schooling, but would also provide future job training alongside professionals within the industry, giving them an edge in landing employment over other journalism grads. The media production would be student assisted, not student ran like others, which would keep the production professional, but also develop students alike. Having positions such as color commentary, sideline reporting, and camera work done by grad assistants (which helps ensure talented, knowledgable students in these positions since there would be an application process as well as require an undergraduate degree) alongside faculty and professionals within the industry to help tutor them, would increase the quality of the product SDSU puts on the job market, garning esteem from employeers and peers alike.

How would this help increase the fan base? Glad you asked!
          Have you ever wondered why we have fans of USC and Notre Dame in South Dakota who have never even been to California or Indiana? This is because schools that our visable are more likely to encourage people become fans of that respected institution, and this is especially relevent amongst younger kids. Now I'm not saying that SDSU will ever be on that kind of national scale, but we should be made just as visable within the local communities of South Dakota, Southwestern Minnesota and Northwestern Iowa as any other big school would be in these respective areas. This is where the communication/journalism department at SDSU could help make the schools athletic programs more visable, for if the coverage and production of the game was handled by the school, it would be more cost-effective for a local media outlet to broadcast the games. Now I admit I have little more than observational knowledge on how television contracts and such work, but bare with me please. If SDSU is worried about local television broadcasts hurting the the home attendance for games, I think it would be feasable to work out a deal with the conference to have access to media coverage for road, conference games, giving locals access to the school's athletic program that would not be normally available to most fans, hoping inturn to create a buzz and increase home attendance.

Obviously everything I have laid out requires money, which I am certain South Dakota State University doesn't have just laying around. However, I have faith that if someone with more knowledge of the industry and the department than myself built on these ideas and came out with a detailed plan of action, there would be donors and boosters willing to support it. If successful, it would more than likely pay for itself, whether it be through increased attendance at sporting events, increased admissions from university visability, the creations of future donors who owe some of their success to communication/journalism department, or a combination of the three.

I apologize for this ridiculously long post and appreciate anyone who took the time to read it all. I am currently in graduate school at MNSU - Mankato for sport management, hoping to someday become a college athletic director myself, so these are just some of the things I think about.
          You should make a good one,you sure have the gift of gabb

Comment

Originally posted by shinman View Post
            You should make a good one,you sure have the gift of gabb
            Actually I'm generally have a pretty reserved personality unless I have too much coffee... which was the case today!
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
              Kemo. When I went to Mankato State Univ. It will always be Mankato State and not Minn State, They had a Television and Radio Production major, do they still have it and what do they do if they do. I watched a couple of MSU games online and they only had one camera and spotty announcing.
              There goes the thread somemore. Waaaaayyyyy off course. Hurry up IUPUI so we can get back on course.
              Didn't see it under the program listings, but it is probably still there, just bundled up with Mass Communications and/or Technical Communications programs "Mankato State" has to offer. As far as what they do, I have no clue, not in the program and don't know anyone here that is.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                And FYI: Journalism and Mass Comm has recently grown to become the largest program in the College of Arts & Sciences at SDSU.
                Previously it was chemistry, right?

BTW: the Art department is, if memory serves, in the top 5 as well.

Of course it would be nice if the BoR recognized that and 1) gave SDSU BFA & MFA majors and 2) funded some improvements to Grove Hall (the Art department has been getting engineering college 'hand me downs' for the past 60 years at least).

Comment

Go jacks!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X